1/32 F-100 resin 'pit

Here is something I have been tinkering with while trying to finish front of the bench projects. (It is NOT on the front of the bench right now. I don't think it is a project that will pay for itself). It is something I want to do, 'cause I feel that the three 'pit sets now available still miss the mark.

BigHUNpit.jpgBigHUNpittub.jpg

Cheers,

Harold

I was contemplating buying the Aires pit. Can you elaborate a bit on where it misses the mark? Is it something that could be fixed?

Terry

The Aires set, while beautifully engineered and cast is still not all that accurate.

You must understand that I have the worst case of AMS.....

Here are just some of my nit picks:

The gun sight is the most abvious, it really doesn't represent the real thing. (nor does any of the other resin sets)

The rear deck looks great, but is out of proportion with some detail parts underscale.

The floor isn't representative either. It should have a curve from under the foot rest foward. (and a few other small details changed)

The canopy raising rails are not at all correct.

The seat is bolt upright, It should have around a 7 degree rear tilt. The survival pack on it looks like an old rag laying in the bottom of the pan.

There are more little nits to pick as well, but I think you get the idea.

Remember, this is just AMS taking over.

I have seen absolutely beautiful builds using the Aires pit. It still is the most accurate and has more details added that the other resin sets don't include.

I would highly recommend it.

The one I am doing may not be offered for general sale. I am doing it mostly for myself (just to see if I can do it) and a few devoted HUN builders.

Cheers,

Harold

Oooo! I'm in if you decide to sell them. I've got another Hun in the closet.

A few more things about the Aires pit. The tub is a little too wide at the instrument panel, which spreads the fuselage out and is a PITA to sand dow to where it will fit. The photo-etched instrument panel leaves a lot to be desired. They etch the bezels into the panel, which is OK for 1/72, but for 1/32 you really need to have multiple layers like Eduard's. The seat isn't as nice as Harold's. The map case looks unfinished. It's got some sort of cutout in one corner with a tube sticking up. It's still light years ahead of the kit pit, and is much better done than Avionix's pit, too.

Ben

Anyone ever use that set to make the seat?

Terry

I'd invest in a giant-sized bottle of Industrial Strength Excedrine and a case of beer before I tried to tackle that one! :salute: Harold's seat is worth every penny!

Cheers!

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown
Oooo! I'm in if you decide to sell them. I've got another Hun in the closet.

A few more things about the Aires pit. The tub is a little too wide at the instrument panel, which spreads the fuselage out and is a PITA to sand dow to where it will fit. The photo-etched instrument panel leaves a lot to be desired. They etch the bezels into the panel, which is OK for 1/72, but for 1/32 you really need to have multiple layers like Eduard's. The seat isn't as nice as Harold's. The map case looks unfinished. It's got some sort of cutout in one corner with a tube sticking up. It's still light years ahead of the kit pit, and is much better done than Avionix's pit, too.

Ben

Ben is correct on all points.

You noticed tha odd map case too. What the pattern maker did, was copy from a cut out drawing to show what was inside the case!!!

It should be solid, not with the little zig zag cut out. I thought that was kinda funny.

I will tinker with this as I work on more pressing projects.

:lol: :) :worship:

Hi Harold,

I bought the set at the beginning avionix, I regret now. Where can I find yours? As you more photos.

I completely redesigned the rear but I think any change because the cockpit is poorly positioned by Trumpeter. It is down some milimètre which is why he comes to bite on the place of ammunition boxes.

I again mounting that I started a year ago ...

happy new year!

Stéphane

Edited by Steph'
Harold, your seat is RIGHT ON!! The pit is a great idea and should on here really well. Let us know, I am in for a complete Harold set after seeing the seat!!

-Jim

Thanks guys....

I just think that this is one expensive model to begin with, but it deserves to be done well. I would HAVE to make it right. It is one of my favorite airframes. It would be one of my builds for a Nationals entry. It would take about two years of work to get it to the point where I felt I could be proud to put it on a table.

HOWEVER, I don't have two years of spare time anymore. LIFE is getting in the way, besides, I am enjoying making the resin goodies for my (and your) favorite models. I am glad you all like the results.

I am going into simi-retirement in two months!!! MORE time to work on resin parts!!!

I might even find time to finish one of my old scratchbuilt projects. Maybe my 1/48 Cougar, or F-84F prototype....or....

:thumbsup::pray::worship:

Hi Harold,

I bought the set at the beginning avionix, I regret now. Where can I find yours? As you more photos.

I completely redesigned the rear but I think any change because the cockpit is poorly positioned by Trumpeter. It is down some milimètre which is why he comes to bite on the place of ammunition boxes.

I again mounting that I started a year ago ...

happy new year!

Stéphane

Hi Steph.

I wasn't going to go into production with this set. I thought that there were three other sets made for it and most of the guys that have the kit, have already started it or finished it. (I didn't realize that there are quite a few with more than one in their stash). This is more a labor of love than a money maker, after all, I did the Kinetic F-86 set and after almost a year, I finally broke even on that one. (not in time involved, just the materials)

I think I will pull it toward the front of the bench sooner than I thought. I will post any progress on it.

Can you post some pics to show the problem you ran into?

Cheers,

Harold

Hi Harold,

I understand for the pit.

Have you photos of the work you have done on the gun in your post because they no longer appear.

Here's the problem. Whatever the cockpit utilsé (Avionix, Aires, Renaissance) they were designed to be placed exactly where Trumpeter. In fact this site is false. Indeed, the rear end of the cockpit bulkhead compartment ammunition. But when you put this one, there is a gap of several milimètre backwards. The rear is too short. We see it also in the dashboard that should be more forward in the windshield. my English is bad I do not know if I understood ...

Here the picture

plageda5.jpg

norris42wr6.jpg

Picture, F-100.Org

Cheers

Stéphane

Trumpeter's cockpit is about 150% of the Monogram kit, as far as placement of the tub, instrument panel, and aft bulkhead. I think Dave's right in that the ammo access panels are too far forward by several mm. Rescribing them might help them look a little better, although that downward kink in the rear deck will then be in the wrong place. Fortunately, the seat hides the bays on the inside. I think Trump used +/-3mm for their tolerances on this kit. Eveything seems to be off by at least that amount. :tease:

I'm like Harold, in that the F-100 is my all-time favorite aircraft, and I want to do it right when I build a model of one. Since Hobby Boss pantographs the Trumpeter kits down to smaller scales, there is no way I am going to spend ~$50 each on the HB kits when they are released. Even with its faults, the Monogram kit is still the most accurate F-100 kit you can buy in any scale. That said, I'm still having a good time wrestling with the Trumpeter kit!

BTW, Steph, you're model is looking fantastic!!!! :tease:

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown
Hi Harold,

I understand for the pit.

Have you photos of the work you have done on the gun in your post because they no longer appear.

Here's the problem. Whatever the cockpit utilsé (Avionix, Aires, Renaissance) they were designed to be placed exactly where Trumpeter. In fact this site is false. Indeed, the rear end of the cockpit bulkhead compartment ammunition. But when you put this one, there is a gap of several milimètre backwards. The rear is too short. We see it also in the dashboard that should be more forward in the windshield. my English is bad I do not know if I understood ...

Here the picture

plageda5.jpg

norris42wr6.jpg

Picture, F-100.Org

Cheers

Stéphane

After looking at the fuselage again, it appears that Trump has proportions out of whack. It is a combination of the pit a bit too far back and the panel a bit too far forward (and not the correct size).

I can adjust the resin tub to sit slightly more to the front, (I already moved the IP slightly forward) and making the rear deck a tad longer to make up the difference. However, it still won't be enough to be clear of the bay.

Since it's too late for me to move the instrument panel and cockpit tub on mine, I'm just going to rescribe the panels a little farther aft and then hide them under a coat of SEA camouflage.

To change the subject slightly, Trumpeter got the drop tank noses too short by ~1/4" and the shape is way off. How would you suggest I go about making new ones? I've got some measurements so I can make a pretty close profile, and the cross sections are circular. The centerline is on a very slight curve, so I wouldn't be able to cut some new noses on a lathe. Besides sending a CAD drawing to a local 3D printing company, would the best way be to build a skeleton made of a profile of plastic with semi-circular ribs, then fill the spaces with Apoxie & start sanding?

Thanks!

Ben

Here is something I have been tinkering with while trying to finish front of the bench projects. (It is NOT on the front of the bench right now. I don't think it is a project that will pay for itself). It is something I want to do, 'cause I feel that the three 'pit sets now available still miss the mark.

BigHUNpit.jpgBigHUNpittub.jpg

Cheers,

Harold

Here is a small update on the big HUN tub.

After looking at every reference I have on the D tub, the rear armor plate is flat on the top, (the A and C has a pointed armor plate) and the rails are bolted directly to it. The Aires set has two plates behind the seat. Am I missing something?

You can see I did a bit more work on the floor. It is more smoothly curved now.

BigHUNpit-1.jpg

Harold I for one will be interested in a your update set if you decide to sell them. I haven't bought a Trumpter F-100 yet because of all the problems that have been mentioned here. So here's a thumbs up :thumbsup: for all the work you guys are doing to get it right.

Texas :thumbsup:

Harold I for one will be interested in a your update set if you decide to sell them. I haven't bought a Trumpter F-100 yet because of all the problems that have been mentioned here. So here's a thumbs up B) for all the work you guys are doing to get it right.

Texas :blink:

Sounds like there will be a bunch of guys wanting one...so, I will see if I can work on it a bit more often.

Here is a small update on the big HUN tub.

After looking at every reference I have on the D tub, the rear armor plate is flat on the top, (the A and C has a pointed armor plate) and the rails are bolted directly to it. The Aires set has two plates behind the seat. Am I missing something?

You can see I did a bit more work on the floor. It is more smoothly curved now.

BigHUNpit-1.jpg

I will post the site of this photo as soon as find it again.

The Aires set has two plates behind the seat. why?

Ejection-seat-installation.jpg

Edited by Harold
The Aires set has two plates behind the seat. why?

That extra one is the We Need To Move The Seat Forward Because We Got The Cockpit Tub Too Long plate. To be used with Gunze's Mr. Panel Line Filler and Mr. Ammunition Access Panel Relocating Tool.

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown
That extra one is the We Need To Move The Seat Forward Because We Got The Cockpit Tub Too Long plate. To be used with Gunze's Mr. Panel Line Filler and Mr. Ammunition Access Panel Relocating Tool.

Ben

Thanks Ben, I know you would have the answer.

Doesn't ANYONE EVER just look at the photos of the real thing???

I would think that Trump has a computer that can access the net, just like me. It took all of 10 minutes of casual surfing (with my morning coffee) to find the info on it.

Sheesh!