My Every airforce 1/72 Phantom GB

hi folks i'm here with my phantom collection which i started 9 years ago and was completed recently. Not alot of pictures as more pic will be up on the mainpage in time(cross fingers and hopes). just a bried history i started with an airfix f-4J bought in the UK back in 1998 for about 7.99 pounds. From Beatty Hobbies if i remember. since then the phantoms have just poured in, partly due to the fact that my dad is also a Phantom Phanatic( since the late 60's if i may add)

i'll just go by the sequence that i built them.. Phantom experten might wanna throw me out for lots of violations on staying true to details and the quality of my workpieces. i humbly apologise for some of the really poor finishing, because they were done in my stone-age days where i did not yet have airbrushes or know anything about preshading.

my 1st phantom done in 98, the much loved nostalgic f-4. My dad did this kit back in '78 and he even kept the original instruction manuals..

f4vf31.jpg

my 2nd phantom was, naturally, a jolly roger. and in 2001 i handpainted the skull and bones ( no idea what aftermarket was) this is the italeri kit yeah i know vf-84 didn't have F-4S, so i added a nose pod to make it a N. :lol:

f4jr.jpg

hasegawa old mould F-4F late 2001 with mix and matched decals

f4f.jpg

the following 4 were built as a batch in 2002. all are hasegawa old mould phantoms.. (i managed to get a whole stack of them at us$3.50 apiece.

israeli phantom using the airfix decals

f4isr.jpg

a japanese EJ with masked and sprayed special scheme. man that eagle's head was hard to do.

f4ej.jpg

a spanish one where i used (gasp!) spanish hornet decals..

f4spain.jpg

and a 5000th phantom with decals from the box. some chipping on the decals cuz of rough handling heehee

f45000.jpg

after that israel kit i knew i had to do more spooks in flight. My dad's expertisein making inflight stands helped alot. so 2 collaborations were made where i did the aircraft and he did the stand and diorama base

a gunze sangyo f-4F in bright rictofen colours and another italeri f-4s in vf-103 markings were built in 2003.

01.jpg

F4vf103.jpg

Edited by Tomcat RIO

2003 was ended off with a matchbox f-4k with his nosegear extended for a future diorama

f4k.jpg

i began 2005 with a pair of ESCI phantoms, an F-4G and a RF-4C

spangedelm f-4g, i think this particular plane served in desert storm?

f4g.jpg

rf4c.jpg

the end of 2006 saw another trio being assembled together, this time 2 hasegawa old moulds and a airfix kit that was sawn and sanded to the shape of the F-4H1

phantom from the land of kangaroos!

f4aust.jpg

is this the correct egyptian markings? i just used spares i had from a kopro mig-17

f4egypt.jpg

f4h1.jpg

and finally a big push in 2007 with a phantom every month in order to fulfil a Phantasy. again all are hasegawa old mould kits, exceptfor the last which is a tamiya reboxing of the italeri f-4E

this is iranian, at least i think it looks the part. decals are totally inaccurrate i know.

f4iriaf.jpg

korean! the insignia is handpainted by the way. the only ones i knew were the academy 1/48 f-16s.. too big. no company does aftermarket for korean insignia?

f4korea.jpg

a turkish phantom using tamiya decals

f4turk.jpg

and a greek one to end off

f4greek.jpg

hope you guys enjoyed my small contribution.. will post more of my finished works here. flames and comments are welcome. :)

A guy after my own heart. Very nice start :cheers: Done that same thing myself, with the addition of another 70 or so Phantoms.

Check out the gallery here on ARC, 17 chapters of phantoms so far.

thanks for all the kind comments guys. i was really worried cuz some of those insignia markings are way off in terms of accuracy and i thought i was gonna get flamed by the phantom phanatics out there..

reply to raptor, yeah only 1 usaf phantom in 1/72, cuz i have 3 of the usaf spooks in 1/48 already.hehe.

reply to phantom, yup you were really an inspiration for me to finish up the whole series of phantoms ever since i saw tat article long ago with your 1/72 phantoms from wall to ceiling.

Cutting Edge did a decal sheet with S Korean F-4s on it (and Iranian, Spanish and NY ANG).

Good job on the collection - now treat yourself to a nice modern kit like the new tool Revell F-4Fs or Hasegawa's. No more old tool Hasegawa's or Esci's!

• 1 month later...