I'd originally planned on doing 1 from JG 54 & 1 from JG 2. Sorry Assi, the allure of the Grün Herz was too strong.

jg54.jpg

The belts are FineMolds German Seatbelts #2. Both kits are FineMolds. Both will be in winter dress.

I'd better turn and burn to get these done.

It's really hard not to build this kit quickly. It's such a nicely engineered kit. Everything just clicks together. Besides which, these are the 6th and 7th FM 109's I've built. I think I've got the little niggles figured out.

jg54-2.jpg

jg54-3.jpg

Paints used are Mr. Color lacquers, which also adds to building quickly. These dry as fast as acrylics and are much tougher paints. Paint mixes are the same for each kit. The only difference is that the camouflage was freehanded on one and masked on the other. Just trying to give them a slightly different look. I wasn't too bothered on getting the mottling as clean as I like as this will be mostly covered by the white wash.

These will be gloss coated later today. Then some of the decals applied before applying the white wash.

More later.

Some stickers on. More will be added after the whitewash. I'm going on photos here. Some of the markings looked to be masked, some repainted, and some oversprayed to varying degress.

jg54-4.jpg

Next, a bit of a panel line wash, then the whitewash. Hoping to finish by Friday.

Small update here.

jg54-4-1.jpg

jg54-5.jpg

This one has the white coat added and the remaining decals. It's had a couple of glace coats, some chipping, sanding, and another very light white coat for mostly touch ups.

jg54-6.jpg

Getting ready to add a few more decals, then it will get the major white coat, glaces, and a bit of weathering.

I think they are coming together. Still looking to finish by Friday, but it might be close.

Hi

These two Friedrich are fantastic !

You are faster than the Wehrmacht as you started your own Barbarossa on June 21st and now you already are in Winter !! :thumbsup:

Regards.

Patrick

VG-33 - funny comment.

Thanks you all for the encouragement.

Yellow 6 is just about finished. <II is almost at the same stage.

jg54-7.jpg

jg54-8.jpg

The wheels are just stuck on. Still needs exhausts and the prop. It also needs the pitot; still have to make that. The trickiest thing about the FM 109 is adding the antenna mast. The gluing surface is just too small to give it a secure bite.

Sure these have been quick builds, but like I said earlier, this kit falls together. It really is a jewel and really building 2 kits is almost as fast as building one, especially if they are the same basic scheme.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by johnsan

Rather beat up, eh?

Quick status. Both are just about done, requiring only pitot tubes and antenna.

I'm off for a weekend trip, so these will have to be finished up Monday. Photos then. No worries, though. They are that close.

And done!

jg54-9-1.jpg

jg54-13.jpg

jg54-12.jpg

jg54-10.jpg

jg54-11.jpg

FineMolds packs a lot of fun into their 109 boxes. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be doing a few more of these. Thanks for looking and thanks for your comments.

And done!

FineMolds packs a lot of fun into their 109 boxes. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be doing a few more of these. Thanks for looking and thanks for your comments.

Just perfect !

Nevertheless the Finemolds 109 muste be nice as the price is greater than many other 109!!

Patrick

Just perfect !

Nevertheless the Finemolds 109 muste be nice as the price is greater than many other 109!!

Patrick

Thanks Patrick, Rick.

Yeah, the FM 109 is priced a bit high. But prices are pretty relative depending on where you live. Here in Japan, I can pick one up for about Â¥1950, about 10% off FM list whereas an RoG Hunter Mk 9 or MiG 21F runs about Â¥3000. I love Revell's MiG and really like their Hunter Mk 6s that I used to buy in Germany for about €10, but I can't justify the higher price of the Mk 9 or just about any other Revell kit here.

As to the quality of FM's 109, the shape is about spot on and it has the best shaped spinner of any injected 109 kit in any scale. The prop blades themselves are a tiny bit off, but nothing I am not prepared to live with or even be bothered to reshape with a sanding stick. As to detail differences between versions, FM provides F wings & fuselages for F models, G fuselages and wings for G models, and so on. Don't believe the Modeling Madness reviews that claim a single bottom wing is provided for all kits; simply not true. Depending on the version of kit purchased, you will find extra wheels, tailplanes, rudders, props, and even canopies. So you will have much in the way of well shaped parts to spice up problems with those Academy, Hasegawa, Italeri, and Revell 109s that may be lurking in your stash. On top of this, the decals in kits are well printed with decent color and they behave well.

But whether they provide value for money is an individual decision. For me, at the price I can get them, I consider them worth getting. In any case, I find them very fun to build.

Edited by johnsan

Beauties, John!

I'll second John's comments on the FineMolds 109's. They are a little pricier, but you get what you pay for. John was kind enough to show me around Akihabra last year so I'm able to score them for a reasonable price when I go there on business. Considering the MSRP on a Hasegawa is around $14, $18-19 for a FineMolds purchased in Japan is a no-brainer. I've got about 75 in the stash! :(

Yeah, the FM 109 is priced a bit high. But prices are pretty relative depending on where you live. Here in Japan, I can pick one up for about ¥1950,

In France in my Local hobby shop it is near 30 Euros (5000 Yens) for an FM 109 and this is not the same song to make a Geschwader !

Anyway I have already bought 3 109F and 1 109K. Sometimes I can find sales...

Patrick