What tools do I need to build kits?

Dear colleagues,

This is my FIRST post on the ARC, I have been reading and studying your pages in detail and finally I have discovered my old passion! I write from Brasil, and finally I have decided to enter my old hobby of building scale model aircraft.

I have a question that has probably been asked before BUT I hope you will not find it boring. I’m starting from nothing so I wish to know what members here believe are the best starter tools to work with. I like to work with airbrush so a recommendation of compressor / brush would be good (I used in the past a Badger 200 imported from USA). What tools are recommended? quite simply I would like a good idea for a tool kit to get me started. In regards to modeling I like the classic kits and wish to assemble them in the classical style (how they were designed to be made) so I will be building classic 50’s, 60’s & 70’s Airfix and some Matchbox kits not to get a fine scale model but to get a period looking replica. Lastly where on the internet supplies good quality tools at a good price? (Airbrush etc).

As stated, I am coming back to the hobby after a LONG break so be gentle with me.

1:72 kits purchased for my first builds are: Airfix Gloster Meteor, Airfix Harrier & Airfix Spitfire MKI

Hugs, Tete – Belo Horizonte - Brasil

your asking a mouthfull there. i have an aztek a4704 (the blue one) i have a testors blue ice compressor which is silent and works beautfuly.

basic tools

1. knife (my prefrence swan morton) number 10 10a and 11 blades ( use a blunt 10 blade for applying putty)

2. snips

3. tweezers ( i have 4 diffrent types which come in handy)

4. mini drill ( may not be used as often but comes into its own when used)

5. files (again same as above)

6. micromesh ( it can hide a multitude of sins on a canopy) n.b. can also be used to bring plasic back to an orignal shiny finish

7.toothpicks they come in handy for many things

8. tymia masking tape (soz for spelling)

9. liquid polly and super glue

10. i have a pick up tool that i use to hold small fiddly parts

11. play doh ( to mask soft demarcations)

12. klear/future floor polish

hope this is helpful to you :wave:

Funny you should mention it!

Fine Scale Modeler ran a feature on htis very topic in the latest issue (May 2007). Some good information.

Here is the article: "Start - or restart - your modeling!"

their recommendations may be hit or miss, depending on different folks opinions, but it gives a good idea of what all is out there and why you might need/want it...

As far as internet retailers, Roll Models, Squadron, Meteor Productions, and others.

Welcome back and enjoy! :cheers:

Welcome to ARC.

As mentioned, toothpicks. They are invaluable. I use them to pull out drops of paint when I need a small amount. I use them to stir paint. I use then as tiny paint brushes. I also use them to help position decals.

If you can, see if you can get a copy of last month's Fine Scale Modeler magazine. There is a pretty good article in it on what tools you need to model. It's broken down into beginning, intermediate and advanced catagories and is very comprehensive.

Some other items I don't know if they were listed or not in those articles that have come into good use for me are

1. Clothes pins to keep two parts together. usefull especially on wings and fusealage pieces.

2. Rubber bands to keep two parts together.

3. Safety pins to make holes in fuselage or wings where you have to open them up either for pylons or parts that need the holes made for.

1. Sprue snips - a good pair will save you lots of sanding

2. Waterproof Sanding sticks (like emery boards) - waterproof so you can wet sand too

3. Xacto knife

4. Flexi-i-file brand "touch n flow" glue applicator - oh man is this great totally keeps you model clean and your seams glued tight

5. Flex-i-file sanding system - these really make for nice smooth round transistion where you need to sand carefully.

6. Assortment of wet sanding papers or micromesh

7. Silly putty, play-doh, blue-tac or similar substance. For masking, put some ona toothpick for carefully applying small parts with cyanocryolite, and just holding stuff in place for dry fitting.

8. Para-film or Press-n-seal saran wrap - good for masking canopies, the saran wrap is also goor for making hard edge masks when paintining (but dont leave it on for than a couple hours).

9. Self healing cutting mat

10. toothpicks, cotton swabs, and sewing pins - great for all kinds of stuff.

That's easy... This is all you need... :tease:

40 bottles of paint, 3 kinds of thinners, 5 different types of glue, 3 lamps (one with the magnifier built in), 4 kinds of tape, 3 art knives with 4 different kinds of blades. 2 airbrushes, 1 compressor, 4 kind’s of finishes - flat, semi-gloss, gloss and metalizer sealer. Press-to-Seal Saran Wrap, Post-It notes, Bare Metal Foil, Aluminum Foil, Aluminum powder, Aluminum spray, Aluminum pens, Aluminum cream rub, 12 grades of sandpaper, several versions of nail files, buffers and other sanding apparatus. Clamps, vices, pencils, markers, enough small metal tools you'd think I was a do it yourself Dentist. Enough pastel chalk to sketch a wall size mural, 2 mixing trays (one for paint, one for chalk), about 15 distinctly different paint brushes (Constantly replaced by the way), a saw, a machine to fold photo etch, a Dremel with 600 attachments of which I actually use 6, small rubber hoses, electrical wire, 3 different shades of thread, bags of brass and steel tubing, spools of wire that mimic aluminum & steel tubing, two kinds of toothpicks - the flat ones and the round ones, pipe cleaners, jars, two contraptions to hold pieces of models. 3 kinds of putty, Blue Tac, plastercine, 3 pin vices, 20 drill bits, a compass set, cutting board, scissors, lazy Susan (invaluable for painting by the way), 5 - ¼ ounce paint cups, a dozen books ranging from "How to Airbrush" to "Rare Squadron Markings of the Luftwaffe" :cheers: