MC-130E & H, Combat Talons

I was looking at it last night. I've got a spare right fuselage half from my stretch L-100 project. I'm going flying with my brother in law this morning and when I get back I'll get out the scriber and start cutting the right wheel well away. I've already started on the engine extension for my E and looking at the J engines they will need extending too.

I was looking at it last night. I've got a spare right fuselage half from my stretch L-100 project. I'm going flying with my brother in law this morning and when I get back I'll get out the scriber and start cutting the right wheel well away. I've already started on the engine extension for my E and looking at the J engines they will need extending too.

Oh yeah they do. Every kit I've seen (48th and 72nd) that purportedly says it's an H or J model never has the right length engines or the extended sponsons, much less all the extra little doodads. I guess that's why I'm having so much fun doing this. Aside from a bare bones airframe to work with, it's all scratch building. Woo hoo! I just hope the finished products will make the effort worthwhile. I do know this: these are the last C-130s I'm doing for a good long while.

Side note: I cut my right wheel well just in front of the gear bay's forward wall (so there would be some supporting structure there) and just in front of the tip of the sponson (so I could have that free of the fuselage to do the little air scoop thing on the front). Then I hacked out the section that needed to go.

That NACA scoop that you filled in on the right wheel well is the A/C inlet for the pack in the wheelwell...the "H" has the duct on the end of the fairing. Same for that new scoop on the right forward fuselage...flight deck A/C intake. The MC-130E upgraded to the H model air conditioning packs so they added the scoop on the forward fuselage but left the old one in the wheelwell. You are absolutely right about it being a "slick"130...I should probably start with my old slick C-130E...63-7842 was our slick at Kadena. I wanted to build it in the old SEA paint either when it was in TAC or just after MAC took over tactical airlift in 1976 with the blue MAC tail band and the MAC patch on the aft fuselage. It was an old Pope AFB bird. I always thought the herk looked good in that paint job.

Here are 3 C 130 model resin sites Flight Path David Parkin, another company that sells the correct C-130J Nacelles and one that sells the correct length engine for later E's and H's/ the parts I believe are for the Airfix kit.. The C130 J Nacelles are for the Italeri C-130 J kit, they even include the correct propellers.

The Italeri C-130 J kit is no C-130 J and the engine nacelles just look like regular nacelles on steroids. :cheers:

Parkins are the old DB molds and are designed for the OLD AIRFIX kit. The parts I bought will not fit the Italerie kit without some work.

Some seller on ebay who goes by a couple of names Franks Attic is selling c 130 conversion kits that may be copies of the old DB kits however the parts I purchased fit the italeri kits.

Her is Dave Parkins url:

http://www.djparkins.clara.net/fltpath/fpmaster.htm

lenghtened C 130 E,H Nacelles:

http://www.heritageaviationmodelsltd.com/h...f-fit-106-p.asp

C-130 J correct Nacelles:

http://www.theaviationworkshop.co.uk/resin/conversion/

According to photographic evidence I found on the herkybirds.com web site The wheel sponsons on the H models change and the enlarged Air Conditioner intake, began with C 130 c/n 4619 C-130H Nigerian Air force del 9/75

4620 C-130 H 74-1670 del 9/75. Some 130 E's and H's have the enlarged air conditioner intake for example the HTTB does.

4618 382c-46d C-130H RSAF was the last c 130 built with the short wheel sponsons from 4619 on the wheel sponsons are longer.

The Wheel sponsons are really a different curve longer and narrower and using Ron's Resin parts in 1/72 and 1/48th to extended the wheel sponson for the starboard side is the correct shape, but just adding the plug for the port side is the wrong shape. someone needs to produce a kit with both wheel sponsons lengthened.

However to get Ron's resin parts one has to deal with Snowy Mountain Models or High planes models to purchase a Ron's resin part and only when Ron feel like making the part. I have been bugging both of these Australian hobby shops for about 6 months to order the parts from Ron's resins. So far no luck.

Cheers

Good Luck

The Italeri C-130 J kit is no C-130 J and the engine nacelles just look like regular nacelles on steroids. ;)

The Wheel sponsons are really a different curve longer and narrower and using Ron's Resin parts in 1/72 and 1/48th to extended the wheel sponson for the starboard side is the correct shape, but just adding the plug for the port side is the wrong shape. someone needs to produce a kit with both wheel sponsons lengthened.

However to get Ron's resin parts one has to deal with Snowy Mountain Models or High planes models to purchase a Ron's resin part and only when Ron feel like making the part. I have been bugging both of these Australian hobby shops for about 6 months to order the parts from Ron's resins. So far no luck.

Cheers

Good Luck

I knew about the shape being different for the port sponson, but the difference is so minimal that I didn't bother trying to fix it. I could have, but I'm fast tracking my talon II. I ran into similar brick walls when looking for the Ron's resins correction set, and decided to avoid the expense and hassle and do it myself.

In regards to the J nacelles, it looks like everyone is on their own for 1/48th. Luckily for the long nacelles on the H model it's an easy fix.

I should be posting some pics of the assembled T2 fuselage today or tomorrow. I might wait until I attach the nose though.

Edited by Dez

Here's the assembled fuselage with nose attached. I still have to wait for the putty to cure and then I'll clean it up. After that I can start adding the ALQ-172 forward transmitters and the other smaller scoops and such around the nose. After that the windscreen goes in and I can add the other stuff around the windows. Doors and ramps still need to be put on. Wings and engines are done, but the tail needs its ECM fit done.

fus6.jpg

fus7.jpg

I should be posting some more pictures of my Talon II today or tomorrow. I've got the fuselage pretty much buttoned up, all that're left there are the ramp, troop doors, and the windscreen. Tail and horizontal stabilizers are on with all their various antenae, and the modified beavertail with all of its goodies is done too. I decided to do an "in flight" model (since I have no room to display both the T1 and T2) so the gear bays are closed up. Wings and engines are finished but unattached. After that all I have to do is festoon it with antennae, lumps, and bumps then paint it up. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing the pics Dez. You don't see the 1/48 Herks built that often, so any Talon makes that even more special.

Ditto on the 1/48 hill. Like the Ronald Wong painting "Fence Check".

I don't know how well the hill will hang from my son's ceiling. :sunrevolves:

A word of warning though, the interior is completely devoid of detail and the cockpit just has enough paint to make it passable. The real interior detail monster is still going to be the MC-130E.

Ok, updates!

Oblique shot of the assembled fuselage, mostly closed up with the ALQ-172 transmitters attached.

t21.jpg

The modified beavertail with all the ECM bits.

t25.jpg

The tail w/ ECM bits attached, (the light will go on last).

t24.jpg

A view of the upper surface of the fuselage with my penciled in antenna & lump placement diagrams. It's going to be busy up there, and down below is no different!

t22.jpg

That's it for now, I'll keep plugging away and posting updates. Most of what's left is piddling detail work and fragile things best left for last. I figure not much more than 2 weeks left on the T2.

Edited by Dez
Lookin good...let me know when I can send the flight engineer out to do a preflight!!! :cheers:

:lol: Wheels are already up, too late!

Good one Aircommando!

Nice work on this Dez! I wish I could get the nerve to finish mine. I'm putting the finishing touches on my 144th csale C-17.

Curt

So get the nerve. I was in a rut (for a long time I might add) sitting there worrying about how to do the AR pods for the talon 1, then I just sat up and did it. Once I finished the first one I wondered why I had let it go for so long. Go for it. :cop:

Edited by Dez

Another update:

Antennae are finished for the topside; a few of the bulkier, lower profile, and less fragile ones are done for the bottom.

Topside

ant1.jpg

A better view of the little scoop thingy and radome attachment latches.

ant2.jpg

Another view of topside

ant3.jpg

Going faster and faster now, and I have the next 4 days off. :monkeydance:

Looking forward to seeing the pics Dez. You don't see the 1/48 Herks built that often, so any Talon makes that even more special.

Ditto on the 1/48 hill. Like the Ronald Wong painting "Fence Check".

Why is that, you think? It's not like there's a shortage of the kits. Every one I see on ebay or anywhere else gets snapped up.

I've only ever seen one other 1/48th talon: some Hungarian guy did a diorama of the one that ate the runway in Iraq. That's it.

Lookin good...I love walking around on top the airplane with a new student. "Watch your step"...cause you will step on something you shouldn't!! I'm TDY to San Antonio till Friday...tough duty!! :thumbsup:
I should have some more minor update pics tomorrow. Got the troop doors finished and the ramp on. Not much left now except minor little fragile stuff, sticking the wings on, and getting it painted.

Enjoy that TDY!