1/72 Esci RAAF C-130E (re-build)

As you can see by the attached picture I have stripped down my 1/72 Airfix Esci C-130E back to components in readiness for its re-build (3rd time). I bought and built this kit as a kid, hand painting it originally before sanding it down and airbrushing it. Over the years though it has cracked along the seems and looked ragged so I have decided to re-do it. I'm going to repaint it in the same scheme but do it properly. I will post pics as I proceed.

DSC02549.jpg

Regards

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Doppel

Thanks for the offer Tim, but I bought the Aussie Decals for it when I finally decided to strip it down. I'll let you know if I have any issues whereby I may need to replace a decal or two if you could hang onto them.

Regards

Andrew

Hi Pompeo,

The hardest part of re-doing this build is going to be the panel lines. Although most are still visible cleaning them up sufficiently is going to be difficult as there is 2-3 layers of paint in them. I'll probably post sme pics later in the week as I intend to start with the cockpit as per the instructions.

Regards

Andrew

Wow - the old Airfix kit has a separate tail, but in the current kit it's integral to the fuselage.

Hi Tim,

Andrew's kit is the old Esci kit, not Airfix (sorry Andrew). I built one a couple of years back (in RAAF colours) and the one piece clear section and the detachable tail is the give away. The original Airfix kit had clear inserts for the windscreeen as per the Italeri kit. Ref... I have 3 of the original Arifix kits in the stash waiting their turn for the bench! :wacko:

:)

• 2 weeks later...

A little update and I'll hopefully post pics tonight. I have started the cockpit by adding the bed folded up against the back wall and re-spraying it. I just have to re-paint the steering wheels, instrument panels and seats and I can look at doing the main cargo area before getting it back together.

regards

Andrew

Finally some pics guys so you can see that I'm actually doing something with this thing. I just have to paint the cargo floor from its crappy green colour to aluminium and and a wash then I'll start putting her back together. The colours are pretty bold considering what they should be but you can't see into her very well when she's all closed up so the bold colours will help a little-I hope.

Regards

Andrew :thumbsup:

DSC02584.jpg

DSC02585.jpg

I'll touch up the back of the seats but I think I should've filled the sink holes

DSC02586.jpg

You'll be hard pressed to see the front of the seats let alone the back. I think you will be safe with the aerated seats :salute:

Nice to see some progress!

:thumbsup:

Cheers Ray, I'll leave it be then.

Hey Andrew,

the cockpit looks really good so far. You're right it is bold.

:thumbsup:

Brendon

Cheers Brendon

regards

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Little to report about here except I have rebuilt the front and main U/Cs and repainted them. I am unsure whether to put it back together and then sand and rescribe the panel lines or do it before I put it back together. If I put it together first the plastic won't flex as much but would be harder to handle whereas if I sand first the plastic will flex and possibly crack where I don't want it to.

Any suggestions would be appreciated?

regards

Andrew

Little to report about here except I have rebuilt the front and main U/Cs and repainted them. I am unsure whether to put it back together and then sand and rescribe the panel lines or do it before I put it back together. If I put it together first the plastic won't flex as much but would be harder to handle whereas if I sand first the plastic will flex and possibly crack where I don't want it to.

Any suggestions would be appreciated?

regards

Andrew

One of the 'golden guidelines' of rescribing is do it pre-assembly. It's much easier than attempting to do it once you have major components already assembled. The main drawback to doing it prior to assembly is the increased difficulty in ensuring panel lines that cross joins (the fuselage halves for example) actually line up when the parts are brought together. Some people will leave only these until after assembly - a sort of hybrid approach I guess, and probably worth considering.

Kev

• 4 weeks later...

Having had Ray (Trojan Thunder) come over the other day and listen to his thoughts on the panel lines I decided that I could probably get away with just sticking the thing back together and go over the panel lines where required as although filled with paint in some spots, after sanding the lines should come back. I'll just need to clean out a few. So, today I decided to get the thing going again-Fuselage is back together and the tail has been cleaned up. Here's my progress.

Regards

Andrew

DSC02775.jpg

DSC02776.jpg

DSC02777.jpg

DSC02779.jpg

DSC02780.jpg

Hi A/S,

After sanding off some of the paint on the tail I used my Tamiya Olfa scriber to re-do the panel lines. I've done the same on the wings which I did the other day just haven't photographed. I'll use the same method on the fuselage when I get to it. I've got to finish that 1/32 Tamiya F-15E first as well as a 1/32 Revell F-16C I threw together.

regards

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I thought I'd get away with it but 'nooo' someone had to sand the Herc back to pick up the panel lines didn't they that three coats of paint filled in. So tonight, for the past three hours I have been sanding this thing back so that I can pick up the panel lines and re-scribe them. I've done the main and tail planes so far. Hopefully I'll have the fuselage done by tomorrow night, then I can re-build her and get some paint back on her. Here's what I've done. (The vertical tail plane is just sitting in position)

DSC02818.jpg

DSC02819.jpg

DSC02820.jpg

Regards

Andrew :cheers: