Zvezda's 1/72 Mi-26

Hi Guys,

Any thoughts on Zvezda's Mi-26? I'm thinking of getting one...i've done fixed wing stuff until now..

thanks for your time,

BW

Working on one now,fantastic kit with no major problems,the only slight awkward bit is the tail rotor shaft in the cargo hold,you need five hands to get it lined up.Buy one you won't be dissapointed,just make sure you have the space to display it ,it's bigger than a Hercules.

As sniperUK says, it's a great kit - NOT 'based on South Front's earlier offering' as it says in Scale Aircraft Modelling :)

Before you buy it though - open the box and check the clear moulding of the windscreen.

Due to a packaging issue, some kits (mine included) have the curved windscreen squashed almost flat - so that it has to be carefully bent back into shape before it can be used.

The problem, apparently, doesn't affect all boxings - so check before buy.

Also check out thise thread :- http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....68311&st=20

I posted some photos showing the windscreen problem - but I can't find them in the above thread - anyone know where they are???

HTH

Ken

As sniperUK says, it's a great kit - NOT 'based on South Front's earlier offering' as it says in Scale Aircraft Modelling :thumbsup:

Before you buy it though - open the box and check the clear moulding of the windscreen.

Due to a packaging issue, some kits (mine included) have the curved windscreen squashed almost flat - so that it has to be carefully bent back into shape before it can be used.

The problem, apparently, doesn't affect all boxings - so check before buy.

Also check out thise thread :- http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....68311&st=20

I posted some photos showing the windscreen problem - but I can't find them in the above thread - anyone know where they are???

HTH

Ken

Ken,

Cause you posted them in this Mi-26 thread...

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=170783

I don't think the windscreen is an issue unless you have to build it right away because Andrey has said in that same thread you posted, Zvezda will do what it can to get you a new one. I would be surprised given they changed the boxing to fix the problem, if they didn't send you a replacement.

Ken,

Cause you posted them in this Mi-26 thread...

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=170783

Doh!! - I didn't look back far enough!!!

Tanks! :thumbsup:

I don't think the windscreen is an issue unless you have to build it right away because Andrey has said in that same thread you posted, Zvezda will do what it can to get you a new one. I would be surprised given they changed the boxing to fix the problem, if they didn't send you a replacement.

I have sent off an email to Zvezda - I'll see what happens.... :)

Ken

Doh!! - I didn't look back far enough!!!

Tanks! :bandhead2:

I have sent off an email to Zvezda - I'll see what happens.... :D

Ken

No thank you, I thought I would have to deal with the issue and was going to use your steps.

I hope it works out for you. Fedex says my kit is out for delivery. Since the kits took awhile before making it across the pond hopefully it has the new packaging. We shall see today and I will let yall know.

I have sent off an email to Zvezda - I'll see what happens.... :thumbsup:

Well mine glass is similar to yours. Hope they come through.

Sniper is correct on the size, she is one big helo.

Well mine glass is similar to yours. Hope they come through.

Sniper is correct on the size, she is one big helo.

Even if the canopy is flattened (mine was)it's flexable enough to bend back into shape without damage and is a perfect fit ,just fit the two sides first using cement then use Krystal Klear on the rest.

Even if the canopy is flattened (mine was)it's flexable enough to bend back into shape without damage and is a perfect fit ,just fit the two sides first using cement then use Krystal Klear on the rest.

That's what I am hoping to do with mine - when I get round to making it.......

Glaze_03.jpg

Glaze_04.jpg

But, just in case, I am waiting to see what Zvezda will do.

If that doesn't work, I guess I'll try Hannants - who supplied the kit and should really be the first port of call for a replacement part.

Ken

Got mine from Sprue Brothers today. What an unbelievably sweet kit! The detail is very impressive. I can't wait for the aftermarket decal sheet for some more options.

The only question is rear door open or closed. I think it looks better with the rear closed, but I'd hate to hide the interior detail, plus I suspect the rear ramp works to keep it down oon the nose gear. Otherwise, weight in the nose is going to be needed, I think.

My windscreen didn't seem to be flattened overall, but maybe just on one side. It looks a little twisted.

I think I'm going to do mine with the rear ramp open and a BMP-2 or BTR-70 coming out - if only to show off the sheer size of the thing and what it is capable of carrying.

Me too, with a lovely Trumpeter BTR-80...

Me too, with a lovely Trumpeter BTR-80...

I am thinking something similar, so what could the Mi-26 carry in regards to armour? In other words what's the largest vehicle they could put in the back?

PS got my kit at the LHS and windscreen is fine.

Windshield on mine is fine too... Doing mine in a UN scheme possibly with a 1/76 bus coming out the back, not sure when or why but a few British bus companies sent old vehicles out help after a natural disaster. (I'm thinking boxing day tsunami)