1/144-scale grass

G'Day all. I've now got all of the elements to do a dio of 4 x B17G's about to join the line-up behind 4 others (all with noseart). I reckon that I'll use paint for the hard-standings & the taxiway, But I'm seeking a suggestion(s) on how to do the grass. More paint? A thin layer of???

Whatever I use, it'll have to be able to have some drag marks/furrows in the grass (where the Me 110 crashed).

TIA. George, out....................

:D G'day George,

That's an easy problem to solve. Next time you mow your lawn just lower the mower to whatever length 1/144 scale grass is and use a little white glue to stick it to the base board. ;) :) On a more serious note you could try some model train grass, just mash it a bit and see how it goes.

:),

Ross.

Do you like it like this? :salute:

mustangout4kr4.jpg

mustang2705045ho8.jpg

mustang2705046ov1.jpg

mustang2705051fl7.jpg

mustangout3sh5.jpg

It´s made (basically) of model-railway grasmats, than thinned out on some aereas with a cutter.

Than "heavy poudered" first with several layers of pastel-chalks (yellow,tan, different oliv-greens) and drybrushed with enamels (again yellow, tan and Humbrol #80...), finally saved with clear colour.

Model is the 1/144 scale P-51D "Petie 2nd" from Platz with some extra detail added

(sorry for my non-perfect english)

In the UK, *everything* is a bit mucked up - driving on the wrong side of the road, cab doors hinge at the wrong end, and the PM gets to pick the date for the elections, and the fascination with inserting the letter "u" in various odd places. Weird place, that... <_<

Personally, seeing as the diorama sounds like it's going to be fairly large (four B-17s and an Me-110 in 1/144 takes up quite a bit of space...) I'd experiment with different kinds of model train grass, from different scales - remember, in 1/144, 1/72 grass is just taller grass, that's all. Not every hill and field is mowed to the consistancy of a golf court... Also, a few tiny drops of color here would simulate wildflowers, etc.

SP

Thanx a lot for your words, guys :(

But what about Loggie, who asked? Was it helpful or not or should it look completely different...? :banana:

G'Day Mike. Dunno as my computer shows only grey squares. I gotta go to an Internet cafe to see your work. But your discription makes sence, so I'll give it a go.

Thanks, Mike. George, out.................

We invented the language.... you just decided to drop some 'u's! :D :P

I think that a German company called Noch does lots of very good grass mats etc if you want some guidance to try. Woodland Scenics are good aswell.

Greetings,

The German grass is really good stuff! Comes in several different types.

No matter what material you are using as flocking, remember that the base color determines how the final product looks. Experiment with various colors.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Rama Lama Nota Lota Anything

Temple of the Rain

Oregon