CH-178 Hip (Mi-17V-5) 1/72

I'll enter this GB with my Canadian Hip build I started over two years ago and has been languishing since... hopefully like this I'll have more motivation to finish it!

I'm using the HobbyBoss Mi-8T kit, CanMilAir decals, and, for something new for me, a couple of Eduard PE sets (interior and rotor hub details)

100_0606_zps6d624a6e.jpg

I've been looking at photos of Russian and Venezuelan Mi-17V-5s as reference, since it scarcely seems likely I'll ever find any further useful photos of the Canadian Hips than the couple I've hitherto found, and based on those Russian and Venezuelan examples I've got this far with the interior so far:

100_0607_zpse6f18d7f.jpg

100_0608_zps1bb9f1ad.jpg

Biggest difference from the kit here is the one-piece console with the big CRT displays (or flatscreen or whatever they may be).

I've also got a little work done on the fuselage: got the major cutting done for the flat lifting door in the back, the double-width door at the side and the starboard side door, along with some detailing on the inside wall aft:

100_0610_zpsf955abc8.jpg

Still a looooong way to go yet, and this is pretty much the most daunting build I've ever undertaken, but hopefully I'll be able to get something decent out of this!

Still a looooong way to go yet, and this is pretty much the most daunting build I've ever undertaken, but hopefully I'll be able to get something decent out of this!

No worries, you've started a veeeeery interesting thread! Nice progress so far. Is there a reason why you painted the hull already yellow?

I think the nose is going to be a nice challenge. I know Flankerman has build a Mi-17V5. Here's a pic from his website:

Mi-8%20033.jpg

here's his website

You'll be amazed by his work. Quite an inspiration to say the least!

I've started one DEA/CIA mi-17 myself. Here's the link. It's in Dutch. I'll open a thread here soon.

All the best,

Daan

Edited by dæn

Hi Daan - thanks! Yeah, I know Flankerman's build - I'm using it as a reference for my own build!

The paint on the hull... I did that with the thought that that will make masking the side windows easier...

Had a look through your Dutch thread - your build and dio are looking great! :)

Canadians flew Mi-17s?

Yup, four of them (178404 through 178407). 178406 was last seen in 2010, the remaining three went to Graf Ignatievo in August 2011 (one apparently with a bunch of holes in), no idea where they've gone from there if they're not still there.

cfhip-0.jpg

Have made some slow progress on the cargo area, getting the etched stuff down. It's kinda slow going - tiny and fiddly. I didn't take a picture yet - I will after I've got some paint on it. And I just ordered the Eduard exterior detail set - it should be here by the time I'll actually need it.

Progress:

I managed to safely remove the 'roof' of the cockpit without damaging it, so I was able to add some of the PE inside. Of course, I couldn't use the pieces for the console, and I couldn't get in behind the seats, but I did manage to get the first aid boxes in and the instrument panels on the ceiling:

100_0616_zps77dbfecb.jpg

100_0617_zps5b25bfa6.jpg

Here's where the cargo area is:

100_0615_zps15bf2466.jpg

I'm content with how the floor is coming along. Still need to put down a black dashed line down the middle, then the floor will be ready for some weathering. After that, the wall.

I've also started working on the ceiling of the cargo area:

100_0614_zps04e7581f.jpg

Some progress made today, but only took one picture:

100_0618_zps2343e7cd.jpg

Got the floor of the cargo area finished - added the black dashed line using some spare number decals cut up and got the floor weathered. In a package of cheap eyeshadow I found some that were an array of browns and yellows that I'd never put on my face, so decided to try it for weathering... I think it turned out fairly decently! I used just those plus the black out of a Tamiya Weathering Master package.

Apart from that got a bit more work done on the ceiling of the cargo area, but not quite interesting enough to bother with a photo yet.

Thanks, guys!

@11bee: You know, it's funny how you can overlook the glaringly obvious! Those armour panels in the side windows are visible in all three 'close-up' shots of CH-178s I have, and yet I've noticed everything else /except/ that... and it's staring me right in the face. Thanks for pointing it out! Do you know if that was applied on the inside of the glass or the outside, or was the glass removed?

Didn't get much (that is, any) actual work done on this today - spent most of my available time on scouring the spares stash for parts adaptable to detailing the inside...

Thanks, guys!

@11bee: You know, it's funny how you can overlook the glaringly obvious! Those armour panels in the side windows are visible in all three 'close-up' shots of CH-178s I have, and yet I've noticed everything else /except/ that... and it's staring me right in the face. Thanks for pointing it out! Do you know if that was applied on the inside of the glass or the outside, or was the glass removed?

I studied these when I did my 1/35 Afghan Hip project. They are thin metal plates on the inside of the plexiglass. Most (not all) of the time, there is also a small vertical rectangular piece of armor directly in front of each set of rudder pedals to give the pilots a bit of protection from the front aspect. The floors are usually armored as well but this wouldn't be visible in 1/72.

Keep up the good work, that cockpit looks better in 1/72 than mine did in 1/35!!

Thanks for that tidbit - I can still look for some photos to see what the armour at the pedals might look like. If I find something useful, I'll add it before I close things up (which is probably a ways away yet!).

Even in 1/72 this is quite a big bird... can't begin to imagine the immensity in 1/35!

Crazy times at work means I haven't had much time to work on this, but a little progress is being made:

100_0619_zpsb61768c8.jpg

Photos are good for noticing things that need more attention - I see a couple of spots that need further work, and there's a bit more detail I want to add to this wall before I call it done and can move on to finishing the ceiling and the cargo bay walls.

A little progress:

100_0620_zps584045b3.jpg

I added a couple of small panels (the white square from .005" sheet and the little black one is a decal) and the hose part of the fire extinguisher... I think I can call the back wall finished now. I've also continued work on the ceiling - painted it, and put 'o' decals to represent the flush-mounted light fixtures... I think they'll look okay once everything is closed up.

Nice progress! How are you going to apply the armor-resistant 'blankets' (I don't know the English word for that) on the side walls?

Here's a pic of what I mean: (though there not from a great quality)

images_CAEMHNXN.jpg

maverick07.jpg

I used package material from coffee cups, it is easily used.

SAM_3311.jpg

SAM_3312.jpg

Photo1_4.jpg

Looking forward to your progress. Take care!

Daan

Edited by dæn

Hmm, I hadn't thought of doing that, since none of (useful) V-5 interior shots I found show it... it *is* present on some others I looked at. It does look like a fairly easy thing to do, though, and I am still puzzling over what I'm doing with the rest of the interior, so possibly.

I've been quite enjoying detailing the cargo bay but I will admit I'm kinda looking forward to finishing it so I can move on to the next steps!

Daan: as for figures... probably not. I don't have any and can't really afford to get any right now... and I probably wouldn't be able to paint them nicely enough!

Nothing really worth showing right now, progress has been very slow as work has been nuts. I've been putting those irritating little pieces of PE on. Agh, it sucks. Even when I've had half an hour to do some work, I haven't been able to bring myself to put more than three pieces on at a go... not fun.

Very interesting subject. Did you try searching Combat Camera for Hip images? Here are a couple links I found, after scrolling through more than 60 pages of images (the search function turned up nothing on Hip, but these images referred to CCAT or Civilian Canadian Air Transport helicopters. Catalogue numbers AR2011-0039-001, 002, 003 are the 3 I stumbled on.

http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/netpub/server.np?find&catalog=photos&template=results_eng.np&site=combatcamera&field=Keywords&op=contains&value=afghanistan&sorton=IPTC%20-%20Date%20Created&ascending=0&offset=1098

I sort of knew we operated Russian helos, but I am vague on who were the aircrew (were they leased with/without crew?) and who actually owned them. Will have to dig around and find out.

ALF