1/48 RoG B-17F Lulu Belle

Well, between watching all of these outstanding builds, plus reading Master of the Air to stay in the spirit, I've caved in and have started my Fort. I know there will be absolutly no way I'll come close to finishing in time, but whatever, its all good fun. I'll be heading to Fallon in two weeks, and when I'm home I'll only get about an hour or so of work in a day before my old lady comes home from work, so dont expect much:) I'll be lucky to finish the interior by the time the build is finished. Now, on to my build. I'm going to be detailing an 1/48th F model, ala Mark style (though not nearly as good as LMM) using a hodgepodge of parts from the Revell G that will work, plus a lot of homemade stuff. All I have done so far, is trimmed the Bombadiers floor to have the right angle on it, removed the terrible looking "detail", cut out a floor for the Navigator, and outlined all of it on the interior of the nose so I can start adding ribs formers when I get a chance. Please keep in mind all of you rivit counters, I'm using all of the reference that I can find, but I am by no means a pro, close enough is fine by me, but I will be striving for as much accuracy as I can muster:) Pictures to follow when I can figure out how to use my old ladys digital camera.......I'm 32 and hate technology:)

Edited by rightwinger26

I havent really decided yet mark, I was thinking aobut getting those aftermarket noses so I could build My Devotion, or IZA Valiable. I might just get a after market Belle set to just use the kit nose, but I haev a while to think about it. Tonight I might be able to get the Bombadiers and Navigators floor attatched to each other, we'll see, I still have some trimming and sanding to do to get that "perfect" fit.

Quick update, I'm getting ready to start test fitting the modified kit parts and scratch built stuff in the nose and see if it fits, wish me luck. Also gonna start adding the ribs and formers to the nose. More to follow

OK Good Luck............ pictures???? we wont make fun or be mean I promise :thumbsup:

not much to take pictures of as of yet, unless you want to see a pile of cut up plastic. I SHOULD at least have all the un-needed stuff cut away and some things in place. Today I am going to try to make the Bombadiers floor "look" like plywood, cut away the old bomb door control yoke and put the resin one in its place, add the small cantilevers that hang into the nose, and start building a better looking mount for the Nordin Sight. I have to say, the RoG detail is abyssmal, I remembered it being better when I was a kid :thumbsup: pretty much have to cut everything away except the basics, then start......anew.

Here is the bombsight support in the B-17F:

Sightsupport.jpg

This is what the stabilizer (lower portion of the bombsight) actually attaches to:

sightsupportD.jpg

Items 1,2 and 3 correlate to the purple, blue, and green parts of the first drawing. The stabilizer attached to part 7 and then 7 is mounted to the shock mounts on 6.

Here it is in the airplane:

Bellebombardiersstation.jpg

Hope I haven't confused the issue too much!

No confusion at all, actually perfect timing, I just finished sanding off unwanted green blobs, using a model railroad technique of mine to simulate wood grain, and no I am ready to start building the bombsight mount. Those shock mounts look very similar to the FADEC shock mounts on a F414, if it aint broke don't fix it. You wouldn't happen to have a detail of the the two extensions that protrude into the nose on either side would you. I have some pictures that are fairly good, but they actually raised a few questions too. Thanks again

This may be what you are looking for. Taken when I visited her at the AFM in '08:

Belle2-24-06009.jpg

The little duct there blew heat at the bombardiers feet (in theory anyway!) You can also see it in the photo in my previous post.

And here is another shot from one of the '79 trips:

Bellephotos1979018.jpg

Kind of dark, but gives you another angle.

Edited by 100th BG

In much in agreeance to both of those comments, you have to be the luckiest guy in the world, spending a ton of time with Forts, and havign that much data at your finger tips. I'll throw some pictures up tomorrow, my old lady is gonna show me how to download pictures from her camera to the compute tomorrow. I wasn't kidding when I said I HATE technology. The only time my TV is even on right now is for Wipeout, Great Planes, or the NHL of CCHL. Hey Mark.....GO RED WINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was VERY lucky to make two trips to see the Belle in the fall of 1979. Thank goodness it happened. Just wish I had taken more photos. I can't believe I am the only person that took pictures back then. There had to be some modelers in Memphis who did the same thing, didn't there? I keep hoping more photos will pop up on the web someplace. I also wish whoever stole the pilot's portion of the instrument panel would return it along with all the other stuff that was "removed" over the years while it sat in the park. I know I was lucky and I am glad I can share with an interested audience. I just got a head start on most of you since I have been studying those photos since I took them!

I am an aircraft mechanic in the "real world", so I have a little deeper interest in systems and structures. Any time I can find something to further that interest, I pick it up. The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know. But I try to keep learning and the key to that is to keep an open mind. One cannot know it all and things one "knows" can be (and have been) proven wrong. I tend to browse WW II bomb group websites looking through their photos. Sometimes you can find some interesting things there as well.

Yes, well, it's rubbing off...

Just reading the latest Flight Journal article, and there's something in there about a B-17F going down on it's 7th mission. Great article... but as an addition to it, they tossed in "When is a G not a G" focusing only on the chin turret. It was actually upsetting to see that there is such a firm belief that no matter what's done to the -17s... as soon as an F has a chin turret, it's a G. The segment focuses on the B-17's coming off the line as the make/break for the argument, finding some odd info that states a few F's were made with the chin turret... missing the huge picture completely... given the amount of field modifications, the article makes the reader believe that the chin turret was only added in factories... many MANY F's (as we here know) had the field mod of the chin turret (not to mention many other things)... mute point, I put the magazine down, and am going to enjoy the pictures...

...still doesn't change the fact I'm extremely jealous of you being an FE on the Sentimental Journey... hahahaha...

Whaddya say Karl? A fully detailed 1/48 Belle? Done right?

Anywho, not to lose sight of this thread, again, INCREDIBLE pictures good Sir! Dark or not, still great pics. Cannot wait to see what you upload for us here later on!

Mark.

...still doesn't change the fact I'm extremely jealous of you being an FE on the Sentimental Journey... hahahaha...

Well, being the engineer leads one to stick ones head in all kinds of places...

MenFritzi.jpg

I'm the one on the ladder. Some say that is my best side... Should I be insulted????

Here are some pitcures.....finally, not much to look at but its a start

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac7/rig...pg?t=1298336976

Interior shot

and another.............

and yet.....another

Heres everything not painted or glued together, just a mock up for test fitting

Faux woodgrain

Layout for ribs adn formers

There will be more to come, just getting started, tomorrow I get home from work about a half hour before my old lady goes to work, so I;m gonna start scratch building a new mount for the bomb sight