Hi All

I have looked through my decal stash, and I have decided the next build will be a Luftwaffe RF-4E from AG-51 as seen in 1982 at TAM in Javer.

I have to do this as for some strange reason the exhaust was painted red and yellow.

Onto details.

The decals are the AirDoc sheet, 72018, with 173003 stencil sheet. The kit will be the Hasegawa RF-4E kit, once again with quickboost seats. Everything else OOB.

Ted

Progress is slow, due to other commitments, which include longer hours at w**k (apologies for the 4 letter word), model shows next 2 weekends, and rampant bone idleness.

I have done the fuselage, except the photo bay, the wings are now attached, and that's about it. I'll try and get photos up later.

The exhausts have been painted, as I wanted to see how they look, and the seats are done but not fitted.

Thats it for now.

Hi all

Progress so far.

I am always wanting to try out new techniques, and I'd heard about using Tipp-Ex as a filler, so I thought I'd try it.

So far I'm impressed. It drys quickly and rubs down well. The proof of the pudding comes when I squirt some paint at it.

The third shot is the strangly painted exhaust, which I had to try out. Can't wait to see what they look like with the rest of the paint job done.

rf4e_01.jpg

rf4e_02.jpg

rf4e_03.jpg

Ted

The third shot is the strangly painted exhaust, which I had to try out. Can't wait to see what they look like with the rest of the paint job done.

Nice progress, but

whoaaaaaaa Nellie on those cans. Do you have a picture that you can post of that 1:1 airplane? That's like putting a clown nose on Catherine Zeta-Jones!

As for the Tipp-ix, I'm not familiar with that, so I looked it up and found this: If the contents of a Tipp-Ex bottle have been exposed to too much air (for example, if the cap has been unscrewed too long or if the bottle is half-empty and there is air filling the space), the Tipp-Ex becomes thicker, and sometimes even solidifies. To help prevent this, Tipp-Ex released a product called "Tipp-Ex thinner", a few drops of which are mixed with the contents of a bottle of partially dried Tipp-Ex to thin it. This extends the lifetime of a Tipp-Ex bottle.

So where can I get Tipp-ex in the US?

Gene K

Nice progress, but

whoaaaaaaa Nellie on those cans. Do you have a picture that you can post of that 1:1 airplane? That's like putting a clown nose on Catherine Zeta-Jones!

As for the Tipp-ix, I'm not familiar with that, so I looked it up and found this: If the contents of a Tipp-Ex bottle have been exposed to too much air (for example, if the cap has been unscrewed too long or if the bottle is half-empty and there is air filling the space), the Tipp-Ex becomes thicker, and sometimes even solidifies. To help prevent this, Tipp-Ex released a product called "Tipp-Ex thinner", a few drops of which are mixed with the contents of a bottle of partially dried Tipp-Ex to thin it. This extends the lifetime of a Tipp-Ex bottle.

So where can I get Tipp-ex in the US?

Gene K

Picture of this aircraft on 5057 Phantoms here

Tipp-Ex is available in UK in stationary stores, I don't know what it is called in the States, but it would be called something like correction fluid.

It's the stuff found on the screen of a blonde secretarys word processor

I wonder what paint they used and how they kept it from burning off the cans? Interesting idea though and this should look really good (and unique) when done.

I do know they brushed the paint on, and at that time they tended to use what paint they had lying around. Any scheme like this would be short lived in any case.

The Germans do seem to paint bits nobody else does, as can be seen on several of their special schemes.

It's always nice to do something a little different, and this must qualify.

Ted

Sorry about the lack of updates. I am having fun and games with the grey upper surface colour. The paint has a tendency to peel, so I have recoated, and will leave it for a while.

It doesn't help getting no weekends, as it is the model show season over here. The Scottish Nationals at Perth is this weekend, and I have tables booked to show off my Phantoms. I want to do a central theme of BiCentennial aircraft, as I've got a few done now.

If you guys are interested, I'll post up pictures next week.

Ted

Hi All

I managed to get the bird painted at last. She is nearly ready for decals. As this isn't going to be a 5 minute job (I will be adding full stencils), it will be next week sometime when complete.

I will take a couple of models with me to Perth so I can get something done there.

The following photos show the Norm 72 paint scheme, plus those burner cans.

rf4e_05.jpg

rf4e_06.jpg

rf4e_07.jpg

I hope you like this, the scheme is another less than easy one. I'm thinking of Hill Grey 2 for the next one, just for an easy time.

Ted

PS, I'm enjoying looking at all your builds, keep up the good work.

I spent a very enjoyable weekend at the Scottish National model show in Perth. While I was there, I managed to find time to decal the Phantom up.

There were a lot of them.

Here's some shots of the progress.

rf4e_08.jpg

rf4e_09.jpg

The next stage is to matt the finish, and a bit of weathering. Then the dangly bits, and that should be it.

Incidentally, I managed to pick up a conversion set for the AEW Nimrod, a great set.

Ted

I have finished this build now. I was wanting to post pictures in here and the completed build topic, but all the controls have disappeared, so I cannot show you what I have done.

If anyone knows what has happened, I would be curious to know.

EDIT

I now seem to have the normal controls back. I really am curious to know what happened, but it doesn't really matter.

Onto the photos.

rf4e_10.jpg

rf4e_11.jpg

rf4e_12.jpg

rf4e_13.jpg

rf4e_14.jpg

rf4e_15.jpg

I hope you enjoy them.

The next build as promised will be one of Diego's from his latest sheet. I have decided to do an F-4D from Iran.

Thanks for all the comments you guys have made, it helps my morale quite a bit.

Ted

Edited by Rhino53