A Night at the Museum

My model club - the Long Island Scale Model Society normally meets in a local library, but this month we got bumped (that often happens in August), and we were able to hold our meeting this week at the Cradle of Aviation Museum at Mitchell Field. A few of our members are volunteers there, and we have been working with the museum to set up a model aircraft display at the museum. Since it was after normal museum hours, after a short business meeting, we had the run of the place. The museum celebrates the rich aviation history of Long Island.

F-14 #3, used for flight test by Grumman. When operational, she carried 5 "kill" markings signifying Soviet trawlers she buzzed off the waters of Long Island during flight test work :(

189551373-L.jpg

A-6F prototype

189551779-L.jpg

A-10A in the markings of Capt. Mike Baltzar during Desert Storm. Mike was a college/AFROTC classmate of mine.

189552226-L.jpg

189552406-L.jpg

189552632-L.jpg

Spirit of St. Louis replica. This aircraft was used in the 1957 Jimmy Stewart movie on Lindbergh.

189552846-L.jpg

Edited by Moose135

Grumman F3F-2

189553264-L.jpg

American Aeronautical S-56, designed by Savoia Marchetti, and built on LI by American Aero. One of two surviving examples.

189553428-L.jpg

Grumman F-11F Tiger, in Blue Angels colors, with the markings of Lt. Norm Gandia, a Long Islander who flew with the Blues.

189570316-L.jpg

189553903-L.jpg

Republic RC-3 Seabee

189554140-L.jpg

Grumman F9F-7 Cougar

189554513-L.jpg

Republic P-84B Thunderjet

189553656-L.jpg

Grumman Lunar Module

189555293-L.jpg

189555477-L.jpg

That is so cool! I would love to visit that place. Please post more photos!

Mark

Edit: (Of course you do just as I am typing that request! Thanks!!)

Edited by Mark O. Williams

Great shots. I so wanted to see that museum when I was there with the CWH but we just didn't have the time. Our club is so lucky. We meet in a aircraft museum once a month, www.warplane.com

Thanks for posting the pics,maybe next time I'm down we can meet this time! Hopefully we will be coming back for the Jones Beach Show next year.

Tony

That OA-10A looks like 76-0535 from the 23rd TASS - Nail Fac tail codes.

I'm glad that at least one of the old FAC'ers survived. The rest are in pieces out here in AMARG.

BTW - the museum needs to come up with a few lengths of 1.25 diameter pipe so they can finish off the GAU-8 gun mock up.

Thanks for posting the photos -

If/when I ever get back th NYC, I'll have to stop in.

ATB -

- Rip -

Thanks, guys. I've been to the museum a number of times, but this was a special opportunity, having the place to ourselves, I could set up the tripod and take some long exposure shots without worrying about people wandering into the shot (or the tripod!) In addition to a couple of our members who are museum volunteers, there was one museum worker with us. Turns out he flew KC-97s back in the '50, and we got to trading refueling stories!

That OA-10A looks like 76-0535 from the 23rd TASS - Nail Fac tail codes.

You're right about that - I zoomed in on the original hi-rez shot and could read the number. I also remember when I spoke with Mike Baltzar, he told me about flying FAC missions in DS.

Nice pic taken there. That night pic of the front entrance is stunningly clear and sharp.

Thanks, that was a multiple exposure shot layered together, I've always wanted to shoot the outside of the museum at night.

Tony, would love to meet you if you return for the Jones Beach show next year - will you be bringing the same bird you did this year? I promise I won't tell anyone.

And anyone else, if you do get up this way, please give a shout, I'd be glad to meet for a trip to the Cradle.