ITALERI AC-130U PICS

I am considering purchasing the Italeri ac-130u kitin 48th scale, and would like to see as many examples as I can. So if you have any pics of this model completed or in progress it would be great. The more the merrier. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving

Edited by snakejake

One of the major problems with what you are asking is that the C-130 anything in 1/48 scale is pretty darn big, and there just are not that many builds out there of them. It is not that we don't want to help...ARC has some of the most willing people in existance, and they will go way out of thier way to help...it is just that we can't help you.

I wish you luck if you do decide to buy and build this kit. I had it once apon a time, but sold it when I realized just how big of a model it was, and how much effort I would have to put into building it.

Aaron

I wish you luck if you do decide to buy and build this kit. I had it once apon a time, but sold it when I realized just how big of a model it was, and how much effort I would have to put into building it.

Aaron

Call me a glutton for punishment but I have three of them I plan on building some day.

I know that the reason was that you guys couldn't and not that you wouldn't. I just want to see as many as I can to get an idea of what lies ahead. I can't find any real reviews of it or even any pictures of finished birds. Actually the only pictures of a finished kit is here on ARC in the gallery section.

Edited by snakejake

if you can't find it here, and you can't find it over on hyperscale, more likely than not, you're outta luck. Look for any review of a 1/48 Italeri C-130, it doesn't have to be the gunship version. The kits all go together basically the same (version-specific parts are swapped out of a main kit, I think). So pretty much any build will give you at least a basic idea of what you're in for.

If you do the cargo door open, you're in for a lot of work, as AC-130s (ANY variant) have a very busy interior, and the kit does next to nothing for it, most of what they provide being inaccurate. While I have seen the insides of the kit, I don't have a 1/48 U-boat in my collection currently. I DO have a 1/48 AC-130A kit and it's a beast (in it's 4ft long box!). As near as I could remember, the bird was relatively accurate for one of the original early FSD-turned-active duty bird AC-130Us (only a couple U-models had the long probe on the side of the nose... that was a holdover from the AC-130E/H). If you want to modernize it at all, you've got a lot of work cut out for you. The ACs (both Hs and Us) have seriously uglied up over the past 10 years or so, adding all kinds of lumps and bumps they didn't have when that kit came out.

Lastly, I wouldn't pay as much attention to a finished product/photos if you're trying to get the measure of a certain kit. It's like trying to judge how good a camera is from a certain photograph (all you're getting a measure of is the skill of the photographer, not the equipment he/she used). A good modeler will be able to make the kit look great regardless of the plastic in the box. When it comes to 1/48 C-130s of any variant, the size of the kit just cries out for customization and detailing. Most people who build one spend a great deal of time adding to it. Building it OOB would almost be a criminal waste of a perfectly blank canvas :D

Edited by Skull Leader

Hi there

Not an AC-130 but a huge superdatailed build of the 48th scale kit. The detail this guy put in is astounding!!!

http://www.modelclub.gr/forums/index.php?P...mp;topic=2874.0

I am sure you will learn a lot from this thread.....even though it is in Greek! But I am sure Google has some sort of translation thingy.

Cheers

Anthony

I just flipped thru 35 pages of the C-130 Greek modelers' thread. It was kinda funny with it all being in Greek. Since I couldn't understand it really, I was just looking at the progress pictures page to page. There would be a few pics then a whole page or two of posts which had tons of eyeball-popping smilies. I got a real kick out of it.

Seriously though, what an amazing effort! Thanks for posting the link.

Regards, Greg

I built the AC130 in 1/48 I can tell it's a great kit be sure you have plenty of display room it is a Beast when it's finished and yes I did close the rear cargo doors .mine is done in SEA camo ,the fit is pretty good pay attention to the wing roots they can be a problem I spent about 3 months on mine building it but all totaled it probably sat on the bench for a year great thing about this hobby sometimes you just have to go to something else and then come back .I say it's up to you but I'd do it again :thumbsup: soon as Can I 'll upload some pics for ya Good Luck Ed :worship:

I'd love to add my pics, but I don't have any, and the model is in storage somewhere at my parent's home. I had hung it from the ceiling since it is a monster. I'd like to take another crack at this one sometime.

Good luck with your build.

• 2 weeks later...