My 1/32 Academy F-18D ordnance

Hello, everybody!

I think it's time to show you something I've been hiding from you in my sleeve for a long time. :(

Among all other things are subjects of my issue presently, I'm still continuing progress on the ordnance for my Academy's 1/32 scale Hornet.

I've chosen the ordnance as follows:

AIM-9M on the wing tip pylons, AMG-84D and AIM-7 on the underwing pylons and drop tank on CL pylon.

I'm not sure the scheme is standard, but I like the ordnance chosen.

Well, the point is that I hate thick in-kit fins, that's why I managed to alter all fins on the ordnance.

Having dug out authentic drawings of AIM-9M in the Web, I started with the fore fins.

The progress you can see below.

The fin made of 0.3 mm thick plasticard.

51947--14207257-m549x500.jpg

Fin shaped with the use of modeling knife

51947--14207271-400.jpg

Next step - adding the hub (streched sprue)

51947--14207295-400.jpg

Applying of Tamiya putty to form fin/hub junction

51947--14207300-400.jpg

The junction is shaped

51947--14207309-400.jpg

Bolt engraving done with the use of modeling knife

51947--14207314-400.jpg

Bolt added

51947--14207321-400.jpg

Now the fin is ready to be cast.

These are resin copies of the fin made by Zactoman.

51947--14207327-400.jpg

I'm sure the fins would be very nice improvement to all 1/32 scale military jets modelers and I hope Chris "Zactoman" will retail them if you would convince him to do that.

Actually the whole AIM-9 is a subject of my issue in foreseeable future but before it's done (God only knows when :D ) you can give your Sidewinders more realistic apperance by adding the fins. :D

Happy modeling!

Alexander.

:D

Edited by Eastern

Now some more progress.

Excessive material removed and fin is ready to be inserted 51947--14207384-400.jpg

Now fins on their place

51947--14207366-m549x500.jpg

51947--14207364-m549x500.jpg

51947--14207379-m549x500.jpg

The fins seem look nice to my eye and the next step would be painting.

I intend to use Tamiya enamel Chrome Silver mixed with Gun Metal in experienced proportion

using photos of the real items.

To be continued...

Cheers!

Alexander.

Nice!! These should be a nice addition to the kits weapons. Add some small details for interest :cheers:

Can't wait to see more of your work Alexander :D

Thanks for reply, Antony!

Sure, I will add small details to my future AIM-9 build. I intend to make it so as it woulld be an exact

scaled replica of the real thing. B)

More of my work you can see here:

http://pilot64.gallery.ru/

Hey, sv51macross! Thanks for the kind words!

Cheers!

Alexander.

Show off! B)

Ha-ha! Does it matter? The point is to offer the fin to those who will value it and maybe would like to improve

their own builds. Would you, Taiidan Tomcat? ;)

Happy modeling!

Alexander.

Very neat fins Alexander. IMHO, the addition of the tiny fixing bolts at the base of the fin adds that little something special

They represent a significant improvement over kit items.

I hope they do go on general release. They're sure to spruce up the 'Winders on any 32nd scale model until you can release the whole thing :)

:cheers:

Edited by geedubelyer
I hope Chris "Zactoman" will retail them if you would convince him to do that.
You're really trying to keep me busy! Thank you my friend :worship:

Those missiles look outstanding with the replacement fins! :worship:

Question for potential customers:

Do you think selling just the front fins (with a seeker head cover) is good enough or would you rather have the whole missile in resin?

Should I offer both options, 'fins and cover' now and 'the whole missile' later?

You're really trying to keep me busy! Thank you my friend :wacko:

Those missiles look outstanding with the replacement fins! :)

Question for potential customers:

Do you think selling just the front fins (with a seeker head cover) is good enough or would you rather have the whole missile in resin?

Should I offer both options, 'fins and cover' now and 'the whole missile' later?

I love this thread... thick fins are pretty much a pet modelling peeve of mine so this would solve that problem superbly. Chris, to answer your question, from my point of view the missile body is not required, but rear fins would certainly be a nice complement.

Marcel

Hi, guys! Thanks for the feedback. Whole thing is much nicer, indeed, but it tooks a lot of time!

In any way, - considered.

Hey, Chris, I do know you are much busy...but I hope any nice and useful product would be welcome? :doh:

Hi, Guy! Thanks for the appreciation. But all hard work is still ahead. :whistle:

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander.

You're really trying to keep me busy!

Those missiles look outstanding with the replacement fins!

Hi Zacto, my $0.02.......offer the fins and seeker head cover right off the bat and then add the whole missile set to the inventory once Alexander has completed the master. That way, you get the best of both worlds.

Is it possible to use any excess resin from other pours to make fins each time you cast a batch of product or would you have to specifically mix for the fins?

Good luck with this one. It should prove popular given how many jets have/do use the AIM-9 :trolls:

Hi Zacto, my $0.02.......offer the fins and seeker head cover right off the bat and then add the whole missile set to the inventory once Alexander has completed the master. That way, you get the best of both worlds.

Is it possible to use any excess resin from other pours to make fins each time you cast a batch of product or would you have to specifically mix for the fins?

Good luck with this one. It should prove popular given how many jets have/do use the AIM-9 :trolls:

Hi, Guy! The fins along with the cover would be nice but adding whole set to the inventory would be prematurely in my opinion.

It would be a long term build because I'm a little busy with Mig-29 ordnance presently and I would say it's a veeery looong story to tell. :wub:

Hey, Chris, what you think?

Alexander.

;)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, now the next issue is to alter in-kit Harpoons. In the kit they are offered as "inert". I want to my Harpoons to be "live". :taunt:

Starting with the missile body.

Make slit to shape an air intake duct and then add air intake.

51947--15264996-m549x500.jpg

Next step is making the air duct using thin plastic sheets.

51947--15265005-m549x500.jpg

51947--15265012-m549x500.jpg

Now the duck is done.

51947--15265029-m549x500.jpg

After some sanding the air intake is done.

51947--15265036-m549x500.jpg

Next step is tinkering with Harpoon's fins.

I've made masters using in-kit fins. Here they are:

Fore fin master

51947--15265045-m549x500.jpg

Rear fin master

51947--15265051-m549x500.jpg

Chris "Zactoman" kindly cast the fins for me and now they are a nice improvment to my build.

Hey, Chris, thank you much once again!

51947--15265078-m549x500.jpg

To be continued...

Alexander.

Very meticulous and exacting work executed perfectly Alexander.

The painted Sidewinder fins are a huge improvement over any that I've seen recently and will be a significant addition to any 1/32nd scale missile.

The work on the Harpoon is very nice too. Am I to understand that these might also be offered by Zactomodels or did Chris cast sets only for your use?

Any plans to upgrade any other ordnance in 1/32nd scale? :lol:

:taunt:

Very meticulous and exacting work executed perfectly Alexander.

The painted Sidewinder fins are a huge improvement over any that I've seen recently and will be a significant addition to any 1/32nd scale missile.

The work on the Harpoon is very nice too. Am I to understand that these might also be offered by Zactomodels or did Chris cast sets only for your use?

Any plans to upgrade any other ordnance in 1/32nd scale?

Hiya, Guy! Thanks for the nice words on the Sidewinder fins. As for the Harpoon's fins, they are not so crisp and accurate to be retailed. I didn't find any high-resolution pics of AGM-84 in the net. In any way the fins are much better as that in-kit and the new ones appear to be a very nice improvement to my Hornet. :)

Alexander.

:bandhead2:

Fantastic work Alexander... very very impressive! Thick fins really bother me and you've turned vice into virtue. Any news as to when us mere mortals can lay our hands on some of those bad boys?

Marcel

Oh, Marcel, I nearly missed your reply. As for those "bad boys", well, Sidewinder's fins are good enough to retail them (if we would persuade Chris to do that) but as for the Harpoon' fins, they are not so good for other fellow modelers becouse they are not accurate and neat. And then, AGM-84 (in my opinion) is not so popular as, say, AIM-9 or AIM-120 to master it. I've just chosen Harpoons for my own build along with AIM-7 Sparrow (BTW, TwoBobs issued a very nice decal for AIM-7 :D ) and AIM-9M.

Alexander.

:monkeydance:

Well, Ladies and Gents, the show goes on. :)

Now I'd like to share my way of making rivets. Maybe it's not a discovering of America so far but some fellow modelers supposedly are not familiar with that way of riveting simulation. :D

I often use ordinary syringe needle to make rivets. Take a needle of suitable diameter, cut it leaving appr. 6 mm for large needles and 2 mm for insulin needle. Treat the end with a file and the tool is ready for the use. Then take the tool with thumb and fore finger, apply it onto the place and rotate it clockwise/counterclockwise while pressing it slightly until a sircle appears (as deep as you like, up to you). Then sand the area smooth. The result is as follows:

51947--15303126-m549x500.jpg

51947--15265074-m549x500.jpg

Smaller rivets on white plastic strips are made with insulin syringe needle.

Now the time came to make jet nozzle details.

I used some F-15 in-kit ordnance to make the exhaust pipe.

51947--15265057-m549x500.jpg

51947--15265061-m549x500.jpg

Then using thin plastic sheet, streached sprue and the tool I made other details.

51947--15265076-m549x500.jpg

That's all for now...

Alexander.

• 2 weeks later...