Well, I just finished my 1/48 Monogram, F-84F Thunderstreak this evening. The markings are for the 182 Fighter Interceptor Group, 169 Fighter Interceptor Squadron of the Illinois Air National Guard at Peoria. This is the first model that I built using the "module" concept. I built the fuselage, each wing and tail surfaces as separate units including painting and decaling, then joined them all together. I think that it worked rather well. The red tipped cylinder is a Mark VII, 61kt Special Weapon, aka Nuke. I drilled 52 holes in each wing spoiler and 188 holes in each fuselage speed brake. I messed up the left nose gear door and have to fix that. Comments welcome.

DSCN2362.jpg

DSCN2346.jpg

DSCN2356.jpg

DSCN2355.jpg

DSCN2357.jpg

DSCN2341.jpg

Darwin

Very nice overall finish of a classic jet (my favourites!). But frankly I'm not a big fan of the "modular approach" as the wing to fuselage gaps are way too prominent for my taste. But if you can live with it there's nothing wrong about it :angry:

Very nice overall finish of a classic jet (my favourites!). But frankly I'm not a big fan of the "modular approach" as the wing to fuselage gaps are way too prominent for my taste. But if you can live with it there's nothing wrong about it :angry:

That "gap" was a concern for me also when I was considering the module method. There is an F-84F on static display at city park in the local area and I looked it over rather carefully. There is a noticeable gap in the wing-fuselage joint on that plane, kind of like a slightly large panel joint. The wings are built separately on the full scale and then joined on the assembly line, so there is bound to be at least a small gap there.

Thanks for the input,

Darwin

Very nice, but how could you possibly mess up that left nose gear door! HaHa! Been there, done that -- to the point of having to repaint the whole model. I just got the Aeromaster 48-728 decal sheet a couple weeks ago. Their decals are as good as decals get these days, and the ILL ANG livery looks great on your model. Good work.

Darwin,

Looks great! I have that one to do also, between your build and mine, I think we have the Peoria ANG unit covered for this build. I have an OA-37 I built a few years back from them as well. Too bad they're in the oldest C-130's around.

Jeff

Darwin,

Looks great! I have that one to do also, between your build and mine, I think we have the Peoria ANG unit covered for this build. I have an OA-37 I built a few years back from them as well. Too bad they're in the oldest C-130's around. Jeff

I am not absolutely sure of this, but I think I remember reading somewhere that the latest round of BRAC decisions is going to move some H model C-130s from Nashville to Peoria. Maybe it was just more Es

Did you have seen any photo of a F-84F with a live MK7? I've only see one with a medium blue training nuke...

No, I have not seen such a photo. F-84Fs were deployed to the UK and Europe during early 60s Berlin crisis and were nuke capable at that time. It is a fair assumption that some of them were loaded with the Mk-7 since it was a primary tactical nuke at that time.

Darwin

Very nice Darwin!

I built that kit in 1985 as an attempt to show my friend why I loved modeling so much. Didn't go over too well, but we had fun. Of course, we were 12 at the time!

I may need to grab another copy of that kit. I think you've inspired me!

Jon

Great and speedy job Darwin :cop:

I am moving along at a fairly rapid pace on two F-84's for the GB because this is a very slow time at work.

I get to spend a lot of time at home modeling, while wondering how to pay bills on a drastically reduced pay check.

Darwin