I'm going to Build tamyia's 1/48 mkvb with montex c wing converation, eduard cockpit set and some ultra cast goodies. this is my first post here and 1st GB. Will start in 3 weeks moving house.

P1010001.jpg

P1010002.jpg

regards Rodney.

Edited by rodney.cross
Hi,

That looks like a great project, Rodney. :thumbsup:

I would also like to participate in this GB with a RAAF Mk Vc. A very different project from Rodney's...I'll be building the old Airfix "Mk VC" kit, with barely any aftermarket goodies.

Cheers, Stefan.

Thanks mate. What markings u thinking about doing? I want to do caldwells spit but can't find the markings. Would like to see ur project

regards rodney

Hi,

Mine will also be one of Wing Commander Caldwell's aircraft: JL394 with "CR C" codes.

I want to build a Spitfire that scored a kill in the Southern Hemisphere: he shot down a Dinah in JL394.

I have the Victory Productions sheet. The sheet instructions mention Tally Ho's RAF serial decals as a source for some other serials for Caldwell's Spitfires, like BS234.

Then you'd just have to find white "CR C" codes and a Wing Commander's pennant.

Scheme and codes are said to be nearly identical for JL394 and BS234.

Cheers, Stefan.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, finally moved into me new pad and finished me fw 190. Just like to say love the spits i've looked at so far great inspiration. Did most of the cockpit add a few things, with the photo-etch (bit of a fire fight with it) and some wires. Its up to painting the pit. Just waiting for me new seat from ultra cast, which should be here in a couple of days. Any comments on anything, are more than welcome

thanks for looking

Rodney

P2150032.jpg

P2150036.jpg

P2150038.jpg

P2150039.jpg

Sorry about the pic's

Just finished the cockpit, the quality of the photo's aren't great, new to this sort of thing. Having hard time with the brass, does anybody heat up the colour brass with out destorying the colour? Lets us know what u think of the cockpit.

thanks for Looking

Rodney

P2210048.jpg

P2210049.jpg

P2210050.jpg

P2210051.jpg

P2210052.jpg

P2210056.jpg

P2210057.jpg

P2210058.jpg

P2210059.jpg

Hi,

Mine will also be one of Wing Commander Caldwell's aircraft: JL394 with "CR C" codes.

I want to build a Spitfire that scored a kill in the Southern Hemisphere: he shot down a Dinah in JL394.

I have the Victory Productions sheet. The sheet instructions mention Tally Ho's RAF serial decals as a source for some other serials for Caldwell's Spitfires, like BS234.

Then you'd just have to find white "CR C" codes and a Wing Commander's pennant.

Scheme and codes are said to be nearly identical for JL394 and BS234.

Cheers, Stefan.

Hi Stefan and Rodney,

Rodney I am watching your project with interest. It looks great so far. Just letting you both know though that there is new information that has come to light in relation to Caldwell's Spitfires and that the code CR-C may not have been white as first thought but a light grey. The codes have been compared to the roundel and there is a slight discolouration in the codes which suggests this. Also, but it may not effect you guys as you are doing the Mk. V but the spinner on his Mk. VIII now appears as though the stripes were red not black as first thought. You may need to do a little investigative work on this. i believe there may be something about it on the Modelling Madness website.

Sorry to do this to you

regards

Andrew

Hi Stefan and Rodney,

Rodney I am watching your project with interest. It looks great so far. Just letting you both know though that there is new information that has come to light in relation to Caldwell's Spitfires and that the code CR-C may not have been white as first thought but a light grey. The codes have been compared to the roundel and there is a slight discolouration in the codes which suggests this. Also, but it may not effect you guys as you are doing the Mk. V but the spinner on his Mk. VIII now appears as though the stripes were red not black as first thought. You may need to do a little investigative work on this. i believe there may be something about it on the Modelling Madness website.

Sorry to do this to you

regards

Andrew

Thanks for the kind comments so far mate. Thanks for comments regarding Caldwells mkviii as i've got mkviii to do as well probably not in time for this build.

regards Rodney

Hi,

Great work on the cockpit, Rodney. :salute:

And you're clearly following that up with skillful airframe construction.

Thanks for the info, Andrew.

I'll have a look at MM, I suppose it would be in TC's build-up articles? I was going to go there for colour guidance anyway.

I'm in one of those "jets only" periods now, but I'll surely snap out of that before this GB ends. :whistle:

Cheers, Stefan.

Thanks Stefan and Johnsan apreicated the comments. I've enjoyed ur build of the spit VB johnsan looks awesome. And Been watchin ur f-14 johnsan got the same kit and decals, have to start it soon as i get the guts to build a jet(they scare me). Finished most of the sanding tonight , got to rescribe and attach the resin stuff will post pic's this weekend or earlier.

Regards Rodney

I think you may have meant to say Stefan. I haven't ever built an F-14. Started lots never finished one. Not even got to the painting stage.

:cheers: Sorry mate i meant ur spitfire which i enjoyed your build, it looks awesome. The f-14 was stefans

regards Rodney

G'day guys, here's my progress so far. I added photo's to the forum b4 the crash but they got deleted. I fill the gaps and sand a far bit, and added the new control sufaces. Any hints for next time attaching these parts? Wasn't happy with the supplied cannon's, so i sanded them off and attached new cannons by ultracast. I also drilled out .303 machine gun ports and put hypodramic(mind by spelling) needles as the brownings, thats it so far just got to do some more sanding rescibing and add filters plus minor stuff. Any tips and comments are as always more than welcome.

Cheer's Rodney

P2270002.jpg

P2270004.jpg

P2270005.jpg

P2270006.jpg

P2270012.jpg

P2270010.jpg

P3030013.jpg

P3030015.jpg

P3030016.jpg

Nice progress so far. What is the black colour on sanded area? Is it a common colour for checks only??

Thanks David. The black is chao's black from citidel (spray can), i sometimes use it for undercoats, i wanted to check something and it was closes to my hand at the time and use it. i'd usely use a gray to check fit or u can use mr surfacer. hope it helps

Rodney

Thanks Jacks. The latest, I sanded off the rivet where the filter and fuselarge (by mistake), and added some photo-etched rivets inplace. Done a lot of sanding and rescribing(which i suck at). I read the "realistic painting" article, So i've given it a crack last night with with Azure blue, will do the rest over the weekend if i get the time. I just want some opinions on how the Azure blue turned out ( i usally preshade) before i do the rest of the model?

Regards Rodney

P3110017.jpg

P3110018.jpg

P3110019.jpg

P3110020.jpg

Nice job so far.

Its really hard to tell on that blue from the pictures. The first one looks very grey, the second one seems very dark. The last two look better. This is probably a combination of the lighting/flash and the paints reaction to that, sometimes colours can come out very odd in photographs. If overall it looks somewhat like that last picture then you are probably in the ball park.

Azure blue is quite pale. This is one of the best known period colour pictures.AN.V in flight check out the air intake.

I built a DE/MS/Azure Spitfire for the NA/Med GB a while back. Using Xtracrylics as the base, I just postshaded by mixing in a little medium grey for darker shades and white for lighter shades.

Under-Flat1.jpg

Again, the pictures make it a little brighter than it really is, I leave my camera set to higher saturation, which isn't best for accurate colour reproduction.

Hope this helps though.

Cheers,

Matt