Talking about the Super-Hornet's bombload...

I'm not sure exactly why, but that post just broke me up this morning! Thanks, Tank, for giving me a good laugh to start my day!

Joe

Maybe it was the mental image of a pilot looking like this... -> :coolio:

three ECMOs looking like this... - > :o :o :o

and Tank looking something like this -> ;)

I dunno...

Maybe it was the mental image of a pilot looking like this... -> :crying2:

three ECMOs looking like this... - > :o :o :o

and Tank looking something like this -> :taunt:

I dunno...

And that infamous phrase being said by all four collectively.....

HOLYYYY SSSHHHHHIIII..........!!!!

Edited by Johnopfor
The Super Hornet has its place, dont get me wrong, but the defence of the fleet, will always be the Tommy's game, i just hop the IRIAF did get smart and upgrade there F-14's to D spec or better

Fleet Air Defense is no longer any air breather's game...that domain belongs to the AEGIS platforms now.

The SPY-1 normally works too.

Oh the joy of running CAP stations of with Tomcats, not a working radar in the flight. Probably why WACO never got a RAW sniff.

One of the most impressive things I ever saw while in was an AEGIS cruiser on the "gun" line just knocking stuff out of the sky from surface (supersonic sea skimmer) to space, at the same time, and not working that hard. Having been deployed on one, if felt about as close to being on the death star as you could ever get.

HTH

Spongebob

Edited by Spongebob
That's until it runs out of missiles during a saturation attack.

Like if 1 Tico was up against the combined firepower of the Russians and Chinese? These things have 127 missile cells and there are usually atleast 2 with a carrier at any one time. Usually there are also atleast 2 more (sometime 3) Burke class AEGIS destroyers with another 90-96 cells depending upon which Flight... And there's another warship with - them too, either one of ours or an allied vessel- usually from Britain, Australia or Canada which provide air defense too as a back up. Add in the networking capabilty and the fleet can more than capable of taking care of itself as Spongebob has attested to. Remember an ballistic missile or sea skimmer is a hell of a lot more difficult a target than a plane.

ex-tomcat RIO switches off his intercept radar, goes to his new super hornet WSO station, turns the ground attack mode radar on, and finds the threads cluttered with Navy ships, Prowlers?! and Death Stars.. if only i can simultaneously track a dozen targets and ripple fire my anti ship phoenixes.. :blink:

As a big of a fan of the Tomcat as I am, I have to acknowlege that it really had some issues. All of the Tomcat pilots I've talked to had pretty much the same things to say: the AWG-9 was an excellent Air-defense radar... WHEN IT WORKED. It had one of the worst reliability-ratings of any radar system before or after it's time. Even during the 1981 Gulf of Sidhra conflict, "Music"s Radar went Tango-Uniform just as he was locking up one of the fitters for a sparrow-shot. Not a good place to be when you only have one sidewinder! (his second sidewinder rail had an electric short in it...)

Combine that with the fact that quality positive IFF systems have been near non-existent in Navy aircraft until the Super Hornet, and I can see why Waco and the others laugh at it. I'm totally arm-chairing this, but logic would dictate that trying to BVR fight in a Tomcat without a Hawkeye (or some other AEW asset I guess) IFF-ing for it would kinda be like driving down the interstate in second gear. This really limited them in the Gulf War.

That said, it's still my favorite jet :doh:

Guess the AEGIS cant cover everything

http://www.indianexpress.com/story/215163.html

*cough* F-14 would have shot them down* Cough*

naw im just messin, least we got them back

Though in any case I doubt we'd be using the full capabilities of our vessels- nor would the Indians be using everything they have- since that would be giving away a lot of information to the respective SIGINT communities. I doubt anyone brings their A game to this sort of thing.

Also, the Indian media does it's share of chest thumping... so I wouldn't read too much into it.

Though in any case I doubt we'd be using the full capabilities of our vessels- nor would the Indians be using everything they have- since that would be giving away a lot of information to the respective SIGINT communities. I doubt anyone brings their A game to this sort of thing.

Also, the Indian media does it's share of chest thumping... so I wouldn't read too much into it.

I read about something like that when the Indians sent some of thier Su-30's to the UK for a joint exercise. They refused to turn on thier radars because they (and the Russians) didn't want thier electronic signatures to be picked up by the allies.

I like popcorn

I like jets

I like props

The fishing has not been good this year.

Please donate to the "buy me a house fund" so that I can start building again.

Some great lines in here guys. Thank you for the laughs. I needed them today.