Airfix 1:72 Short Sunderland

Seeking opinions on whether or not this constitutes less than 50% built.

PC130001.jpg

I bought the kit 2nd hand in 1987 for, I think, $14.50AU. I set to work on it almost straight away, but for various reasons (the main one, I think, being that I accidentally stepped on or otherwise broke the mid-upper turret transparency) I packed it away. I had a feeling that it was even less built than it is, actually.

You can see where I had brush-painted some Humbrol Authenticolour Dark Slate Grey back (just to see how it looked when dry - as it had been the first time that I'd used that particular paint).

All props need to be replaced - possibly with Aeroclub items, or maybe scratchbuilt. I would like to do something about the exhaust pipes, too. I have the Squadron Clearvax canopy set for the Sunderland, which I started cutting out last night. Curiously, the mid-upper turret was a bit squashed! I think that this was probably the result of my careless storage rather than damage in transit. I boiled up some water, poured it into a cup, and rapidly dipped the canopy into it, and quickly blew the water off. This repaired most of the damage, and the rest will be covered in white paint, anyway! WHEW!

I would like to get new gun barrels. The bombs will need some work (or replacement) and I'll replace all the kit porthole windows with clearfix (as the kits items have a sinkhole in each window). Either that, or I'll punch out some acetate circles. The interior may need construction - to do which, I'll have to separate the fuselage halves.

SO, is this kit more than 50% built, do you think?

OK I guess this is how I see it.....

The idea for including the 50% rule in GB's is to encourage modellers to share the experiences of building a particular kit within the constraints of the time limit. So models which have been completed previously are not eligible, along with models just requiring a few decals.

Bruce you have done the right thing by posting pictures of the model in its present state, and also your intentions for detailing the model. I hate rules and tend to run a fairly relaxed GB, it is a hobby after all and supposed to be fun.

Personally I have no problem including your Sunderland in the Splash GB and really look forward to seeing the upgrades you intend making.

So its over to the other GBers to put their views but as far as I'm concerned its in!

Cheers

Doc

Cannot see any problem at all - if you are going to add AM bits and enhance the kit generally then there is a lot of work to do - I would say more than 50% of the finally completed build. What the heck - is it a hanging offence - I would say definitely not.

Having said that can I now enter my Spruce Goose Doc???

So its over to the other GBers to put their views but as far as I'm concerned its in!

Ok, well, I can share my experiences prior to the GB with you all.

This is an OLD Airfix kit. I do have, actually, another, completely unbuilt one, in my stash, but I'd rather get this one out of the way. If anyone wants sprue shots, then I could conceivably dig out the other one.

Firstly, the fit is not great, but there are worse. You can see from the pic where I've puttied along the seams of the wings and fuselage join.

Secondly, the decal sheet comprises two large wing roundels, fin flashes, serial (I think), fuselage roundels and a Red Code "2 G" ... or it might be "2 U" I can't recall. Anyway, for reasons of water damage, I made my own earlier this year. They're not great, but then, neither are the originals.

There isn't much in the way of exteriror detail other than rivets. The Sunderland had countersunk rivets, by the way.

The Mk III, the subject of this kit, was festooned with ASV radar aerials. They are prominent along the spine, the rear upper hull, and under the wings. These, are not included in the kit. The rivets, however, more than make up for them.

The pilot and copilot are not well-sculpted. They appear as if they are to be strapped into an electric chair, rather than flying a large boat.

The other crew figures have unusual appendages (for holding machine gun mountings) and are similarly woeful.

The kit comes with a complete beaching/launching dolly. The rear carriage, however, requires a lot of work to make it realistic, including finding suitable wheels.

The engines are simple. The exhausts are kind of effective, but lack the rear support (easy fix).

The props are ... hmmm. I'll compare them to the aeroclub items I ordered this morning when I get them.

The machine guns are typical Airfix bomber guns of 40 years past.

This kit has working parts, not that I'll be making many of them as such. I used to regard it as having everything that opens and shuts:

• The beaching gear can be removed (leaving holes in the hull)
  • Ailerons
  • Rudder
  • elevators
  • three rotating gun turrets, with elevating guns
  • removable galley hatches
  • bomb carriages that slide out from the galley hatches
  • the front turret retracts into the hull for "mooring"
  • propellers rotate
  • wheels on the beaching gear can rotate

The hull interior is spacious, to say the least. It cries out for a few decks.

These boats became very weathered during operations. I have a few photos that woud make many hyperdetailers salivate and reach for their pre-shading, post-shading, paint-chipping and mucky tools. However, they also were refurbished from time to time at Pembroke Dock, so the whole spectrum of weathering level would be appropriate for any period of the war.

I have a photo of one that landed on an airfield, because (during a SAR mission) a huge wave punched a large hole in the hull. Apparently, the only damage during the landing was the demolition of the port outrigger float.

Finally, Australian crews mounted up to 18 machine guns of various types and calibre (Vickers K, Browning .303 and .5) to earn the respect of German long-range fighters in the Bay of Biscay.

The kit is armed with 7 .303 guns.

Thanks for the support.

OK, I went to the Museum of Transport and Technology in Auckland on Sunday and took about 150 photos (mostly internal) of a Sunderland V, and a Solent.

I've resized these for uploading to the ARC walkarounds, but I haven't yet renamed them in accordance with requirements. When this is done, you too can see what I saw.

• 2 weeks later...
P.S. to Dave & Doc: (The surprise Spruce Goose wouldn't happen to be 1/72 would it?)

There was mention of 1/48 :moai: but my lips are sealed....... :cheers:

Good to hear your Aeroclub bits have arrived, I know how frustrating it can be waiting for parts.

Cheers

Doc

Edited by Dr Fester

I have compared the Aeroclub engines and propellers with the kit items. Unsurprisingly, the engines are a great improvement, though not perfect, I can certainly live with them. The resin bits won't need clean up, but the white metal will.

The props, however, aren't such an improvement over the kit items unless you wanted to model one with the small spinner e.g. Twin Wasp-powered Mk V or Australian-converted Mk III, or even an early Mk I. In my case, I had little choice, really, since I'd lost most of the prop blades, and I couldn't be bothered making new ones. However, for the record, the prop diameter (DH 3bladed LH) should be 12'9". This scales to 27mm for each blade. The Airfix and Aeroclub blades are identical in shape, though the Airfix blade is 26mm long, and the Aeroclub blade is 28mm long. I find the small spinner of the Aeroclub prop attractive, but I will probably have to hid it behind a heat-smashed (thermo-formed) spinner.

I did actually find a nice maintenance photo of a Sunderland. The leading edges fold down for work stands (how thoughtful of Shorts!) and the fuel tanks were all ventilated, and a gazillion erks were pulling it along the sand on the beaching gear. I wouldn't mind making that diorama, but I wouldn't know where to get all the ground crew from. Oh, I suppose I could convert them, but not in the time frame for this build.

Rather late chiming in here, but nonetheless ... Since I have a couple of Airfix Sunderlands in the stash, at least one of which has been there for close to 40 years, and having messed around with fitting, dry assembly, etc, my vote would be that even if this were 90% done, there still would be a huge effort yet to go to finish :D

If you get and use the WEM post some pictures since I have a couple of the sets and am curious how they turn out. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

I have just moved to Canada. However, the Sunderland hasn't come with me. It may have to wait until April, in which case I've missed the deadline. I'll post pics of the completed model when it's done.

P1040016.jpg

Edited by Brews