Tinting canopies tutorial

Hi all! After spending the afternoon playing around with some experiments I finally found a canopy tint method that I can't recall having ever seen before that I really like. Decided to lay it out in a two part tutorial. Figured I'd share.

Absolutely you can. You may need to play with concentrations though - you're adding a pretty thin film, so it may need more colouring than you'd expect.

Mofo,

Thanks for the advice. Will be trying it later I the new year on my F-14A build.

Joel

I tried tinting future and dipping the canopy in it, but that caused an uneven final coverage of the tint as future naturally pooled more towards the bottom edges of the canopy. I therefore like spraying your tint color first, followed by a future dip (after the paint is fully cured).

I tried tinting future and dipping the canopy in it, but that caused an uneven final coverage of the tint as future naturally pooled more towards the bottom edges of the canopy. I therefore like spraying your tint color first, followed by a future dip (after the paint is fully cured).

Janissary,

Thanks for the heads up. I'll do it your way.

Joel

• 3 months later...

I Always hand brushed (several layers of) Tamiya transparent green and smoke and was perfectly content with that. Nowadays Tamiya paint gets more difficult to obtain here and I am looking for other possibilities. Revell just released transparent red and blue, both work out ok. Too bad though that they forgot smoke and transparent green.

Now I am experimenting with Vallejo transparent green, but this turns out to be an ugly shade of flat green. Should I stay away from it (I have tried Vallejo before but have never understood the popularity of the stuff: I find the colours completely useless)? Since I fear though that it will be the last modelling paint available around here, I guess I will have to try harder to come to terms with it.

With what can I thin it? Both thinner or water didn't work (the paint just floats off the surface), what else can I use?

TIA Gertjan