Evenin`

The `Project` is back on track. (Hoorah!)

A master rack has been successfully moulded (at last!), and the nosecones have been moulded (at last!).

Odds and ends have been going onto The Ra`am and it is getting close to spraying with primer.

12.jpg

Cheers all, :)

Ian

Evenin` all :wave:

More detail work on The Ra`am. I had to remove and re-attach the canopy when I found plastic shavings had rolled onto the transparencies, from inside the model, and would not shift, GAH! A basic, but annoying mistake.

I filled the gaps with Humbrol `Clearfix` which has the consistency of porridge. It is a clumsy substance to put on, but when it dries, you can remove exactly what you want, sealing your canopy, without leaving stains or fear of running glue/paint into the small spaces between canopy and cockpit items.

I just remembered the blade aerial that has to be added just ahead of the canopy, position marked in the pic.

13.jpg

It is hard to see in most pics and is missing in most diagrams and illustrations of The Ra`am but it is there. A small gray aerial that wasn`t there on delivery, but is there now, maybe a landing aid or IFF attachment? The GPS reciever is starboard of the airbrake so it isn`t that. The Ra`am has a wide range of indegenous comms systems...er...I`m guessing now.

Anyhoo, almost ready for primer, ordnance coming along nicely also.

Cheers, :cheers:

Ian

Boy Ian, this is better than Days of our lives!

You are making great progress, nice to see your special project has not beat you!

Ray :cheers:

Very nice job!!!!!

Keep it up!

Very much appreciated guys, thank you :deadhorse1:

Just prior to the last gentle rub-down before spraying (the kit that is), I found more was required.

Comments below pic;

14.jpg

1- The two small blades between the two larger ones must be removed as well as the small one behind the forward gear well.

2- Two small sensors in the shape of an upside down `L` shape must be added here P/S.

3- Scratchbuilt arrestor hook added.

The vanilla coloured resin parts are Isra items that are just as easily made from plastic rod or card. A bit of filler added to the kit doors and sanded to shape can simulate the `bulged` main gear doors. The coffin shape aft of the forward gear is the ejector of gun ammo cases. The airscoops and the expendables boxes on the tail boom are quite nicely executed though.

Every time I consult the superb Isra walkaround book on The Ra`am, I find something else that needs doing.

I may now be ready for primer, but don`t bet the house on it!

Cheers all :coolio:

Ian

WOW Ian :deadhorse1:

I bet you could get a job at IAI any minute.

You're doing a great job on this bird, and I so like it that it's back on track again.

I'm saving your pics on this (I think you known that already) for when I get to my Revell F-15E and Wolfpack Ra'am conversion going.

I also have the Isra conversion and is thinking about building them side by side, Hhhhhmmmmm.......thats a thought?

But I just have to get my hands on a pair of GBU-28 Deep Throat (in 1/48) before I start of.

I'm thinking of building myself a strike package, going in a southernly direction............

Say 4 Barak's loaded Low CAP, 4 Imp Baz loaded High CAP,1 Imp Baz loaded of Recce, 4 Sufa loaded with Deliahs for deception and/or strike, and 2 Ra'am loaded with GBU-28's and 2 more Ra'am with Popeyes......and thats just the first wave. :cheers:

As said before, Great job.

Looking forward to see more.

Best Regards

Bosse from Sweden

I'm saving your pics on this (I think you known that already) for when I get to my Revell F-15E and Wolfpack Ra'am conversion going.

I'm thinking of building myself a strike package, going in a southernly direction............

Say 4 Barak's loaded Low CAP, 4 Imp Baz loaded High CAP,1 Imp Baz loaded of Recce, 4 Sufa loaded with Deliahs for deception and/or strike, and 2 Ra'am loaded with GBU-28's and 2 more Ra'am with Popeyes......and thats just the first wave. :thumbsup:

Happy to help Bosse, and I look forward to seeing your formidable line-up.

Things went well tonight, and the primer went on without drama, and revealed very few blemishes. So-much-so that I began prepping Paragon Designs Python 4/5 AAM. They needed straightened a bit and I filled some minor flaws with superglue, but this doesn`t detract from what is a very nice product from Paragon. Very nice and crisp detail, and at a reasonable price.

15.jpg

Itzhak and Niall examine how much paint I sprayed into the intakes, Huh critics, I did an okay job of painting them! :D

Cheers all, :woot.gif:

Ian

You're doing an amazing job on this project Ian. You really ought to consider editing your posts and compiling them into an article for publication in SAM or some-such modeling journal

I'll echo this statement. This model deserves an article on ARC at the very least.

You're doing an amazing job on this project Ian. You really ought to consider editing your posts and compiling them into an article for publication in SAM or some-such modeling journal
I'll echo this statement. This model deserves an article on ARC at the very least.

I`m really chuffed with the comments guys, thanks! :thumbsup:

However, I`m still not counting any chickens, as my build has been getting interupted by external nuisances the last few days.

Dratted reality, Bah! :)

Some progress to report though. I got some silicone rubber for making moulds and this is finally up to the job, a little too much maybe, as I can see small scratches where I`ve used rough sandpaper on the master replicted in every detail in the mould. WOW, this stuff is good! I`ll be casting four bomb racks presently.

16.jpg

Sixteen `stores are coming together, and a final light dust of primer has shown just a few more areas need a little more attention.

17.jpg

Thanks for looking :D

Cheers, Ian

PS-BE CAREFUL with silicone rubber! I maybe didn`t ventilate the room as well as I should and found my eyes irritated and watering for over two hours after mixing the solution, get in plenty air Folks!!!!

Evenin` :thumbsup:

The engine area, and top sides camo (Humbrol mid-stone #121) painted. The paint was still drying in the pic, that is why some areas seem gloss and some areas matt.

18.jpg

Cheers all, :)

Ian

PS- Almost forgot, because the outer-facing twin tails won`t see any sand color due to the `Eagle` mottif, they were left gray. As were RWR booms at base of tails.

Edited by Ian Buick

Mornin` :cheers:

Things rather gathering pace again with the build.

First off, I added the missile rails the wing pylons. I`m going to fit a Python SRAAM and an AMRAAM on each, so each needs two different kind of launch rails. The AMRAAM has a blunter end to it and the Academy part fits the bill, even though, I suspect, it is suppossed to be an identical Sidewinder rail to the Hasegawa version. Whatever, the Academy fits nicely, even it`s locating pins match the Hasegawa holes........handy!

19.jpg

The `pointy` rail needs to go on the outside facing away from the aircraft to advantage the high off-boresight firing capabilities of Python 4/5, with AMRAAM fitting comfortably on the inside rail.

20.jpg

Brown camo went on without too much fuss.

Cheers all :thumbsup:

Ian

Ian, Ian, I think I cracked the coded to your secret project.

You're arming your Ra'am with GBU-39's ???? :rolleyes:

You have made 16 "things" one for each hardpoint and a quad left over for the centre pylon.?

And since you already shown us the gas bags we already know that stations is occupied.

Am I right ????

If so you're as wicked as I am.

Best Regards

Bosse from Sweden.

Ian, Ian, I think I cracked the coded to your secret project.

You're arming your Ra'am with GBU-39's ???? :cheers:

You have made 16 "things" one for each hardpoint and a quad left over for the centre pylon.?

And since you already shown us the gas bags we already know that stations is occupied.

Am I right ????

If so you're as wicked as I am.

Best Regards

Bosse from Sweden.

AH, Bosse wins!!!!

I`m sticking two quad launchers on on each of the two long CFT pylons, that is why I`ve been trying to cast them so I get four identical items. Then four Small Diameter Bombs on each rack.

et voila...

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/sys...ges/sdb-mm4.jpg

Nice call Bosse :thumbsup:

Cheers, Ian

AH, Bosse wins!!!!

I`m sticking two quad launchers on on each of the two long CFT pylons, that is why I`ve been trying to cast them so I get four identical items. Then four Small Diameter Bombs on each rack.

et voila...

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/sys...ges/sdb-mm4.jpg

Nice call Bosse :thumbsup:

Cheers, Ian

Great choice of ordnance Ian. <_<

Are yours going to be orange also , to indicate some kind of test or other.

If so, is your Ra'am going to be painted up like the one from the "test" sqn. I've forgotten the real designation on that one.

Merry Christmas :santa:

Bosse from Sweden

Its nice to see this bird nearing completion. I'm glad you persevered.
Great choice of ordnance Ian. :bandhead2:

Are yours going to be orange also , to indicate some kind of test or other.

If so, is your Ra'am going to be painted up like the one from the "test" sqn. I've forgotten the real designation on that one.

Merry Christmas :santa:

Bosse from Sweden

Thanks for that guys!

Pale green camo went on tonight, the arrestor hook was painted white, and the tank assemblies were spryed gray.

21.jpg

I almost forgot that a small round vent, just behind the cockpit on the starboard side had to be filled as these don`t appear on Israeli machines.

Bosse, The Israeli Flight Test Center (MANAT) has a single Ra`am #201 that was the first F-15I built and is used for testing.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Israel%20-%...39;am/1185728/M

However, I can`t help myself and am going to do an operational jet, #246, of 69 Squadron who operate all 24 remaining Ra`ams.

http://web1.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id...6000&nseq=3

All the best, and if I don`t see you in The GB Bar, then have a Merry Christmas too!! :D

Cheers all,

Ian

(Very Early) Mornin` :thumbsup:

Hope you all are having a good Xmas.

I know some guys who got into the festive spirit:

22.jpg

I`m sure they`re hanging around the newly fitted `burner cans simply to cook their turkey. (Is there a joke in there about `Turkey Feather` tailpipes perhaps? :wacko: )

Python SRAAM going together also, and I have started moulding SDB racks. Fuel tanks looking ready to go.

Some touch up work required on paintjob. In particular, the AoA sensors either side of the cockpit are ready moulded and are in a lousy place for masking the camo demarcation line, but that`s easily sorted.

Hope you all had/are having a good one!!! :wacko:

(I know I did!)

Cheers, Ian

PAH! New Year, indeed! :worship:

I hope you all had a good one, but my New Year`s modelling has already been thrown by the fact that my camera has gone all Pete Tong. Everything seems OK, just no picture when taking pics. I may get a new one in the next few days.

BAH! BAH! BAH!

As for the Ra`am, it is going better. Bomb racks are casting okay, although the resin mix has to be exactly right ( I mean PERFECT!), the sixteen SDB are nearly ready, I`m doing touch-up paintwork on the Ra`am, as well as nav lights, RWR, etc, etc....I`m not far from weathering, glossing, and decalling. Hope I`m back in visual by then. :thumbsup:

Cheers all :woot.gif:

Ian

PAH! New Year, indeed! :worship:

I hope you all had a good one, but my New Year`s modelling has already been thrown by the fact that my camera has gone all Pete Tong. Everything seems OK, just no picture when taking pics. I may get a new one in the next few days.

BAH! BAH! BAH!

As for the Ra`am, it is going better. Bomb racks are casting okay, although the resin mix has to be exactly right ( I mean PERFECT!), the sixteen SDB are nearly ready, I`m doing touch-up paintwork on the Ra`am, as well as nav lights, RWR, etc, etc....I`m not far from weathering, glossing, and decalling. Hope I`m back in visual by then. :thumbsup:

Cheers all :woot.gif:

Ian

Sorry to here about the camera Ian.

Hope thing works out four you.

Best Regards

Bosse from Sweden

I blame it on those lazy ground-crew men you have hanging about your build area :)

I hope you can get it sorted out soon. One of the bad things about digital cameras is that when they break they BREAK! With my old 35mm, I was able to monkey around with it and fix it on several occasions. When I got sand into the lens retraction mechanisms on my first digital (long story), well that was it for that one. And no repair shop wants to touch it either. What a disposable society we've become. Sad really.

Whoa, sorry, I got a little carried away with myself there.

Sorry to here about the camera Ian.

Hope thing works out four you.

Best Regards

Bosse from Sweden

Thanks Bosse, got a new one today :)

As RKic rightly points out about throw-away culture, it costs as much to repair a digital camera as it does to replace one, so might as well replace it.

I blame it on those lazy ground-crew men you have hanging about your build area :worship:

WORD! Back from their festivities and look what they rocked-up in!

23.jpg

They`re using a Namer HAPC as a taxi!!!! :cheers:

Well, holiday`s over!

The SBDs are coming along nicely, metal work (grills, cannon port etc) touched-up, I think it is time for some weathering.

Cheers all :doh:

Ian