1/72 Academy A-37 Dragonfly

I started this build asking for advice in the Jet forum - http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=111473 - and as it now looks like this build is going ahead I thought I'd continue here.

I've had a go at making a little detail for the cockpit - it's rather crude but I'm fairly pleased with the effort and it will hopefully look better than the stock kit's bit. I need to add one more lever to the quadrant - flap lever?? And I may have another go at making some better knobs and buttons.

Not sure where to go from here! I don't want to over-stretch myself.

cockpit_1.jpg

cockpit_2.jpg

cockpit_3.jpg

nice scracht building. What markings are you going to use??

Thanks. I think I'll use the kit's USAF decals. I like the look of some of the Central/South American planes but I'm not willing to pay for an aftermarket sheet of several options, of which I'll only ever use 1!

Are you sure you want to build a a relative of the T-37 with some of the talk around here?!

That hadn't escaped me! :D

Anyway, a little more progress:

My detailing of this cockpit is like a Hollywood movie that claims to be 'Based on a true story' - what they mean is 'We've stayed true to the fact that the story happened somewhere on planet Earth, and we made up the rest.'

This cockpit is very loosely based on an A-37 cockpit, but most of it is pure invention on my my part :)

My aim (at this early stage) is not to create a totally accurate model, but to try my hand at adding detail to a kit - even if that detail is spurious! A little more to do, and it'll be ready for paint.

Regards,

Jon.

cockpit_4.jpg

cockpit_5.jpg

cockpit_6.jpg

Looks great & exactly like what I do when I scratch build 1/72 cockpit detail. I get reference pics off the net & add the main features, but these pits are too small to add every bit of detail, so I only ever end up putting in 50% of the bits roughly represented. Even so, it really makes a difference. Your throttle quadrant is much better than anything I've achieved.

Edited by Thommo

A little more progress:

Adding some colour has made me feel more optimistic about this little build! There's still quite a way to go on this cockpit but I'm relatively pleased so far - it's enjoyable and I'm learning all the time!

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.

Regards,

Jon.

cockpit_7.jpg

cockpit_8.jpg

Looks good, Jon. Since you're relatively new at this aircraft stuff, my only advice at this point is that you remove the masking tape on the nose before you paint the model.

Thanks Steven! It's those small details that I so often overlook :beer4:

I'm getting slightly fed up with this wretched thing now! I've gone just about as far as I'm prepared to go with this one - just 2 oxygen hoses to add.

By and large I'm pleased with the cockpit. It's better than I expected it to turn out but there are some very silly faults that planning and care would have (should have!) prevented.

I'm looking forward to getting it installed in the fuselage and then making the remainder of the kit.

Regards,

Jon.

cockpit_9.jpg

I'm getting slightly fed up with this wretched thing now! I've gone just about as far as I'm prepared to go with this one - just 2 oxygen hoses to add.

By and large I'm pleased with the cockpit. It's better than I expected it to turn out but there are some very silly faults that planning and care would have (should have!) prevented.

I'm looking forward to getting it installed in the fuselage and then making the remainder of the kit.

Regards,

Jon.

cockpit_9.jpg

Looks good John, just think of the satisfaction you will get when its done knowing its all your work! :salute:

Well yes, it is kind of satisfying isn't it! :o

I've done as much as I want to now. I know I could have done more (like buckles for instance) but one step at a time for me.

This may be the first cockpit I've detailed but it won't be the last! I'm glad I decided to take the plunge!

If there are any comments and/or suggestions about the general look & 'feel' of what I've done, please let me know.

Cheers,

Jon.

cockpit_10.jpg

cockpit_11.jpg

cockpit_12.jpg

Thanks gents!

Andre, the sidewall quilting is made from thin foil - I used the foil that wraps Swan Morton scalpel blades - with lines scribed in with a pin. They're not very accurate, I know!

Next up is the nose gear. It didn't go back together quite as easily as I had hoped it would!!

2 quick before & after shots:

nose_1.jpg

nose_2.jpg