Painting Tamiya FLAT white

I'm not sure why but it seems like almost ALL white paint is a giant PITA. :)

If you have a micro-mesh pad (12000 or so) you should be able to smooth it with that. You may have to go over it again depending on how much paint you have to remove in order to get it smooth.

Hey G0, Tamiya's flat white and gloss white are tricky - you don't thin it as much as the other Tamiya colors, and you gotta build it up slowly (2-4 coats). The easy way to do white, especially if it's flat white, is to use Floquil's Reefer White (available in acrylic and enamel). Thin with a few drops of distilled water. For some reason this covers really well.

Hey G0, Tamiya's flat white and gloss white are tricky - you don't thin it as much as the other Tamiya colors, and you gotta build it up slowly (2-4 coats). The easy way to do white, especially if it's flat white, is to use Floquil's Reefer White (available in acrylic and enamel). Thin with a few drops of distilled water. For some reason this covers really well.

They have floquil acrylic reefer white? I tried Polly Scale's reefer white and thought it was pretty cruddy

One trick that I was pretty happy with on the bottom of my Corsair was to use a MM Light Gray (looks white) instead of White. It sprayed good and didn't have the problems that white has. Next to the blues on the rest of the plane it looks white.

Yup... always have this problem with Tamiya white... but after gloss coat goes on for the decals... and 4 coats of matt after the 'graininess' it is not noticeable...

Thanks for the hint about multiple thin layers to avoid this :-)

-Greg

They have floquil acrylic reefer white? I tried Polly Scale's reefer white and thought it was pretty cruddy

If it says "Floquil" on the bottle, it is enamel. Polly Scale is the equivalent acrylic, but it does not say "Floquil" on the bottle.

Both are good paints.

For spraying large areas white, Tamiya White Primer works best in my experience. It's been about 2-3 yrs since I've needed to paint a large area white and it was on a 1/48 Tomcat gray/white scheme and I was very impressed with how that worked out. I'd go light on the primer but it covers very well and then just finish off with your normal Tamiya bottle white and easy as pie. The Tamiya Primer snuggles down well when it dries so it's not going to clog panel lines unless you go nuts with the stuff.