Models for a Fighter Wing

Greetings,

I'm almost ready to do the major assembly of the F-84F in SEA Camo. Got the cockpit almost done, the forward gear bay, engine, and wings together and the interior painted. It won't be long before I get to mask and paint the exterior and try to figure out how to mark it. Just thought I'd keep everyone posted since the thread rose from the deep :rolleyes:

Mike

Rama Lama Nota Lota Anything

Temple of the Rain

Oregon

I hit the base in hopes to find what progress has been made for the history room but the people in charge of the project are TDY for annual training in Georgia.

I did add a section in my forums for this group build.When all are completed and if no one has any objections I'd like to submit an article to Steve about this project.

http://z15.invisionfree.com/Plastic_Modeling/index.php

Edited by ThePhantomTwo
Greetings,

I'm almost ready to do the major assembly of the F-84F in SEA Camo. Got the cockpit almost done, the forward gear bay, engine, and wings together and the interior painted. It won't be long before I get to mask and paint the exterior and try to figure out how to mark it. Just thought I'd keep everyone posted since the thread rose from the deep :nanner:

Mike

Temple of the Rain

Oregon

Our SEA camo F-84's had the typical standard markings,the only had "IND" near the top of the tail.

113tfs-1967.jpg

• 3 months later...

I talked to the PAO/Community Manager a few minutes ago and asked about the History Room project:

Yes the history room is still a go. Probably be August/Sept before I get possession to start moving in though. I will keep you informed.

Let me know if you guys are sill in on helping the unit out on this project.I know we haven't had alot of discussion going on regarding the project lately but I'm still firmly committed on making this happen for them.

INDangF4EHF.jpg

You didn't so happen to get shots of the other side did you? :rolleyes:

Between 1987 and 93 I took a roll of film each week to get processed,had walk-arounds of every jet we had,but 3 moves and a divorce took thier toll on what I had,only have a hand-full of those pics that survived :bandhead2:

And a bump for the people involved :thumbsup:

I'll be hitting the base Friday to see if I can catch the right people to discuss the project.

The people who have been working on models for the project can post their projects here on ARC and/or in this forum:

113th FS/181st FW History Room Project Forum

Edited by ThePhantomTwo

Greetings,

Wow, tempus fugit... Just have some sanding to do on the SEA F-84F fuselage and the painting will commence. Took some time off to finish my Lunar Module for the Real Space GB and to get the new cat settled in.

Thanks,

Mike

Temple of the Rain

Oregon

Thanks for the update!

Even though things may be moved into the history room,the model portion will always be a work in progress for awhile,things being added when new kits come out,ect.

With some new Phantom decals for the unit coming out,needless to say,those will be added as they come available.I have at least 3-4 Phantom projects I have in mind for the room,not to mention a couple of F-100 ones as well,gathering the needed items as I get the money and as soon as they get released.

I'm also hoping we might be able to get some press for the project,both for the unit and ARC.Jake,you had better get ready for some interviews,I'm too ugly for cameras....... :rolleyes:

You didn't so happen to get shots of the other side did you? :crying2:

Between 1987 and 93 I took a roll of film each week to get processed,had walk-arounds of every jet we had,but 3 moves and a divorce took thier toll on what I had,only have a hand-full of those pics that survived :rolleyes:

Sorry, that appears to be the only shot of that jet I have. I have no idea how this can be as the Phantom Phreak that I am, I was usually all over every F-4 I could find on the display. Bummer.

When I hit my first airshow in 85, I thought hey a roll and a half will be enough film. Doofus. Because of my shortsightedness I have exactly ONE photo of a New Jersey ANG F-106. After that they were gone to the boneyard and I was left wondering "why am I not better prepared?". :wacko:

Seems to be the story of my early photography period.

Rick L.

Well,dernit,I need to get names off the other side,I know two of them 100% but not sure about the any others,I haven't seen any of it's former crew chiefs lately to ask.68-0326 was our first Wing King F-4E,most pics out there are the second one we had,68-0424.Never did have a F-4C Wing King jet for some odd reason,did have one or two painted up for special occasions though.Love the pic BTW!

When I hit base Friday,I'll try and see if they have a pic of it in their files,if they don't I'll have to track down it's former crew chief and quiz him who the WSO and DACC(s) were on the jet.

I'm still in, Dave. 1/48 and 1/32 Vipers when you're ready for them.

Jake

I'll ask RJ for a confirmed date that we can start placing them in the room,my gut feeling is that it'll be be in September sometime.

You HAVE to be here for the official opening I hope ya know,no excuses!

Plus I'll let Doogie,Bert and rest of the crew out at the base about your latest escapades and projects :o

I'll ask RJ for a confirmed date that we can start placing them in the room,my gut feeling is that it'll be be in September sometime.

You HAVE to be here for the official opening I hope ya know,no excuses!

Plus I'll let Doogie,Bert and rest of the crew out at the base about your latest escapades and projects :cheers:

I'll be there. I don't think I have anything going on in September. I will actually be starting another project about that time that I'd like you, Doogie, and Bert to be a part of if you're willing.

My most recent "escapade" didn't go as well as I'd hoped. I got some good shots, but with the 110F heat, turbulence, and smoke from the California fires, I was ready to call it a day and get my butt back on the ground. Still, it was a great time, just not as successful as I envisioned.

Jake

I'll be there. I don't think I have anything going on in September. I will actually be starting another project about that time that I'd like you, Doogie, and Bert to be a part of if you're willing.

My most recent "escapade" didn't go as well as I'd hoped. I got some good shots, but with the 110F heat, turbulence, and smoke from the California fires, I was ready to call it a day and get my butt back on the ground. Still, it was a great time, just not as successful as I envisioned.

Jake

Anytime you need help for something,just let me know,you should know by now I'm ready to help out on any project you can come up with :cheers:

Sorry to hear your trip didn't turn out as well as you hoped,I bet it was still a blast! :)

Hey Dave. I think I've finally figured out a way to build models in my apt, so I'll be getting back at the modeling bench soon.

Has anyone called dibs on the Colt's jet yet? If not, I've got a Hasegawa kit, a true details seat, a display base, and an itch to return to modeling.

I'm still in, just got side-tracked with everything. What's the current due date?

We're looking at a late August,early September time frame,as I mention the room is going to be a work in progress,if a couple of kit come in late so be it.

Has anyone called dibs on the Colt's jet yet? If not, I've got a Hasegawa kit, a true details seat, a display base, and an itch to return to modeling.

We have a Block 25 and 30 in 1/48 scale and a Block 30 in 1/32 but I believe the Colt's jet is still open,I say go for it!PM me with you e-mail and I can send you the walk-arounds of the jet that I took,I'll send them Saturday while at work.

Edited by ThePhantomTwo
We have a Block 25 and 30 in 1/48 scale and a Block 30 in 1/32 but I believe the Colt's jet is still open,I say go for it!PM me with you e-mail and I can send you the walk-arounds of the jet that I took,I'll send them Saturday while at work.

Awesome! I had looked through the thread and didn't see anyone's name attached to it, but I wondered if someone had contacted you via PM since the last update.

Luckily the late August/early September time frame will give me enough time to brush up on my modeling skills on another kit before I dive into the Colts jet project. Because if one of my models will be on display somewhere, especially at a fighter wing, I want it to look as good as I can make it.

I'll go ahead and send you my email addy. The only pictures I've seen so far are the ones you've posted a while back, and the one earlier in this thread. Was it ever loaded with anything? Fuel tanks? CATMs? etc...?

Side note:

When I looked up this airframe at F-16.net I found this

Special characteristics:

* Unit Markings: 13 FS

Which happens to be one of my favorite squadrons. Which reminded me that I had an old Aeromaster sheet. I don't have it on me at the moment, so I did a quick check at Modeling Madness I can't see it clearly, but it looks like it may have actually been marked up as the 432nd boss bird at one point.

The only pictures I've seen so far are the ones you've posted a while back, and the one earlier in this thread. Was it ever loaded with anything? Fuel tanks? CATMs? etc...?

It wasn't painted like that for long, Keith, and mostly after the squadron stopped flying their daily missions. I shot it at the last mission celebration last September.

Jake

85-1495_181FW_JMelampy2.jpg

oooo, that's the kind of pic I was hoping for. Thanks Jake. I figured if it carried anything, it wouldn't be much, but a centerline tank, and a few things on the wing is better than nothing. I just don't like my models to be bare unless they are demo jets.

oooo, that's the kind of pic I was hoping for. Thanks Jake.

You're very welcome. I think it was a CATM-9M on the other wing. I'm sure Dave will recall if I'm wrong.

Jake

oooo, that's the kind of pic I was hoping for. Thanks Jake. I figured if it carried anything, it wouldn't be much, but a centerline tank, and a few things on the wing is better than nothing. I just don't like my models to be bare unless they are demo jets.

The last fly day config IIRC did have the CATM-9 and AMD/AMA.The 3-4 months it flew in that scheme it probably flew air-to-air and air-to-ground training missions so CATM-9,AMA/AMD,LITENING,ect. were hung from it.I'll send what I have Saturday.

Jake,Col. Hauser and Col. Colbert asked why you don't write them anymore,they are green with envy on your rides,you've had more than them in the last 6-8 months!They want to hear all about your travels and exploits.

While at the base yesterday,I finally recieved the ok to release pics of the "unofficial" Retro scheme applied to F-16C 85-1552,it was only supposed to stay on the aircraft for a few days but stayed applied for nearly a month or so,most markings were taken of prior to our Final Flight day due to extreme peeling of the vinyl markings that were used.

100_2953.jpg

100_2961.jpg

100_2960.jpg