Oh I´m Having a ball Jens :)

That´s some really good hints there......and my Viggie have a HUD, so I suppose it´s an early bird. To tell the truth...that´s some scary stuff you´ve done to your Viggie!! Feeling the coldswet breake out

Do you have any pics of your build and perhaps some WIP pics? that would be very helpful :pray:

It´s been hard to find really good refs to this and most things under the RIOs canopy is a mystery to me.

:woot.gif:

Sorry, i dont have any WIP pics. But I'm far from finishing the Vigi!! There is hope.....

In my opinion the "Naval Fighter" book from Ginter and the "Aerofax Minigraph" publication are good reference sources! In one of the books there is a good picture of the RIO's canopy! There is also an very interesting article in "Replic" (french magazine) with a nicely build Vigi!! I have to check this another time!

Sorry!! It's going to be hard days of work for me, so i have to switch-off that time consuming thing.......

Cheers, Jens

<...> Btw..that link didn´t work for me, Chernaya :woot.gif: <...>

How about THIS ONE? This link should take you directly to the brace set on the Nautilus Models homepage. The earlier link was to review on Hyperscale. Just go to Hyperscale.com, click "Reviews" and search for "internal brace". That should do the trick.

I actually used the original cans with the brace . also i painted the brace black after installing it in one side of fuselage . Be very careful when taking out the "O" peices at rear as the brace is pretty thin and flimsy afterwards . Also test fit cans into the holes to make sure enough is taken out . The actual brace is plywood . I used epoxy to glue in ,also sand all the edges flat as they form a "point" .This is due to the punch they used to cut the brace out of the ply .

Oh yeah Chernaya..that´s the one I was oogling at sprue brothers.....

Just need to wait for payday so I can order it :salute:

Thanx for the hints Chris, but what to do if I want to build airducts to the engine? any thoughts?....tho it´s a bit early to really tell since I don´t have the airducts and I don´t have the bracing set :cheers:

I´ve got time for a little update before I go to work...

On the agenda for today is the front wheelbay... thought I´d detail it a bit :cheers:

First off I put in a frame around the pit in the middle of the bay, oh that evergreen plasticard....so useful

DSC00838.jpg

Then I put in an actuator arm for the wheelbay door, made from plastic tubing with a piece of piano wire stuck into it. And some general tubing....it´s at least correctish judging from the refs I´ve got. Only thing really to comment is that piano wire isn´t the greatest material for tubing...but that was all I had except for some cupper and some other stuff. Well Someday I´ll get some better tubing material...like soldering wire or such.

Of course my camera started acting up so the pics aren´t the greatest but with a little good will and squinting you´ll see what it shows :thumbsup:

DSC00841.jpg

Another angle..

DSC00842.jpg

And then the other side..... made the locking mecanism from plasticard as well, and the usual tubing

DSC00844.jpg

DSC00845.jpg

That wheelbay detailing is addictive you know....you start and then you don´t wanna finish! Good thing there´s 2 more wheelbays to detail....not to mention the struts themselfs

Well that´s it for today! thanx for looking!

Edited by Aigore

you may have enough room . i cant remember , i dont take W.I.P pics . from memory i believe there is 1 1/2" from the forward part of the brace to the intakes .. but wait until u get the brace 1st . I did make my own brace using the original brace set as a guide and then modifying and made out of thick plasticard

Yeah...I agree, it´s better to have the stuff infront of me on the building table before I start speculating about how I want what in who and why!

You´re a wise man Chris :huh:

Tremendous enjoyable "in progress" article !!! Keep up the good work. Progress sofar look's realy great & I'm anxious to see all the stuff that's still to come. Sure would like to hear what You think of the braces. I've read about them on several sites & I'm realy curious if they are actualy that important...

As for the "two legged morale booster" part:

Sorry dude, have to disappoint You again..... I happen to be an 1/48 four legged Camel that learned to speak & write. And "no", I'm not going to pose in front of Your beautiful Hunter !!!!!

On a more serious note: thanx for the compliment. It isn't realy that hard though, when watching such beautifull work.

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

P.S.: thanx for the additional info on the cyano.

I agree Chris, there´s just a big empty space in the fuselage from the tail to the all the way to the cockpit...and that won´t do, since the Viggies got an all flat upper and underside...you simply can´t align the body halves without some sort of bracing! either that bracing set or you´ll have to do it yourself!

Since I´m such a rich and lazy guy I´ll simply order the bracing set......easier that way, even if the set has to come all the way from the states.

But I have to say that I liked sprue brothers.....I ordered some Kuwaiti F-18 decals and they arrived here within 5 days from ordering and that witt ordinary US postal serice!....they sent my order 30 minutes after I made it!! Now that´s speed for you!!

Oh but spooky, you´d look great in a leopard bikini sprawled on the left wing of the Hunter!!! :coolio: That would be some camel huh?

:coolio:

I agree Chris, there´s just a big empty space in the fuselage from the tail to the all the way to the cockpit...and that won´t do, since the Viggies got an all flat upper and underside...you simply can´t align the body halves without some sort of bracing! either that bracing set or you´ll have to do it yourself!

Since I´m such a rich and lazy guy I´ll simply order the bracing set......easier that way, even if the set has to come all the way from the states.

But I have to say that I liked sprue brothers.....I ordered some Kuwaiti F-18 decals and they arrived here within 5 days from ordering and that witt ordinary US postal serice!....they sent my order 30 minutes after I made it!! Now that´s speed for you!!

Oh but spooky, you´d look great in a leopard bikini sprawled on the left wing of the Hunter!!! :coolio: That would be some camel huh?

:coolio:

Darn, how I hate o disappoint You again !!!

1) I do happen to have an extremely arousing leopard bikini somewhere...

2) I do happen to look extremely sexy in it...

3) I would even look more sexy in it, sprawled on the left wing of Your marvelous Hunter...

4) Unfortunately..........

The top-part no longer fit's my "hump's" after my cosmic surgery.... (or was it the bottom-part, due to my beerbelly......"burp".)

So much for the comedy-factory. Now hush, hush; back to work my friend. Te waiting is driving my mad !!! ;-)

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

P.S.: Chris UK & Aigore; thank's for the info on the braces. I indeed read about that problem on the net, however: wouldn't it be possible to cut some thick pastic-sheet into a couple of "I"-shapes. That way the top & bottom of the "I" would support the right & left sides of the fuselage top-side & bottom-side, and the vertical part of the "I" would sustain the desired distance between top-& bottom. (make any sense?) Most certainly ought to be a cheaper sulution...

The brace is NOT flat .. it is contoured . It fits inside both halves . I did have a scan ( life size) but i deleted it ages ago as i thought no one was building these planes . For the sake of $10 or so .. dont scrimp .. buy it . I had to order mine from states . it arrived in 7 days

Sure, cheaper yes......but oh so much work LOL Told ya I´m lazy!!

But sure, plasticard is useful and cheap next to that set....but $12-13 for a set is perfectly alright to me ( freight included )

The brace is NOT flat .. it is contoured . It fits inside both halves . I did have a scan ( life size) but i deleted it ages ago as i thought no one was building these planes . For the sake of $10 or so .. dont scrimp .. buy it . I had to order mine from states . it arrived in 7 days

Thanx for the additional info Chris.

By the way: nice collection You have there. Just a small word of advise: try to prevent "backlighting" while taking the pictures (try to keep the sunlight coming from behind You). That way the pic's will come out even better.

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

P.S.: Handing it back to You again, Aigore...

Well whaddya know...it´s an update!

After doing the frontwheelbay it´s now time for the maingearwells.

It started out promising, followed some really good pics for refs and everything seemed fine! ......that until I had another look at the pics and realized I had confused up with down! :D 3 hours of work down the drain!

I can only blame it on low bloodsugar since I hadn´t had any breakfast yet!..it looks good...but it´s totally wrong!

DSC00848.jpg

This is what it´s supposed to look like

DSC00849.jpg

I left out the piano wire this time...eek that´s way to hard to work with. The wires that stick out are supposed to go to the struts and actuators. It´s likely I have to finish off all the struts as well before assembying them in the body.....gonna be some tricky masking later on but oh well I´m a patient man....just a bit lazy!

DSC00850.jpg

Another angle...

DSC00851.jpg

Well looking good so far....later I´m going to put the struts in and detail them as well.....then I suppose I have to come to grips with the cockpit at some point...and some painting as well :popcorn:

Thanx for looking ppl :)...there might be an update later tonight...then it´ll have to wait ´til next week, working nights this weekend :(

Well Aigore,I was askin to myself..."strange,no more updates from Janne?!?" LOL LOL

I goooot it!and it is a great update even if it is wrong...didn understand what's upside down but i trust you cause you know it...from a ignorant though,that's a perfect detailing job!!!

Great work dude,as always :(

Cheers

:D

Dude, yer fast on catching the updates....got a bell? :(

Thanx Jack, and well I´m obviously not capable of telling up from down in all instances :D

but all´s well that ends well....wheel well :)

Nah, no color yet, sorry, but I´m almost done with doing the tubing around the struts!.....so that´ll be a small update later tonight at least :thumbsup:

Addictive stuff this.....tubing I mean

Well...ok...I forgive you!lets see the tubes and then,someday...one day in the future some colours :coolio::rofl: :rofl:

Just kiddin dude...every update is a "nice-date" a really lookin forward to that!!!

Cheers and so,good work on the struts!!!

:thumbsup:

No troubble with up or down this time.....and it´s not really much to comment

Lots of drilling and putting in copper wire..... ;)

This is how the nosegear strut came out....

DSC00852.jpg

DSC00853.jpg

DSC00854.jpg

And this is the maingear struts.....a bit fiddly

DSC00855.jpg

ended up like this...

DSC00856.jpg

DSC00857.jpg

DSC00858.jpg

So that´s the last update for this weekend :(

But there´ll be more fun stuff next week......time for the cockpit and there might be some paint involved...... :worship:

Thanx for looking :banana: