Not decided on what decals to use yet, but will be straight OOB, (except decals, duh) no aftermarket, no scratch building. Gonna take my sweet time with this and see if I can really produce a high quality model. Only about the 10th model I have ever built, so I will see if I can bring together all the skills I have been practicing.

Looking forward to learning many things from all the experts in this build, and getting some realistic critiques on the build.

ARRGGHHH......and I hope all had a safe New Years Eve!

:unsure:

Well, you've got a whole heck of a lot of folks here who can help out in a number of ways.

Building a kit OOB, something I just can't do, but I'm looking forward to seeing this for sure.

Cheers!

Mark.

Finally found the time to upload a photo of what I am doing, still unsure about which set of decals to use, but believe I will be going with Mount-N-Ride. Also going to go against the trend and will not depict this as historically accurate. Thinking about trying something different with the paint job and do a desert paint job from the Africa Corp (I know it didn't serve there, but the kids like the way it looks) if I can get my hands on the correct type of paint, desert pink FS30279. So far I haven't been able to locate,back up plan is just flat OD with some shading.

So far I have the interior floor done, and working on the seats and IP, more to come when I get a chance, getting a late start on this one.

Regards

B-17Gstart.jpg

I like the subtle advertising for the "Future" dead center on the table, middle of the picture... well done! Priorities!

How do you find that kit - I've got an idea for something right out of left field that RightWinger threw at me one day... that kit... plus the front end of 4 P-40's... is it a good kit all around?

So far the kit has great fit and I am very pleased with it. One bad knock I have on it, the kit has variations for 5 different builds and the instructions get kind of confusing as to which parts are for different builds. This is the first kit I have done by Academy so I have to get used to how they do the instructions.

I found the kit at AC Moore, the closest thing to a LHS in my area, otherwise I have to order all on-line.

Update....I haven't been able to get hold of the desert pink paint, so final paint will be a OD finish, will try to get some pictures up this weekend. Have a question for all in regards to paint. I picked up some zinc chromate and it is more bright yellow than off green. Is that the color it is supposed to be? The instructions call for it to be all zinc chromate on the interior, but my color just doesn't look right.

Thanks

I've heard this of the academy kits, and can see where you are coming from. I can see the horizontal stabs for the early shark tailed 17's on your sprues.

About zinc chromate, I prefer interior green to ZC anyday. ZC is too damn bright out of the bottle for scale, even on a 48th scale fort. But, ZC can work pretty well and look much better if you do a wash on it which will tone it down greatly. You already have it, might as well use it.

How do you find that kit - I've got an idea for something right out of left field that RightWinger threw at me one day... that kit... plus the front end of 4 P-40's... is it a good kit all around?

This is something I would love to do someday! The one allison engined B-17, I've got a pic of it somewhere.

General building question for everyone. Upon digging into the instructions for my kit, it looks like I am painting and placing all fine detail on the a/c, then painting the exterior. Is this correct? I have never built a fort, and used to adding all the small detail last not first.

Would you actually go and mask over everything after the build is complete then shoot the exterior paint, or should I shoot the exterior paint from the get go once I am satisfied that the fit is correct?

General building question for everyone. Upon digging into the instructions for my kit, it looks like I am painting and placing all fine detail on the a/c, then painting the exterior. Is this correct? I have never built a fort, and used to adding all the small detail last not first.

Would you actually go and mask over everything after the build is complete then shoot the exterior paint, or should I shoot the exterior paint from the get go once I am satisfied that the fit is correct?

I'm odd, but I'd shoot the fuselage early, before the windows were in and still in halves. Some of the real plants did this. The thing being that if you are saving the paint, you can blend the seems agterwards. Also the upper surfaces tended to a) fade or :wave: get tracked on during servicing. look at some pictures. As for the underside, the true bottom is going to vary from the sides anyway, so the method almost forces reality. I like to spray the detail parts after cleaning them up still on the sprues. Again the area were they attached can be finely airbrushed along with the seem blending. I know this is not the popular way to go, but its what I've done on several builds and it works for me. Another advantage is that if you decal the factory markings while still in halves, they will get weathered along with the paint. I looove to see this spankin' clean insignia on pre-post-counter shaded planes, get my drift? Also, If theparticular plane's decals fail, you can switch subjects with relative ease.

Phil

Alright, update for this weekend. finally finished the office area so I can start working on the rest.

Not to happy with the color of the zinc chromate, but its already started so will stick with it. Lost one of the steering wheels off the yoke,so had to scratch build one. First time ever to do that (burned my finger tips a lot stretching the sprue! ouch). Not worried about winning ant raffle prizes with this, but having fun so far!!!

http://s776.photobucket.com/albums/yy48/ch...rent=aaa003.jpg

http://s776.photobucket.com/albums/yy48/ch...rent=aaa002.jpg

http://s776.photobucket.com/albums/yy48/ch...rent=aaa001.jpg

http://s776.photobucket.com/albums/yy48/ch...rent=aaa004.jpg

This hobby actually just became for for me!! I was having problems galore with my airbrush, (Badger 105 Patriot), from paint flow to actually getting a good misting coat, but I think I have it figured out. Today's progress below, got the bombs painted and interior done with the ugly zinc chromate that I am stuck with for now. Gonna let it cure and hopefully sometime this week apply a wash and complete the bomb bay section. Any critiques are welcomed and encouraged since I am still fairly new to this.

b002.jpg

b001.jpg

b003.jpg

This hobby actually just became for for me!! I was having problems galore with my airbrush, (Badger 105 Patriot), from paint flow to actually getting a good misting coat, but I think I have it figured out. Today's progress below, got the bombs painted and interior done with the ugly zinc chromate that I am stuck with for now. Gonna let it cure and hopefully sometime this week apply a wash and complete the bomb bay section. Any critiques are welcomed and encouraged since I am still fairly new to this.

b002.jpg

b001.jpg

b003.jpg

Doesn't look bad at all. One thing I've always done with bombs and weapons at least is cut one part off the sprues and glue to the other half. Then you can still sand some of the seam away before spraying and can spray both sides evenly with it still attached to the sprue.

Your zinc chromate is ok but I think it's juts wrong for this bird. I've seen ZC like that on navy planes and such but the air force planes were more greenish. It really all depends.

Keep it up.