And with Diego's (Hi-Decal Line) decals (sheet 72-055) applied. These are really nice - they're extremely thin and went on well with only a little decal setting solution. Next step will be to add the stencils...

F-4D%2066-7751%20-%20Chris%20St%20Clair%2025.jpg

F-4D%2066-7751%20-%20Chris%20St%20Clair%2026.jpg

F-4D%2066-7751%20-%20Chris%20St%20Clair%2027.jpg

Great results!

Many thanks for using our decals!

Chris, please don't forget to trim the checkerband end a little bit to conform with the sensor outline (as on the original shot)

The checkerboard has been made a little longer to adapt to the different kits...

The red triangles, yellow arrow and some stencils will give this plane a "final touch"!

Cheers

Diego

Edited by Diego

Glad you reminded me - I assumed it was MEANT to be that long!!

I'm going to use one of the Xtradecal sheets for the stencils - mainly because I have 3 in stock...

Glad you reminded me - I assumed it was MEANT to be that long!!

I'm going to use one of the Xtradecal sheets for the stencils - mainly because I have 3 in stock...

Well, the band should be that long, only the curved line of the tail sensor should be trimmed, the upper checkers ending on the antenna limit!

Impressive work Chris. You've really helped me visualise this scheme (said the blind man to the dog..... it would be embarrassing if after all your effort I couldn't visualise it). Great freehand work with the airbrush. Diego's decals certainly look the business.

Andrew.

Right... more progress - the stencils are on. I've gone with the "less is more" approach here, as the pic of the real a/c doesn't show that many.

I've also resprayed the nose, but will have to fill, sand and repaint as it seems to have split for some reason...

The fin cap still needs the checks tidying up...

F-4D%2066-7751%20-%20Chris%20St%20Clair%2028.jpg

F-4D%2066-7751%20-%20Chris%20St%20Clair%2029.jpg

Edited by UKPonchoMan

Wooooow...you know Ponchoman I'm really startin to love those "artic-mooo" scheme!

Your makin me discover a very nice camo which I never thought of!

You are doing a fantastic job,considering also it is a 72nd scale!!!

Great great great

Cheers

:tumble:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's taken a while, but at last some progress... Matt varnish is now on (I used Xtracrylix Matt as I was out of Polly Scale. Not too happy with it - after 2 coats it's still slightly shiny...)

F-4D%2066-7751%20-%20Chris%20St%20Clair%2030.jpg

F-4D%2066-7751%20-%20Chris%20St%20Clair%2031.jpg

F-4D%2066-7751%20-%20Chris%20St%20Clair%2032.jpg

I'm lik'n the looks of this. That camo with the black markings sure looks cool.

You Brits are turning out some stellar Phantom builds and this one is no exception.

Nicely done! :worship:

Mark

Well - according to Diego's instructions, it should be satin. But Frank McCurdy's photo in the Schiffer ANG/AFRES book looks matt to me...

Hi Chris,

Well, the "Flipper" scheme should indeed have a "deep matt" finish (just like the "Hill Grey One" camo). Only the "Cloud Grey" and "Hill Two" have a satin gloss finish...

Please look at the upperright corner of page 2 of the instruction sheet under "color notes"...

Anyway, your F-4D looks simply awesome! :worship: Hope to see it finished soon! :cheers:

Cheers

Diego

Thanks Diego!

I'm sorry it's taking so long - I'm working away from home most of the time at the moment and just don't have time to do much of anything... I'll try and get some more done this coming weekend...

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's been a while since I last posted... However, I have moved things on a little... The undercarriage is fitted, as are the pylons and underwing tanks! Just need to do the detail painting and add the seats and canopies...

F-4D%2066-7751%20-%20Chris%20St%20Clair%2038.jpg

F-4D%2066-7751%20-%20Chris%20St%20Clair%2039.jpg

F-4D%2066-7751%20-%20Chris%20St%20Clair%2040.jpg