Hasegawa 1/48 F-4G 'Wild Weasel'

This jet originated from Spangdahlem AB, Germany and was based at Incirlik AB, Turkey during Operation Desert Storm/Shield. My rationale for choosing this F-4G over the others is the fact that it was the only one to be painted in 'Lizzard' camou. For this project I will be using:

69-7566_1.jpg

Hasegawa 1/48 F-4G 'Wild Weasel' - The 'Phantom Phamily' kit

True Details MartinBaker Mk.7 Seats

True Details Wheels (? - maybe...if I cant get the seam to disappear on the kit wheels...)

KMC Intake/Exhaust Covers - kit exhausts are just plastic cylinders

Paragon Flaps

Markings: Mix of Airdoc decals, and kit decals for stencilling

Quick question, would it be necessary to drop the flaps? I heard somewhere that 'parked phantoms almost always have their outboard flaperons drooped' :)

Also in that picture, the aircraft seems to be carrying something under the left intake...what is that?

Special Thanks to the Following People:

Ishthe47guy: Thanks for all the parts and the very helpful explanation on control surfaces B)

Benner: Helpful 'hints'

ReccePhreak: ALQ-131 pod

Siesta3: General go-to guy for F-4G info :)

T minus 3 days B)

-=AW=-

Edited by Benner
My rationale for choosing this F-4G over the others is the fact that it was the only one to be painted in 'Lizzard' camou.

Actually there was atleast two(maybe a third) Euro1 jets still with the 52TFW at the time.None of them were repainted and they went to AMARC still in the Euro1 with the post Desert Storm drawdown of USAFE F-4G assets

Well, according to www.dstorm.eu, this was the only Lizzard F-4G used in ODS <_<, sorry I didnt make myself clear in my first post.

Yes and based out of Incirlik Airbase, Turkey not Sheika Isa. By the way there was a black nosed grey F-4G at Sheika Isa.

..And we're off. I had a done a major test fit of the parts when i first recieved the kit and found no major problems. Next, this afternoon, I proceeded to start basic assembly, nothing terribly special. Waiting on some resin to arrive from Squadron.

DSCF7334.jpg

DSCF7338.jpg

Nose conversion is attached in this pic. I found it easier to glue the nose halves to the two fuselage halves, then bring them together that way. Instead of having the nose as a seperate piece.

Some bits assembled:

DSCF7341.jpg

Seats to be replaced with True Details resin examples. Landing gear legs have had their parting lines sanded and a ready for primer.

Thats all for now. Task now: remove that box from both wings and rescribe panel lines...Easy...I hope :thumbsup:

-=AW=-

Edited by AnthonyWan

Wing boxes removed, sanded smooth, slight depressions filled with CA, polished smooth, new panel lines rescribed:

DSCF7809.jpg

DSCF7813.jpg

Test fit of pit components: Seats will be replaced with TD

DSCF7811.jpg

No problems to speak of...heres to hoping the True Details Mk.7s fit...the ESCAPACs i got for my A-4F were too wide by about 2mm...:thumbsup:

Thats all for today. Comments/Questions/Suggestions welcome as always. Please excuse my low-level photography <_<

-=AW=- :D

Edited by AnthonyWan

Nice work Anthony. Your photography is just fine. :thumbsup:

One Question though, what did you put on your re scribed panel lines to make them glossy and why? Just curious.

Mark

Nice work Anthony. Your photography is just fine. :thumbsup:

One Question though, what did you put on your re scribed panel lines to make them glossy and why? Just curious.

Mark

That glossy stuff in the photo is Tamiya Extra Thin Cement...I scribed the lines, sanded lightly to get rid of the raised edges, used a pin to clean out as much of the plastic shavings from the line as possible, then brushed a light coat of the cement on to smooth it all out :nanner:

HTH

AW

That glossy stuff in the photo is Tamiya Extra Thin Cement...I scribed the lines, sanded lightly to get rid of the raised edges, used a pin to clean out as much of the plastic shavings from the line as possible, then brushed a light coat of the cement on to smooth it all out :)

HTH

AW

Very cool.

I suspected as much. I'm experimenting with re scribing and find it quite a tricky skill to master.

Your work looks most excellent. Thanks for sharing your technique.

Mark

Some smaller bits finished today. Boarding ladder finished, intakes had their pin marks filled/sanded, and landing gear/wheels were assembled and had their mold mismatch lines sanded away. Also finished fairing in the filler panels on the bottoms of the wings and the right side of the nose. Pics later tonight.

Pics as promised:

DSCF7824.jpg

The progress as of last update.

DSCF7825.jpg

Lower wing filler panels faired in...still have a small step, but no ones going to notice :cheers:

DSCF7826.jpg

Speedbrake actutators attached, the actual brakes and the actuators are not attached to the wing yet...I just like to attach the actutators in this fashion.

DSCF7827.jpg

Boarding ladder and nose wheel well door. (I just noticed ladder was missing bottom rung...oops :cheers:)

DSCF7828.jpg

Main gear bay doors have had their ejector pin marks filled and sanded smooth.

DSCF7829.jpg

Slats have had their pin marks filled and sanded smooth.

Thats all for now...

-=AW=-

Edited by AnthonyWan
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New progress...

DSCF7866.jpg

Outboard flaps have been cut out, recontoured, and are just awaiting some milliput to reshape the leading edges.

DSCF7876.jpg

DSCF7875.jpg

Two cockpit tube pics, just a dryfit of the TD seats. Seats have since been primed/and are drying

DSCF7877.jpg

One face of one pylon rescribed.

That leaves three faces to go...:cheers:

DSCF7879.jpg

DSCF7878.jpg

Two more flaps pictures. I messed up on the port wing when i tried to cut out the inboard flaps rather than the outboard ones. However, i caught that mistake fairly early and i was able to fill and sand the gash i made

All for now

-=AW out=-

Edited by AnthonyWan
DSCF7878.jpg

Two more flaps pictures. I messed up on the port wing when i tried to cut out the inboard flaps rather than the outboard ones. However, i caught that mistake fairly early and i was able to fill and sand the gash i made

simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

:) :worship:

Looking good so far Anthony.Can't wait for you to put some paint on that plane. :doh:

Daniel

You mean he needs to paint that plane??? :crying:

Just kidding :wacko: ...nice work Anthony. I need to see your build for my next phantom project.

Eric

Nice work Anthony,I have a F-4E(and possibly a F-4G)lined up,keeping an eye on your build for helpful hints :) My F-4E will be my Uber build,slapping everything I can on that puppy,the Phantom was the first aircraft I ever crewed when I was in the USAF/Air National Guard,I totally love that plane and want to do it justice :wub:

I have a set or two of the old KMC USAF pylons I got off Ebay a couple of years ago,I don't my eyes could handle the strain of re-scribing the kit pylons :thumbsup: They are going to be used on my F-4E and F-4C builds so if I build any more USAF Phantoms I'm going to have to get a couple of AirDoc pylons.Hi-Decal and SuperScale are going to keep me knee deep in decals for my Phantom builds for the next few years!

Did you use an Xacto to cut the outboard flaps?Tried that some years ago when my modeling skill were still green,totally botched it.

Now all this talk of Phantoms makes me want to get back on my RF-4C build......... :cheers:

Edited by ThePhantomTwo

I actually used a razor saw (probably should have used John Vojtech's saw seen on this site: www.umm-usa.com , but I couldnt wait to get one). Hence, i had to use some sheet styrene to replace the plastic lost in the groove that the razor saw made (about 1mm)

• 2 weeks later...

Heres a couple quick shots showing some of the parts (mixed in with other parts :lol:) that have been painted in one huge painting session. Among the mass of stuff, you will probably spot parts from a Ju-88, Skyhawk, and F-15E

DSCF7913.jpg

DSCF7914.jpg

:soapbox:

closeup pics to follow when i have some detail stuff done.

AW

BTW:

quick shots of the paint booth i use...one of about 10 at my dad's office

this one is in a back room, so he lets me use it :doh:

DSCF7902.jpg

DSCF7903.jpg

Edited by AnthonyWan