F-16XFU Gyrfalcon *COMPLETED*

Hey guys,

I have finally made up my mind andt his will be my entry to the GB.

Its from ace combat 3. Its probably one of the more modded planes from the game.

I wanted to do the F-18I or F-18U super hornet thing, but it was just too plain and boring, and has an ugly nose.

This is one of the more pleasing planes to look at, apart from the SU-43.

f16xfblueprintsax4.jpg

I have already started. I juct went to the hobby shop and picked up a cheap italeri kit. woohoo!

gyrfalcon004.jpg

Edited by benjo
Cool! :D Looks sleek and fast!

How does the cockpit work? Or is it a UCAV?

Nah theres a pilot in there. In the game i think i saw a chot of the cockpit open. Instead of a canopy, the inside is kind of all one big screen and they can see everywhere. And the pilot lies down so they can do more G or something like that...

pretty cool huh?

Benny

Nah theres a pilot in there. In the game i think i saw a chot of the cockpit open. Instead of a canopy, the inside is kind of all one big screen and they can see everywhere. And the pilot lies down so they can do more G or something like that...

pretty cool huh?

Benny

It's the COFFIN system, short for COnnection For Flight INterface. Basically, imagine a cleaner version of the Brain Direct Imaging and Brain Direct Control setups from Macross Plus and the YF-21. The pilot does get extra G maneuverability from lying down but there are no open eyes in the cockpit, it's all mental.

By the way Benjo...

:worship::woot.gif::popcorn::thumbsup: :woot.fig:

Edited by sv51macross

I'm not entirely sure if it's a true mental config, in truth - I know other aircraft that are flagged as COFFIN aircraft in other entries of the series are more of an armored cockpit, entirely encased, with digital projection over internal screens to provide 360 degree projection. I won't presume to say so entirely, but that's what I recall.

I didn't know there was a COFFIN F-16 out there, I remember there's an Su-37R, which has the COFFIN system installed as well.

Looking forward to seeing the progress on this, it should look quite interesting.

I'm not entirely sure if it's a true mental config, in truth - I know other aircraft that are flagged as COFFIN aircraft in other entries of the series are more of an armored cockpit, entirely encased, with digital projection over internal screens to provide 360 degree projection. I won't presume to say so entirely, but that's what I recall.

I didn't know there was a COFFIN F-16 out there, I remember there's an Su-37R, which has the COFFIN system installed as well.

Looking forward to seeing the progress on this, it should look quite interesting.

Ace Wiki: COFFIN

Ace Wiki: F-16XF Gryfalcon

All jets in Ace3 use a level 3 COFFIN, so yes, its entirely mental.

Hey this is where im at now, i couldnt put it down!

gyrfalcon.jpg

gyrfalcon005.jpg

I increased the sweep back of the vertical stab, and may even increase the angle of the sweep back of the leading edge of the wings. I think i had to use an F-2, and it shws a bit. It will still come out decent though i hope!

Benny

Edited by benjo

:) so far Benjo. Looks like you'll have to carve out the camera tunnels a bit more tho. Yeah, it looks like its based off a F-2 in the illustrations (or at least a Kinetic F-16 <_< Althouhg, if you used a Kinetic kit ou'd be able to alter the leading-edge flaps before putting them on. Another comment, it seems that the strengthening 'blanket' (it's way to big to be called a plate) extends out to the missile rails. How you have it is perfectly fine though.

Keep going Bennie!

:) so far Benjo. Looks like you'll have to carve out the camera tunnels a bit more tho. Yeah, it looks like its based off a F-2 in the illustrations (or at least a Kinetic F-16 :P Althouhg, if you used a Kinetic kit ou'd be able to alter the leading-edge flaps before putting them on. Another comment, it seems that the strengthening 'blanket' (it's way to big to be called a plate) extends out to the missile rails. How you have it is perfectly fine though.

Keep going Bennie!

THANKS MATE!

like all modding projects i undertake, i get conflictions in reference and vagueness everywhere!

I think i just have to make a compromise between the drawings and the one that you get to fly in the game. Its short and stubby like a real f-16 and nothing like the drawings! the flaperons are a completely different shape, the strengthening blanket isnt even there! not to mention the completely different strakes.

ac129fm0.jpg

I like the drawing one better though, so i will use artistic license and make a compromise between the two.

Ill use the strenghthening blanket, and coffin system, tail and flapperons of the drawing concept, and ill use the body of the game version coz i dont have a choice now! and also the strakes. I might have it parked on the ground, and maybe modify a figure or something.

Benny

Looking good there! :thumbsup: Just remember, the tranches fro the cameras need to be deepened a little more than that.

Yeah i screwed up with that, its going to be difficult to do that now....

Benny

Hey,

i have made more progress at my club build day today.

got attention from some of the others with my curiuos looking falcon!

I have given it a guide coat so i know where needs more work.

gyrfalcon008.jpg

Benny

This is too cool...any tricks to making it look so smooth or is it just good old fashioned sanding?

Yeap, you said it, sanding and sanding and sanding!

and you know what?

that new tamiya light curing putty works heaps well! its very smoooooth and easy to work with, once you get to understand whats required in making it go off...

One other trick, sometimes you need to give it a light paint coat when youre nearly finished, this is so that you know what areas need to be fixed up. you might have to do this a few times untill youve got it just right.

Look, i made the decals! the upeo ones at the bottom will be for this jet.

decals01004.jpg

Benny

Edited by benjo
Yeap, you said it, sanding and sanding and sanding!

and you know what?

that new tamiya light curing putty works heaps well! its very smoooooth and easy to work with, once you get to understand whats required in making it go off...

One other trick, sometimes you need to give it a light paint coat when youre nearly finished, this is so that you know what areas need to be fixed up. you might have to do this a few times untill youve got it just right.

Look, i made the decals! the upeo ones at the bottom will be for this jet.

decals01004.jpg

Benny

Aaaaaiiiggghhh yeaaaahhhhhh! (lots of associated excited fangirl-ish screaming)

Hey guys, its starting to look familiar now.

I preshaded with purple then added the white.

can anyone remember what color the wingtips and tail was????? was it brown? pink? red? gold even?

benjo003.jpg

Benny