I have decided to depict this scene, for the most part. The main gear will already be on the deck but the nose gear up, and the wire caught

http://www.navy.mil/management/photodb/pho...N-0226M-117.jpg

I will be using the 48th scale Testors kit, and Two Bobs sheet

DSC_5182_r.jpg

I have started the surgery to include removing the flaps and rudders, and drilling out the gun vents. The mix of plastic colors is from mixing old and new releases from my stash

DSC_5179_r.jpg

Seeing the horizontal stabs need to be rotated a bit, and the Testors ones use a tab/slot to join the pieces, I decided to use Monograms with the rounded attachment. I separated the pieces from the long horizontal piece contecting the 2, and reinforced the attachment with aluminum tubing

DSC_5180_r.jpg

The kit seats are horrible, and I will being Verlinden resin ones

DSC_5181_r.jpg

thanks for looking

cheers

Ken

small photo update - added the braces to the tails, and the one on the right could be a tad slimmer. Oh well. I added the rudders back on at a slight angle on each, and lightly made 2 cuts in each to represent the hinge location

I also modified the nose gear to be off the ground and extended using aluminum tubing and plastic sheet for the scissors part

DSC_5183_r.jpg

I also worked ont the fuselage with some details, but not worthy of pics yet

thanks for looking

Ken, I don't know your in-flight dioramas, but I have no doubts this one will be outstanding... :D

Hope you don't mind to sneak in and copy some ideas from this built, since you're making B Hornet, too. :cheers:

Regards, supergru

Ken, I don't know your in-flight dioramas, but I have no doubts this one will be outstanding... :lol:

Hope you don't mind to sneak in and copy some ideas from this built, since you're making B Hornet, too. :thumbsup:

Regards, supergru

thanks, I will do my best! I hope ot have a pic or 2 later tonight or tomorrow

here's the latest in-progress shots

some clean up has to happen still. But I got the right wing flaps on. This is my first attempt at doing Hornet flaps, and using the existing hinges underneath made them fiddly. I gently cut the hinges and bent them to the angle needed. The aileron portion shoud be separate from the main flap, but that would have made the smaller flap pieces not have a good connection, so I kept it. There is a panel line which I will darken when weathering.

DSC_5185_r.jpg

Not pretty, but got the job done

As you can see the fuselage station pieces are exaggerated and more in line with the development Hornet. I had thought about cutting them down and fairing the front part in, but decided not to

DSC_5187_r.jpg

thanks for looking

Ken

As you can see the fuselage station pieces are exaggerated and more in line with the development Hornet. I had thought about cutting them down and fairing the front part in, but decided not to

I think those are not just overdone station recesses, but are instead representations of the adapters for fitting targeting pods at those stations. Here's a picture:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/sys...ges/atflir1.jpg

But as long as you don't plan on displaying the aircraft upside down, I don't think anyone will notice if you left them.

I think those are not just overdone station recesses, but are instead representations of the adapters for fitting targeting pods at those stations. Here's a picture:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/sys...ges/atflir1.jpg

But as long as you don't plan on displaying the aircraft upside down, I don't think anyone will notice if you left them.

yep, thanks for the pic, they are also a bit too long, but are the type on the development aircraft based on pics I have seen. It won't be upside down landing on the carrier LOL

• 4 weeks later...

Ken,

I don't think it will make much difference with the markings you have chosen, but you might want to take a look at the location of the vertical tail formation lights location. Both Hasegawa and Academy have them mislocated just a bit. Hasegawa more than Academy. I am working from 1/72nd kits, so maybe they fixed it with the bigger kits. But it is worth looking at. It becomes very apparent when you try to properly locate some markings that index on some part of those slime lights.

Are you having fun with the flaps and slats yet?

Norm

Ken,

I don't think it will make much difference with the markings you have chosen, but you might want to take a look at the location of the vertical tail formation lights location. Both Hasegawa and Academy have them mislocated just a bit. Hasegawa more than Academy. I am working from 1/72nd kits, so maybe they fixed it with the bigger kits. But it is worth looking at. It becomes very apparent when you try to properly locate some markings that index on some part of those slime lights.

Are you having fun with the flaps and slats yet?

Norm

Norm - thanks for the tip. From what I remember, I think they are OK. When I did this one a couple years back, the decals lined up well.

The flaps need a bit of sanding and shaping. I know I won't get them perfect, but will do my best. I didn't attempt the slats - that seemed like a major project!

thanks

Ken

100_8159.JPG