From using my copy of the Navy Enlisted Classification Manual that I have the NEC of 9760 is applied those members going through inital school training for electrical and mechanical repairman. This is applied those going through school to become aviation machinist mates (AD), Aviation Electrians (AE), Aviation Bosumates (AB), Aviation Ordancemen (AO), Aviation Metalsmiths (AM), Aircrew Survial Equipmentman (PR), Aviation Support Techs (AS), Mineman (MN), Gas Turbine Tech (GS), Machinst Mates (MM), Interior Commuincation Electrition (IC), Construction Mechanic (CM), Engineman (EN), Electricans Mate (EM), Gunners Mate (GM), and finally Damage Controlman (DC).

It is a new series of NEC's that were created during the creation of the STAR 21 program.

That is all the gouge that I have.

I actually listened to this one from CNET himself in 2003 Karl. Say you have a son or daughter who joins the Navy as an enlisted member and they decided to become a Para Rigger and let us just say that NSWC Fallon needs a PR. NPC and CNET will have slated your child to go to NSWC Fallon after they are put on to the bus/plane/train to Great Mistakes, IL. So after graduation from boot camp at Great Lakes they will be sent to the closest US Navy base (like Lemoore) and sent through PR A-school. While at A school for tracking purposes at, the largest Moral Suppression Team in the USN, Naval Personnal Command Memphis they will have AN Sander listed with an NEC of 9760. Upon successful graduation that NEC will be stripped away and they will be sent on to a C-school if needed or right out to join NSWC Fallon. If AN Sander fails out of school for what ever reason he is given a choice of any one of those other schools and if it is close enough they can possible throw him in with in a couple of weeks (or a day if the school is across the street from the PR school) right in to the training since the basics started out the same. The whole idea is to streamline the introduction of new personnal to the ranks. It really got speed up after the Aviation Maintenace schools in Pensacola were trashed following the hurricane in 2004, this was only supposed to be for a trial run on a few aviation ratings. Well all of the Naval Aviation ratings are getting this.

Edited by A6BSTARM

Thanks for clearing that up A6.

The reason I asked is, my sister has a new boy friend who was claiming to have been "Navy Special Forces".

When I looked him up on military.com, that's where I got the MOS/job title number.

His last rank held was E-3 in the Navy Reserve, but just from talking with the guy, you'd would have thought he commanded SOCOM ops in Gulf War 1. Yet he seems to =know alot more about electrical work than he does combat tactics.

Having been around SF and Army Rangers pretty much the entire time I was enlisted, eroused my suspicions. Even when I asked him what his place was in the squad or fire team, he said his unit didn't have those. When I asked what weapons he was qualified with, all he could say is M-16. I know Navy SEAL operators are qualified to carry all different types of weapons, and mainly prefer the M-4 over the 16.

Anyway, we've all decided he's full of crap and are going to beat the truth out of the guy.

Just kidding.. :cheers:

Seriously, I'm going to have a great time letting him tell war stories over dinner next Monday, since one of our guests we're having come over was an ex-SEAL.

Actually, if NSAWC really needed a PR, they'd change the maintenance contract with Boeing to hire one :cheers: or possibly soon Northrop Grumman, who is bidding to take over the contract.

Though your boundless optomism in thinking I can con a broad into reproducing with me is certainly flattering...

The reason I asked is, my sister has a new boy friend who was claiming to have been "Navy Special Forces".

When I looked him up on military.com, that's where I got the MOS/job title number.

His last rank held was E-3 in the Navy Reserve, but just from talking with the guy, you'd would have thought he commanded SOCOM ops in Gulf War 1. Yet he seems to =know alot more about electrical work than he does combat tactics.

Having been around SF and Army Rangers pretty much the entire time I was enlisted, eroused my suspicions. Even when I asked him what his place was in the squad or fire team, he said his unit didn't have those. When I asked what weapons he was qualified with, all he could say is M-16. I know Navy SEAL operators are qualified to carry all different types of weapons, and mainly prefer the M-4 over the 16.

Anyway, we've all decided he's full of crap and are going to beat the truth out of the guy.

Just kidding.. :cheers:

Seriously, I'm going to have a great time letting him tell war stories over dinner next Monday, since one of our guests we're having come over was an ex-SEAL.

And if your guests is anything like the SEALS I work with here, or have seen come through here for various reasons, he probably doesn't advertise it, unlike this boyfriend....

One group of guys came through the club, looking a little shaggy haired - shaggy enough for their "cover" of being reserve C-40 (basically a 737 that says "Navy" on the side) to not exactly stand up to scrutiny :cheers:

Though your boundless optomism in thinking I can con a broad into reproducing with me is certainly flattering...

Well there is always Pigs in Space where there are plenty of girls looking for there very own verion of "Officer and a Gentleman" to swoop them away from fun in Fallon. Or you could always pull a Madonna. Find a destitute child add them to your Page 2, rank in the extra cash from having a dependent and just be rich and happy with out having to deal with whole evil woman phase. Note this phase would probably be easier with a teenager then a younger child because they would only be in your house till they turned 18 but you could collect dependent cash on them until they finished college or turned 23; which ever comes first.

Well there is always Pigs in Space where there are plenty of girls looking for there very own verion of "Officer and a Gentleman" to swoop them away from fun in Fallon.

...though the implicit commentary on my standards is disturbing!

Still good to know that I can milk money from a curtain climber till they're 23. Learn something new every day.

I actually listened to this one from CNET himself in 2003 Karl. Say you have a son or daughter who joins the Navy as an enlisted member and they decided to become a Para Rigger and let us just say that NSWC Fallon needs a PR. NPC and CNET will have slated your child to go to NSWC Fallon after they are put on to the bus/plane/train to Great Mistakes, IL. So after graduation from boot camp at Great Lakes they will be sent to the closest US Navy base (like Lemoore) and sent through PR A-school. While at A school for tracking purposes at, the largest Moral Suppression Team in the USN, Naval Personnal Command Memphis they will have AN Sander listed with an NEC of 9760. Upon successful graduation that NEC will be stripped away and they will be sent on to a C-school if needed or right out to join NSWC Fallon. If AN Sander fails out of school for what ever reason he is given a choice of any one of those other schools and if it is close enough they can possible throw him in with in a couple of weeks (or a day if the school is across the street from the PR school) right in to the training since the basics started out the same. The whole idea is to streamline the introduction of new personnal to the ranks. It really got speed up after the Aviation Maintenace schools in Pensacola were trashed following the hurricane in 2004, this was only supposed to be for a trial run on a few aviation ratings. Well all of the Naval Aviation ratings are getting this.

The truth nowadays is that nobody goes to A-school out of Great Mistakes. Now with "perform to serve" (or PTS, where all first termers go through a board that decides whether they are offered the opportunity to re-enlist or not) and general "quality" of folks coming in, the immediate A-school was turning into a waste of money if you were just going to toss the person to the curb in 4 years. Happens more often than not today with all the aviation rates being overmanned, almost 100% go away if they have not made E-4 and gotten a warfare qual. So, we get totally untrained folks and let them OJT until they figure out what they want to or are qualified to do (many, many folks nowadays have ASVAB scores that let them sweep floors and that's it..not that they're dumb, just they were probably hung over or stoned (based on the # of waiver folks we see now) when they took the test not realizing how important it is....). AND in order to make E-4 they have to have a career field.

End result...60% of the squadron shows up knowing what an airplane is, and that's about it. Ugh!

OH...and if you son/daughter crushed the ASVAB and got PR A-school out of Great Mistakes, and follow on orders to Lemoore, the reality is they would likely get sent "in region" based on manning needs, i.e. to fill an empty billet in Mugu, or SD. Even after they did F/A-18 specific training, just to fill out the #'s. Almost 1/2 of our trained AD's (Eng Mechanics) and AT (radar techs) came to us this way!

:cheers: Rant off....

Spongebob

Edited by Spongebob
OH...and if you son/daughter crushed the ASVAB and got PR A-school out of Great Mistakes, and follow on orders to Lemoore, the reality is they would likely get sent "in region" based on manning needs, i.e. to fill an empty billet in Mugu, or SD. Even after they did F/A-18 specific training, just to fill out the #'s. Almost 1/2 of our trained AD's (Eng Mechanics) and AT (radar techs) came to us this way!

My old squadron would get a few kids each year due to lazy or incompetent travel offices - some poor 19 year old kid would show up in the ready room confused as can be because he THOUGHT he was going to California to work on Hornets - here he was in Washington State with nary a Hornet to be seen... you'd look at his orders, and they'd say VFA-137, not VAQ-137. but whatever travel office had set him up was just too lazy or stupid to realize that they are two different squadrons, one in California's Central Valley and the other halfway between Seattle and Canada...

My old squadron would get a few kids each year due to lazy or incompetent travel offices - some poor 19 year old kid would show up in the ready room confused as can be because he THOUGHT he was going to California to work on Hornets - here he was in Washington State with nary a Hornet to be seen... you'd look at his orders, and they'd say VFA-137, not VAQ-137. but whatever travel office had set him up was just too lazy or stupid to realize that they are two different squadrons, one in California's Central Valley and the other halfway between Seattle and Canada...

Actually, he should have been thankful! I'd take "Halfway between Seattle and Canada" any day over California! :bandhead2:

Nashville IS halfway between Seattle and Canada...........Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada......Canada, We're a big place eh? <_<

Other than the fact that Nashville is SOUTH of Seattle...

And seeing as there is a Vancouver, WA (which is also south of Seattle) I didn't think that saying "halfway between Seattle and Vancouver" would be much help...)

Either way I agree with CRASCA - I'd take the Rock over Lemoore any day. But evidently there's lots of young'ns who for whatever reason think that California is "cool" (and also don't realize that Lemoore is about as far away from anything they think might be cool about California as you can get).

Just kidding.. :)

Brian, there used to be a lot of websites run by real SEALs that would investigate suspicious claims made by individuals. If they turned out to be lying, their names, claims and the facts were posted on the site. A manager in the company I work for claims to be a SEAL, but his name was posted on one of the sites as an imposter. The site I remember was "wallofshame.org", but the site is no longer active. There are still some around though. On that site, they said to ask the person what their BUDS class number was, if they can't answer that question, then they weren't a SEAL.

Just try to punch him in the friggin head. If he's a real Seal, you will most probably miss. If he's not, you will punish him for his lies.

Meathook to the head!

Sounds like a fun night will be had :cheers:

The truth nowadays is that nobody goes to A-school out of Great Mistakes. Now with "perform to serve" (or PTS, where all first termers go through a board that decides whether they are offered the opportunity to re-enlist or not) and general "quality" of folks coming in, the immediate A-school was turning into a waste of money if you were just going to toss the person to the curb in 4 years. Happens more often than not today with all the aviation rates being overmanned, almost 100% go away if they have not made E-4 and gotten a warfare qual. So, we get totally untrained folks and let them OJT until they figure out what they want to or are qualified to do (many, many folks nowadays have ASVAB scores that let them sweep floors and that's it..not that they're dumb, just they were probably hung over or stoned (based on the # of waiver folks we see now) when they took the test not realizing how important it is....). AND in order to make E-4 they have to have a career field.

End result...60% of the squadron shows up knowing what an airplane is, and that's about it. Ugh!

:cheers: Rant off....

Spongebob

Spongebob,

Don't worry us in the E-5 ane E-6 ratings that are experiencing some of these new graduates of the PTS and other training programs are worried about the ratings in general. I have a new airman just checked in a couple of days ago and when asking him some basics of avionics and electrical systems, I got the deer in the headlights look. Found out that he was one of the first of a class that had gone through a re-introduction of computer based training of basic electrical theory and inital understanding of systems. He did the same thing that I did during a college level computer training course. Keep challenging the chapter test until I got a passing grade. No retention, nor understanding of what they are being trained on. So now it is up to the fleet to provided that training, but only after they have done all there TAD time in or out of the squadron. I hope that you and Karl both know that General Duty billets are gone right. So now in about 3 weeks just after I have intergrated and started to train this airman I will have to send him first to the Line Shack to fill out time there minium of 6 months or when he gets his complete PC qual done, whichever he achieves first.

Oh and Karl I didn't mean anything about your standards. It just seems that everytime I have flown into Fallon, and head out to Pigs in Space there are girls that show up there that are looking for either two things. The first is a man to take them away from Fallon and live the Navy Wife fream. Or a DNA donor.