Does anyone know of another paint thinner to use for modelmasters paints besides the modelmasters or testors thinner something that is maybe a Walmart brand I have a hard time finding the two mentioned brands. If anyone can please help I would appericate it.

Thanks

Helo

What I would do, since I do not know of any such thinner brand, is take a bottle of MM paint to a hardware store, and ask the guys of there's anything that cleans a paint made of the substances found in it i.e. MM paint.

My question however is: where did you buy your MM paints from? If it's a hobby store, shouldn't they have thinner nearby?

I've used to use MM Airbrush thinner, but availability here in Holland means I’ve only used it for a short time. So I’ve tried various thinners.

The best alternative as far as I am concerned is lacquer thinner bought at the local hardware store. It works perfectly. It's a lot cheaper than Model Master's thinner and dries within minutes. The only downside, is that it smells a lot stronger than the MM own thinner (which also smells). Lacquer thinner also works excellent with Revell, WEM and Humbrol enamels.

I’ve also tried Revells paint thinner, that gives the same results as MM airbrush thinner.

Also tried Humbrol thinner, but that dissolved the paint, so I didn’t try that again.

David.

Lacquer thinner is a great alternative. You can pay a lot or a little for lacquer thinner.

At one of our favorite modeling sites I read about a product used by a modeler far superior to me. The product is DT885 Reducer by PPG, available at automotive paint stores. Its about $30 a gallon but that's far, far cheaper by the ounce than any of the hobby model paint thinners. This stuff is used for thinning-out automotive paints and its perfect for our hobby enamels and lacquers, providing smooth, fast-drying finishes. A gallon lasts a long time.....unless you are gluing-up/painting-up a model-a-week.

For airbrush cleanup, I use the cheapest lacquer thinner I can find at Home Depot, Wal-Mart or wherever "cheapest" can be found.

Food-for-thought.

Bails-In-Minnesota

Thanks guys I can't seem to find the model masters paint thinner anywhere local hobby shop is always out and I only go once a month at the wrong times so the other brands you guys said will be great expecially since I spend a good amount at Wal-mart and am there all the time Walmarts the devil.

Thanks again

Lacquer thinner is a great alternative. You can pay a lot or a little for lacquer thinner.

At one of our favorite modeling sites I read about a product used by a modeler far superior to me. The product is DT885 Reducer by PPG, available at automotive paint stores. Its about $30 a gallon but that's far, far cheaper by the ounce than any of the hobby model paint thinners. This stuff is used for thinning-out automotive paints and its perfect for our hobby enamels and lacquers, providing smooth, fast-drying finishes. A gallon lasts a long time.....unless you are gluing-up/painting-up a model-a-week.

For airbrush cleanup, I use the cheapest lacquer thinner I can find at Home Depot, Wal-Mart or wherever "cheapest" can be found.

Food-for-thought.

Bails-In-Minnesota

Bails, I've read in your previous post that you used Ditzler Duracryl DTL 876 Lacquer Thinner. Is the DT885 better? Also, you've mentioned you used odorless mineral spirits to clean up. I'm assuming the lacquer thinner does a better job. I haven't had too much luck cleaning up with odorless mineral spirits.

Stacey

Wow, Stacey, what a memory. I used DTL 876 for a number of years then heard that DT 885 Reducer might be better so gave it a try. I find that it is, indeed, better....providing even smoother finishes than the 876. I'll stay with the 885 until something better comes along. Also, I went to lacquer thinner (smelly, it is!) because I feel its superior to mineral spirits for cleaning the airbrush.

The stuff I was using that you refer to is fine, I just feel the new stuff is better.....for me.

When modelers I respect recommend stuff, I often give it a try.

Hang tough.

Blessings.

Bails

Edited by Bails
Wow, Stacey, what a memory. I used DTL 876 for a number of years then heard that DT 885 Reducer might be better so gave it a try. I find that it is, indeed, better....providing even smoother finishes than the 876. I'll stay with the 876 until something better comes along. Also, I went to lacquer thinner (smelly, it is!) because I feel its superior to mineral spirits for cleaning the airbrush.

Memory, shmemory, I was researching thinners and came across some of your posts via the search function. :thumbsup:

I've used a DuPont Automotive Enamel thinner (3812S I think - I'm upstairs and it's downstairs right now) for years. Unfortunately my supplier informs me it won't be available much longer so I'll probably start buying laquer thinner from my local lumber yard. Mineral spirits are my third choice. I've never had any problems using any of the three with MM, Testors (the small bottle), Humbrol or even the few bottles of Pactra paints I have that are still usuable.

Edited by Hawk10