F4F-3 Martlet Mk III. Tamiya 1/48

Hi gents,

I used the Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat and transformed it into a F4F-3A. The main transformation was to eliminate the wings folding joint and the external machine gun in each wing.

I used the Aires detail set for the Wildcat to detail the cockpit, gun bays and engine. The detailing of the engine was made with rods of styrene and stretched sprue and copper wire of several thickness. The camouflage was painted with Vallejo´s Model Air colors. The weathering was made airbrushing a lighter tone on each color and then some oil paint. On the wing roots I added some pigment to give a dusty look.

Some more pics:Scaleworks

Cheers.

Q

F4F-3%20Martlet%2002.jpg

F4F-3%20Martlet%2006.jpg

F4F-3%20Martlet%2010.jpg

Edited by Diego Quijano

my mouth is open..and I can only keep saying 'wow'.

48th? That looks more like the sort of things that you see at museums... in 1:1 scale!

"some patience" he says in his blog... talk about an understatement.

Awesome! In addition to the excellent modeling, your photoography is very impressive. If not too much trouble, can you briefly describe your photoshoot setup? I am particularly interested in the number and nature (bulb type, color, and power) of your light sources and how they are placed.

Thank you people.

Janissary: This is my photo-set. I have 5 halogen lamps (like the used for garden lighting). I use a sheet of tracing paper in front of each lamp to make the light more diffuse. These lamps produce much heat so a fan is also needed to take away the hot air from the model. I just turn on the lights when I take the photo and immediately turn them off.

dscn3440p1.jpg

dscn3437p1.jpg

Edited by Diego Quijano