The mighty Herk - 1/72 Airfix C-130

Back from the contest. Was it fun? Of course it was!

Did I become inspired? Oh yes!

Did I buy anything? Ehrm....yes...... Some accessories, a few sets of decals (Spitfire and Draken ;) ), a few kits......

Carpetmonster : "A few kits?!!"

Eh, you know....some cheap discount sets. Nothing in particurlar, and they were reaaly cheap...yeah almost no money at all :D

Carpetmonster: "LIKE?!!!"

Ah, yeah like a pair of Hobby Boss items and some.....Roden....

Carpetmonster: "Uhu, Roden you say..... :) "

It was a bargain...... :unsure:

Carpetmonster: "Is there something you want to confess?"

OK OK, please don't hit me!!!! I confess!!!

It was just sitting there looking at me with an innocent red pricetag..... I just couldn't resist!

20081026_02.jpg

Seriously, at EUR 11 who could resist such a beast? Same guy also had the Felixtowe and the Curtiss flyingboat for EUR 10 each, but I realized that we already have one Madman on this forum.....

Edited by Lansen

WOW! None of the hobby contests I go to have things for purchase! I would love to go and get models and decals, and accessories for next to nothing! Awesome! Keep the updates on your Hurcules coming, looking at this one with interest!

Stuck at home with a cold the past two days. Thank you so much for your comments everyone, made me feel a lot better :thumbsup: Not quite ready for an update yet, but I promise to have something ready by the weekend. Some interior work to be specific.

That´s really a good price! I think even I would have bought that, even though I have 6 completed C-130s at home and another one waiting...

Yup, some offers ar just too good to turn down. And it seems I have developed some sort of fascinasion for large transport aircraft lately...

Wow! Seven C-130s?!! I admire your courage! Have you posted them to the ARC gallery by any chance? :)

As a Kiwi I'm dissapointed you're not building the awesome RNZAF bird ...okay I kid. Great job so far.

You never know whats lurking around the corner. I have an affection for Kiwi aircraft too and would like to build something modern someday.

BTW... Just recieved a phonecall from one of my modelling companions, it seems we've got the go from our local air museum to put on a display about the Congo crisis. I guess you can expect a C-130B and some C-119 builds in a near future. :popcorn:

Take care!

Per

Edited by Lansen
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! Time for another update, especially for Neil :D The build is going well although I've been busy elsewhere lately. That Congo exhibition we're working on stole my attention, sort of speak...

Finally finished the starboard fuselage half. I've learned my lessons from the first one and built a more solid structure for the wheelbays and inner walls. It proved a success, only a minimum amount of filler was needed this time. The finish may appear a bit rough but it's not that picky since the fuselage insulation padding will cover everything.

20081114_1080.jpg

Not too pleased with the emergency exit though... The part was thin as a leaf and looks out of place when fitted. I added some styrene to the inside but it isn't enough, it's gonna take another 0,5 mm of plastic to even out (using the clear window insert as a guide). Shame on you Italeri :cheers:

Allright then, both fuselage halves are now ready to recieve some actual detail and transform from clean and boring pieces of plastic into cluttered incarnations of a real aircraft.

The real thing....

TP84-97.jpg

TP84-75.jpg

TP84-96.jpg

TP84-108.jpg

...and the kit.

20081114_1081.jpg

I've done some basic sketching of where the basic structure will go. There's some "add and remove" issues since some areas are near smooth while some spars are practically solid bulkheads. Some will go beneath the insulation while others will be fully visible, which calls for careful planning (or you will end up with arms and legs crossed and a one way ticket to your local madhouse). Those markings on the wheel well are basic meassurments for the wing spar.

Meanwhile, let's take a look at the floor:

20081109_1085.jpg

This part need some major rebuild to resemble an actual C-130 floor. Using the sponsons by Ron's Resins requires som triming of the starboard section, as marked in the picture. And, of course, with a PE floor in mind we'd better remove all that raised stuff, don't forget to sand away the gun mounts for the AC-130! A Micro Chisel comes handy for this type of work.

After a bit of scraping and sanding....

20081114_1082.jpg

Step two is to construct new "thresholds". I've already made a little to the rearmost part, just to check how they will look when the floor is fitted inside the fuselage. Probably have to redo those later, but more on that in another update...

Saturday evening folks! Have a great weekend and stay tuned for another update soon :taunt:

'Til then

:thumbsup:

Good luck Neil, I'm looking forward to see the results ;) RAF bird maybe?

Engines:

I'm using the Flightpath set with kit props and probably home made cowl flaps.

• 2 weeks later...

Back again with another quickie updatade!

Question: What do you get when you join three pieces of sheet styrene?

Answer: A neat little stool for 1/16 scale soldiers seated for afternoon tea...

....or a hive for unusually small pet rabbits....

.....or...

....the basic shape of the wing beam box of a 1/72 scale C-130! Now, you guess which one I went for ;)

20081119_1092.jpg

Insides strengthened to maintan shape and allow for some misstreatment....

20081119_1091.jpg

Allright! This is just the beginning, as this dead piece of plastic is to recieve a lot more structure and detail befoer we can put it into place. As a mather of fact, it's the very first piece of detail I'll do for the cargo hold. The reason I'm doing this part right now is that the "height" of the ceiling structure must be decided before I can make anything further to the cabin walls.

A little teaser of what I have in mind:

TP84-120.jpg

More to come...

• 2 weeks later...

My friends, I have something to announce:

Santa Claus is Czech and he dropped a package full of Eduard on my doorstep today! Can't wait to unwrap the contenst and check the parts ;) Nope, I'm not gonna wait until Christmas.....

20081218_1146.jpg

Edited by Lansen
  • 1 month later...

The Herc is still alive, but's been advancing slowly for some time since I've been occupied elsewhere lately - i.e. Christmas, "family buissness" and parties.....plus a nasty cold that kept me in bed for a week with a little extra twist of another cold following the first one.....

Been building some still, a whole bunch of models for an exhibition; a display about the Congo crisis that will (hopefully) open this summer at the museum where I work from time to time (that's Ängelholm Air Museum, at the former 10th AF Wing base in case you'd like to know ). I may get back to you with some snaps once I've finished a few more ;)

There have been some progress on the Herc in the past few days though. A small update is to expect tomorrow, this time we're looking at some photoetched stuff....

Take care!

Per

Fitting of the new floor!

Eduard's etched parts are a vast improvment wich really brings the floor to life. I wasnt' all that happy about them splitting the parts up in two but it turned out to fit pretty well anyway.

Parts glued and clamped, using a piece of thich styrene to even out the pressure. Left to cure overnight.

_1206094.jpg

The result:

_1206100.jpg

Oops! Got a tiny gap between the sections.... Probably should have used an extra clamp here. A little filler and sanding took care of the most obvious glitches but they will be more or less out of sight once fitted inside the cabin so it's not that bad.

_1206102.jpg

We're not quite done here yet, still need to widen the side pieces (or thresholds if you like) and add some detail :woot.gif:

Wow Lansen, your herk is coming along very nice. I like the look of the floor with that PE set. I hoping to get the same set soon. Hopefully, I'll get lucky and find the Flightpath set as well. Keep up the good work!!

Mike

Hello lansen,your tp84 is looking great.I have been looking at the floor moldings on my kits and i think that the curb panels that run down the edges of the floor look to deep.They are about 4 inches deep on the real aircraft so i am contemplating what to do with them.Does anyone know what 4'' is in 1/72 scale.Great stuff lansen,cant wait for your next update.........Neil

Thank you! :)

Mike: I bought mine straight from the scource: Flightpath website Can only recomend it, they are great to deal with! Good luck with your build :(

Neil: You're absolutely right that they seem deep. Too deep! Not sure what can be done, except for shaving of the top layer of plastic. Or you could rebuild them from scratch but I wonder what that will do for the overall fit of the floor section. On the other hand they don't look too bad once you've tucked the floor into the fuselage, maybe sanding down the area behind the wheelbay will do the trick?

Cheers!

Per

An illustration for those who wonder what the heck Neil and me are talking about :(

TP84-76.jpg

TP84-93.jpg

If the actuall height (thanks for the info Neil, I've never checked it myself) is 4 inches, that makes about 10-11 cm. That's roughly 1-1,5 mm in 1/72 scale, compared with the knee deep stuff on the kit parts. OK, something need to be done!

Point taken :D Not the best photos to illustrate the subject but it really was the curbs I was thinking of, not the conveyor system. They're included on the etched sheet BTW...

Another thing worth taking notice on is that the curbs are too narrow on the kit, making the floor itself too wide. About 1,5 mm should be added to the curbs on each side to adjust the width, why not add sideguards to the ramp too while you're at it...

This is getting serious :worship: