Need C-17 drawings for correcting Anigrand kit

If you have the kit, then the decal placement instruction sheet profile and plan views are the right shape. All you have to do is enlarge them to 1/72 scale. As I recall they are scaled at 1/288. I have enlarged them and they look pretty good.

Why they included correct scale plans for decal placement and did not use them when they put the kit together is beyond me!

I'll never understand how they missed the wheel bay extension on the one side....they had it right on the 1/144 scale version they built.

The 1/144 kit came after the 1/72 and they managed to fix most of the stuff ups on the 1/72. At least they learnt from their mistakes in this case. Doesn't help those who bought the 1/72 kit though :thumbsup:

Does this help? It was done from the maintenance manual stuff. The windshield is identical to a DC-10/MD-11. In fact, the part number for the windshield frame forging is the same as on the original 1972 DC-10 prototype! Image is 1/72.

J

C-17.jpg

I really can't until I'm cleared by Revell to do so. However, you can go to the Braz Models web site and see the actual CAD drawings used to make the kit. He worked from the same documentation that I did. Also, you simply can't beat photos of the real thing. Try www.airliners.net and search on "C-17" for thousands of C-17 pics...

J

Hi,

I am currently in possession of a set of drawings of the C-17 but unfortunately not in a position to copy or pass on anything from them without permission from their owner, my friend Steve, who kindly let me borrow them so I can complete my 1/72 Combat Models vacuform kit. I can say that the origin of these drawings are from McDonnell Douglas and out of curiosity I printed off Jennings nose profile to compare with what I have and it does match practically exactly. Now that I have two sources of the nose profile I can confidently say the model when I've finished should be more like a proper C-17 as the set of drawings I have is full of section views of just about everything that would be needed, main u/c sponsons, engines, wing airfoils etc.

Cheers,

Robert

Hi,

I am currently in possession of a set of drawings of the C-17 but unfortunately not in a position to copy or pass on anything from them without permission from their owner, my friend Steve, who kindly let me borrow them so I can complete my 1/72 Combat Models vacuform kit. I can say that the origin of these drawings are from McDonnell Douglas and out of curiosity I printed off Jennings nose profile to compare with what I have and it does match practically exactly. Now that I have two sources of the nose profile I can confidently say the model when I've finished should be more like a proper C-17 as the set of drawings I have is full of section views of just about everything that would be needed, main u/c sponsons, engines, wing airfoils etc.

Cheers,

Robert

I'm guessing you probably have the MDD model drawings. If that's so, just note that those were done before any hardware existed, so they're not representative of a production airplane in many respects. The basic shapes of the airframe are ok, but details are not. As far as airfoils, has *anyone* ever criticized a model because it had a NACA 12-7B instead of a NACA 14-22E?

J

As I don't know which airfoil is drawn anyway (not labelled), I doesn't worry me which one it is, it's just that there's something there which I can then make some ribs so the plastic will have some shape to it, the Combat Models vacuform being of very thin styrene for the size of the model. Same with the engine nacelles, they don't appear to be dead round. As to when the drawings were done I couldn't say either, but the CM kit seems to follow it quite well from what I've checked so far. I'm planning on building the model later this year along with a 1/72 CC-150 of Transport Wings.

Edit: Just found the drawings from where I had them stored for safe keeping and had a look at them. The title block on the drawings say - 'The Douglas Aircraft Company'

Edited by kitnut617
Does this help? It was done from the maintenance manual stuff. The windshield is identical to a DC-10/MD-11. In fact, the part number for the windshield frame forging is the same as on the original 1972 DC-10 prototype! Image is 1/72.J
IIRC, The YC-15 used the same parts as well!

Jennings, would it be possible to post the same section, except a top or bottom view? If not now, perhaps after the Revell release? This is where Anigrand really missed the boat, making the fuselage side taper forward of the cargo box more of an ogive (or something...). That set them up for the rediculous "Seaview" styled windshield that they provided in the 1/72nd kit. Arrrrgh! :thumbsup:

GCA333, whether it's a good or bad kit depends on how fussy you are. If you have detail and shape OCD, there are some real problem areas. On the other hand, it does look a lot like a C-17, and it's the only game in town in this scale unless you want to go vacuform. It really depends on you.

• 2 weeks later...
http://combatmodels.us/

It's vaccuform, but from what I have seen so far, its a pretty good company. I am about to order the F-106 in 1/32

Ric

Having owned the Combat Models C-17 I can tell you it has the same shape issues around the nose that the Anigrand has. perhaps Anigrand used this a basis for their kit? This is shear speculation on my behalf.