Ahh...while I wait for the Hi-Decal sheet to show up for my Mig....I've decided to start on another one of my Airfix kits. A jetliner....the first airliner build I've done in a long while. (My last ones were a Monogram Connie and a Minicraft 707, done in TWA markings when I lived in San Diego).

I don't know what this bird will be yet. My kit has Lufthansa and Pan Am markings.....I'm not a big fan of Pan Am's "billboard" scheme. I like Lufthansa's 70's era cheatlines but I'll also investigate third party options (American Airlines, Delta Airlines, Braniff....lots and lots of airlines flew the 727 over its long career, and I flew on quite a few of them, mainly American and Hughes Airwest).

Boeing727-Assembly-BoxtopShot.jpg

Justin

Edited by Justin Davenport

After lots of sanding and Tamiya putty, I've assembled the fuselage. I put in four lead sinkers in the nose, as I don't want a tailsitter! One nice thing about this kit is that the fuselage doors are molded in, unlike the 737-200 kit, which I started but lost a door...anyway, here's the fuselage:

Boeing727-Assembly-AssembledFuselag.jpg

Thanks Madmike...I hope you get this kit someday. I've built and added the wings, with the curved fences in their proper spots. I placed the horizontal stabilizers on but did not glue them....just for photo purposes. I'll take the stabilizers off and glue them on when the rest of the primer and full paint/decal job is finished. (Speaking of which, I'm thinking of some ideas, mainly airlines I've flown on).

Boeing727-Assembly-FinishedFuselage.jpg

I've glued in the windshield with the help of Testors clear parts cement. Now it's on to the masking/priming phase. Followed by acquisition of PSA, Hughes Airwest, United, TWA, American, or maybe Continental decals. PSA is current frontrunner due to availability and scheme appeal (the smiley face that used to dominate California skies).

Boeing727-Assembly-WindshieldInFuse.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It took a while but my TWA decals from Airline Hobby finally came in tonight. So tomorrow morning the painting will start. Here's a shot of the primed bird with the new decals. I was waiting to see if they would ever come in....the Lufthansa scheme was my backup.

Boeing727-Assembly-PrimedAirfram-1.jpg

Justin

Well, everyone, I've started the painting in earnest, splitting time this weekend with the F-15I Ra'am. I used the Tamiya rattle can USAF Light Gray as it looked like a decent match for the pics of the 727 wing topside I found on airliners.net. I can always gloss it up if I feel like it, but right now I'm happy. Next comes on the Coroguard (Tamiya metallic gray and white mix) then masking of the wings and getting the underside done, followed by the white topside. I'm using Tamiya Bare Metal Silver and Gloss Aluminum for the metal areas on the wings and elevators, and will use Gloss Black + Alclad Polished Aluminum on the underside and engine nacelles. The exhausts get Tamiya Light Gunmetal spray can.

Boeing727-Assembly-PaintedWingsAndE.jpg

• 2 months later...

Well....the weather in Salt Lake turned bitter cold just after my last update and my airbrush compressor gave out so I had to replace it. I've finally been able to resume serious work just this month, and after some struggle I found the right mix of thinner and paint to get my homebrew Coroguard to work:

Boeing727-Assembly-PaintedCoroguard.jpg

Thanks Ray....I've now masked off the wings and painted the engine nacelles gloss black in preparation for Alclad. (Painter's Touch Gloss Black works great, I've heard so many bad things about the Alclad Black Primer I won't touch it with a 10 foot pole). After I get the Polished Aluminum areas done I'll mask them off, then it's on to the white.

Justin

Thanks Ray....I've now masked off the wings and painted the engine nacelles gloss black in preparation for Alclad. (Painter's Touch Gloss Black works great, I've heard so many bad things about the Alclad Black Primer I won't touch it with a 10 foot pole). After I get the Polished Aluminum areas done I'll mask them off, then it's on to the white.

Justin

Justin

Are you using Alclad II? If so in the UK I use Halfords Grey Primer as an undercoat then their Gloss Black as a top coat for Alclad II. These are acrylic car paints, the Alclad goes on top of them beautifully and you get a lot more value for money out of the car paints!!

Yes, I am using Alclad II. I've seen a number of posts from British modelers saying they use Halfords spray paints and their models looked good...but I'm afraid I've never heard of that brand being available here in the states. At your average Home Depot you'll find Krylon, Painter's Touch, etc....I've used Krylon gloss and flat white in the past with decent results. But yeah, you do get a lot more paint for your money with those big tall cans.

Justin

• 2 weeks later...

I spent the last two weekends working on this bird....finally got a decent Alclad finish for the underside but had a disaster with my engine nacelles so I've rebuilt and redone them. At least it was the engine nacelles and not the airframe itself.

I also got the gloss white on...using several coats of Tamiya white primer followed by light coats of Painter's Touch gloss white (Spray can). I had to do some sanding and respray a few times....the bird doesn't look perfect but it looks good enough.

Boeing727-Assembly-PaintedAirframe.jpg

Justin -

Looking really great...can't wait to see the finished build.

I have had this kit and those decals in my stash since the late 80's, just never got around to it.

My father is a retired TWA captain, and logged more time in the '727 than any other a/c in his career which probably equates to about 20,000 hrs.

Keep post'n pics.

Thanks both of you....here's one last shot from tonight. I've gotten the TWA decals on - except for the registration, flag, and door decals, those will come tomorrow or Tuesday. It was a struggle to get the stripes on but with some help from the extra striping they had for the 727-100, I got the job done. The bird will look pretty good from about 2-3 feet away but I don't think it'll win any contests. However, I got some good practice on gloss white and BMF, those two are never easy.

Boeing727-Assembly-PartialDecalingC.jpg