olemanjoe,

The MiG looks like the front section of a MiG21MF, aka Fishbed J. Used by VAF well after the war. I agree that the F-4 appears to be a B model, no guess as to the squadron.

Thanks for posting the link.

:rofl:

Itch

if the serial is indeed 153001 then it was a F-4B written off 15th of May, 1967. It belonged to the VF-114 "Fighting Aardvarks" (you can still sorta see the "114" on the left hand side and the "NH" tailcode on the right side of the tail)

That would've been one of their earliest jets, when all they had was the orange fincap with the tiny white sillouette of Zott on it

Edited by Skull Leader

MiG is definitely either a MiG-21MF "Fishbed J", which they did use late in the war, or possibly a MiG-21bis "Fishbed L" which they used after the war, and I *think* they still operate....probably a "J", but you never know. Need to get home to compare minor cockpit details.

olemanjoe,

The MiG looks like the front section of a MiG21MF, aka Fishbed J. Used by VAF well after the war. I agree that the F-4 appears to be a B model, no guess as to the squadron.

Thanks for posting the link.

:wub:

Itch

i sorta figured it was a later mark, from the MF onwards. The earlier PF versions had that prominent radar hood just below the HUD...

if the serial is indeed 153001 then it was a F-4B written off 15th of May, 1967. It belonged to the VF-114 "Fighting Aardvarks" (you can still sorta see the "114" on the left hand side and the "NH" tailcode on the right side of the tail)

That would've been one of their earliest jets, when all they had was the orange fincap with the tiny white sillouette of Zott on it

Hey Skull Leader, thot you'd be one of the ones with the answer :wub:

I think you may be right with the ID... The font style used on the tail code is kinda prominent and I think only the Aardvarks had this style. Not sure about the serial number though, I cant really make it out. Do you have a operational history of this particular F4 and how it was 'written off'?

Thanks, man!

MiG is definitely either a MiG-21MF "Fishbed J", which they did use late in the war, or possibly a MiG-21bis "Fishbed L" which they used after the war, and I *think* they still operate....probably a "J", but you never know. Need to get home to compare minor cockpit details.

hmmm, I dont have any complete references of the 'pit of the Mig21... but all I can figure out is its not an earlier PF/PFM... I'd appreciate it if you can check your books... :wub: thanks, dood!

This is my favourite, love the camo on this. I believe this Mig17 appeared as a colour profile in the Osprey's Mig 17 and Mig 19 Units of the Vietnam War. Its a pity its left out in the open, in a few more years the camo would have disappeared/faded totally...

http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m181/bu...g-17F%20No2011/

Now can anyone figure out whether the camo is added before or after the conflict ended?

That's an F-105D canopy frame sitting on top of the Phantom. Quite a collection of junk in that pile.

The remark in the Production and Operational Data book for 153001 says combat loss 14 May 1967 -damage from own Zuni rockets. Crew were POWs. I know it looks terrible, but the outer shape is still mostly intact leading me to wonder how it fell out of the sky and stayed like that.

As far as the MiG goes, it's not only the style of radar hood, nor the fact that it has the KM-1 seat that's the giveaway as its being an M/MF or a bis; on the left side of the intake is the AOA vane, introduced on the M/MF series; also, the PF/PFM's had the large pitot boom on the top of the nose. Plus, the straight PF's had a totally different canopy style, and didn't have the plate extending under the auxiliary air intake just in front of the wing root, just below; that feature was added on later -21's so the engine wouldn't ingest the gun gasses once the later MiGs were designed with the 23mm gun on the centerline.

Hi all

The photos in the album were taken by me last month. Thanks for helping in identifying the Mig-21 variants.

The Phantom is a VF-114 F-4B Pantom II based off USS Kitty Hawk and carried BuNo 153001. It was piloted by LCdr Charles E Soutwick and Lt David J Rollins and was shot down on 14 May 1967 during a flak suppression mission against suspected AAA/SAM sites over Ham Rong Bridge, near Thanh Hoa (19º47’N, 105º50’E). Both men survived and were captured and did not return home until 4 April 1973.

I got to say that the Phantom is one tough aircraft after falling out of the sky and not breaking up into thousand of little pieces!

Lawrence

Edited by CHUNKY Q