1/72nd C-160 Transall

I started this build over on the "props section" , a few have shown intrest so I thought I would move it over to here for all to see.

Got this kit as a present this Christmas. It looked so nice in the box I thought I would make a start on it right away.

The model comes in a large box with a massive decal sheet for the very colourfull LTG61 Anniversary colour Scheme.

decalsheet.jpg

I've cleaned up the larger pieces and tryed a dry fit. The fit appears to be very good.

The fit of the seperate nose cone is great which will save a bit of masking. To avoid a tail sitter Revell recomend at least 70g of weight around the cockpit area and under the cargo deck floor. This should be quite easy as there's plenty of room to store the lead.

The main wing is built from 4 seperate large pieces and is designed so that the correct angle for the wings is very easy to set and assemble.

dryfit.jpg

As you can see I've started the contruction of a few pieces, Main wing, rear tail planes, cockpit and front undercarriage bay.

No real problems so far-- The rear edge of the main wing has a small gap along the length that's is easy to fill.

This is a photo of the unpainted cockpit.

unpaintedcockpit.jpg

On my kit the elevators were quite badly warped, after a bit of flexing and they fitted fine.

warp1.jpg

warp2.jpg

Another nice thing is that the detached main wing fits back in the box, so during contruction it can be stored while you get on with the Fuslage. :thumbsup:

Here's a photo of the hold area parts before painting. It builds up as a seperate box shape that you glue into the cargo area.

holdparts.jpg

cargodoor.jpg

I have chose to close the front loading door and the boarding steps. Just one thing to point out here is that Revell have molded a sill on the door frame to mount the open cargo door on. To close the door you need to remove the sill to make the door sit flush in the fuslarge opening.

You can also see in this photo that I have attached the main undercarrage sponson. The fit of this part is excellent with no need for any filler, even though it is made from 4 seperate parts with complex curves!

So far I am really enjoying this build, mainly because of the excellect fit of the parts on all of the assemblys that I have constructed so far.

Shaun.

Edited by ShaunBD

Spent most of the week painting and finishing the cargo hold area.

I plan to get it all closed up by next weekend, got a pretty busy week ahead so I doubt I find much time to work on the model.

Here the finished cargo hold and cockpit.

This is compleatly out of the box, all I've done is some carefull painting and applyed some washes to highlight the detail.

The supplyed detail is very nicely done. Revel provide a 3 colour mix (33% Matt 16 Sand , 34% Matt 88 Ocker , 33% Matt 5 White ) in the intructions for the main hold sound proofing colour, I've used RAF Hemp which looks no far off the colour I've seen on Walkrounds that have been kindly supplyed by other board members.

Here's a few helpfull links, for anyone planning to build a C-160.

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/c-160_home.htm

http://www.master194.com/photo_avion/transall/index.htm

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/1003/atc...venes/transall/

Paintedhold1.jpg

You can also see in this photo the starboard side piece, troop seats and roof of the hold area.

This was all held togeather for the photo with blue tack, nothing is glued in yet.

hold3.jpg

hold2.jpg

Revell even supply decals to apply to the side walls in this kit, nice touch!

Shaun.

Edited by ShaunBD
did you ad some aftermarks???

No, this is compleatly out of the box, with no after market parts added :lol:

Tonight I got the engine nacelles togeather and glued on to the wing.

The fit is very good, and will only require a small amount of filler to blend in the join to the main wing.

Revell have very thoughtfully supplyed the engine/prop front mounts as a seperate part. This will be of great help as it allows you to leave the props off right to final assembly stage it also saves masking the black area behind the hub.

exhusts.jpg

wingwithengines.jpg

Shaun. :rofl:

Edited by ShaunBD
BTW how did the Harrier T-10 come out in the end? :huh:

Hi Anthony,

The Harrier is still not finished,

I've got the first coat of paint on it, I just need the motovation to get back into it and start the next stage.

HarrierT-10painted.jpg

I sure it will be done, just don't know when?. :worship:

So many projects, so little time!! :unsure:

Shaun.

Edited by ShaunBD
Hi Anthony,

The Harrier is still not finished,

I've got the first coat of paint on it, I just need the motovation to get back into it and start the next stage.

HarrierT-10painted.jpg

I sure it will be done, just don't know when?. :blink:

I'm planning to get this Transall to the paint stage then paint it along with these two Startfighters, I also have to paint in German colours.

Pairstarfighter.jpg

So many projects, so little time!! :thumbsup:

Shaun.

All the builds looking great Shaun :whistle:

What is that F-104 book in the last photo?

Oh WOW!! The interior of the C-160 looks awesome, and out the box too! Mine should turn up today or tomorrow hopefully, but I will finish the 1/72 Jag T.2 I've started first (well that is till the C-160 turns up, then we'll see what happens :) )

Your build is stunning so far, the 2 F-104's look great to.

Happy Building,

Eng :cheers:

:blink:

No, this is compleatly out of the box, with no after market parts added :)

Tonight I got the engine nacelles togeather and glued on to the wing.

The fit is very good, and will only require a small amount of filler to blend in the join to the main wing.

Revell have very thoughtfully supplyed the engine/prop front mounts as a seperate part. This will be of great help as it allows you to leave the props off right to final assembly stage it also saves masking the black area behind the hub.

exhusts.jpg

wingwithengines.jpg

Ohh!!! I can't belive how excellent is the kit, I want one. You would give me one ??? :)

Postman's just been!!!! :beer4: but..............gotta go to work :angry: . Guess I'll just need to stay up half the night when I get home. Nice big parcel.

Still keeping a close watch on this build, was just looking at your interior shots again, superb, can't believe RoG even supply decals for inside the cabin.

Eng :)

Done a bit more on the model in the last couple of nights. :P

I have now glued the fuselage together. This task can be described as a bit of a juggling act.

The fit of the interior parts is good inside the fuselage but with no underside to the bottom of the main fuselage you have to balance all the interior parts in place before applying glue and closing it all up.

This task was a bit of a hand full because of the size of the model and the fact that the nose is very heavy (70G required!) at this stage because of all the lead packed around the nose wheel bay sides. The front wheel bay was a bit tricky to get to sit tidy, I had to trim a little away from the sides wall to get a good fit.

As you can see I now have it all sealed up.

The nose cone is just pushed on for the photo's, it just slides on into place nice and tight.

sideview2.jpg

The fit is quite good, there are small areas that with need a bit of tidying, possably caused by myself but nothing to hard to sort out.

sideview.jpg

The large underside lower fuselage parts fits reasonably well, but I do have a few gaps to fill along one side and a small step to file down were the forward part of the undercarriage sponson meets the floor part.

underside-2.jpg

Got to glue the other sponson on and then start sanding and tidying

Shaun.

Edited by ShaunBD
Postman's just been!!!! :beer4: but..............gotta go to work :P . Guess I'll just need to stay up half the night when I get home. Nice big parcel.

Still keeping a close watch on this build, was just looking at your interior shots again, superb, can't believe RoG even supply decals for inside the cabin.

Eng :)

I think you will pleased with what you find in the box :yahoo:

I allways enjoy opening a new kit that arrives though the post, and seeing what's inside that brown wraping.

Shaun.

Edited by ShaunBD

Shaun,

Might not be clear in the photo's but it looks like you have left out the glazing on the cabin windows, or are you replacing the kit parts with good old Micro Kristal Klear? Hope I haven't just opened a can of worm's, you machine is looking superb so far, keep us posted.

Rgd's

P.S Also got an Italeri (ex-MPM) Hudson MkIV/V in my parcel, not as impressed as I was with the Transall, this'll take quite a bit of work to do nicely - unfortunately I'd ordered it before reading John McIllmurray's review in this month's MAI, not the best kit review, but I suppose it's only an individual's opinion!!

Shaun,

Might not be clear in the photo's but it looks like you have left out the glazing on the cabin windows, or are you replacing the kit parts with good old Micro Kristal Klear? Hope I haven't just opened a can of worm's, you machine is looking superb so far, keep us posted.

Rgd's

Hi,

The window are in, they are hard to see because Revell has done a great job with the clear plastic parts :D

As you can see I've put tape over the portholes to protect the windows from messy fingers when working on the sanding. I've placed the clear cockpit part over the cockpit to show how clear these parts are.

clear2.jpg

Edited by ShaunBD

I've put on the starboard main undercarriage legs today, ready to add the sponson tomorrow night.

Revel have supplied a very nicely detailed undercarriage on this model, as can be seen from the photo.

The legs are quite tricky to get to sit in the right position with all 4 wheels touching the floor altogether.

If you look back though the prevous photo you can I assembled the port under carriage unit before I glued the fuselage together which was a mistake!!

On the port side one of the bogies is now to high with the rear wheels floating, I've had to break the glue on the rear mount and realign the rear wheels. Not a big problem to fix but one to watch out for. It was my fault for jumping ahead of the instruction sequence. :worship:

wheelsbay.jpg

Don't for get to add the nose wheels, before trying to aline the rear ones for hight. :worship:

nosewheel.jpg

Shaun.

Edited by ShaunBD

I got the other sponson on tonight, the fit of this one was a lot harder than the port side!!

I am left with a small gap at both joints fore and aft of the wheel well and a step at the front were in joins the floor, after a fair bit of test fitting to get a tight fit along the top were it joins the along the fuslarge I excepted the gap on the under side, as this is a lot easyer to hide and clean up.

Earlyer, I put the model on it's wheels for the first time.

Word of warning, don't skip on the lead. With the nose cone removed the model is tail heavy, good job there's a bit of space in here to add nose weight. Revel suggest weight around the nose bay and under the cargo hold floor, Make sure you add at least the recomended amount.

Shaun.

Edited by ShaunBD

Okay Shaun,

Thanks for turning me on to this kit. I found and purchase one off of Ebay and it should be delivered either today or tomorrow. I've printed out the pictures and notes from your build so I'm all set to go.

I'll be looking forward to seeing your final "masterpiece."

Best regards,

Tim