That's a good point. I've seen a few build ups, but I've never really seen anybody do a full buildup article thingy. I'd be interested too, because if it's really good, I'm going to have to get me one.

Matt

Hey Sean, I'm building my first one pretty much out of the box. The exception is the Legend cockpit set, it has it's pluses, but not a must have, especially if you build yours with the canopy closed. Evereything I've done so far fit's together pretty good. Think it's a great model. One of the best decal sheets I've ever seen on a out of the box kit. Build it. Holla at me and I'll give you a hint on the paint scheme.

Chuck

Hey Sean, I'm building my first one pretty much out of the box. The exception is the Legend cockpit set, it has it's pluses, but not a must have, especially if you build yours with the canopy closed. Evereything I've done so far fit's together pretty good. Think it's a great model. One of the best decal sheets I've ever seen on a out of the box kit. Build it. Holla at me and I'll give you a hint on the paint scheme.

Chuck

I am also working on my 1st of 2 kits.Chuck are the Alaska AK codes correct as on the sheet?Mine are missing the shading on the back side of the K on one of the AK's. I am using the Wolfpack cockpit on my 1st kit,may use kit cockpit on 2nd.I am currently painting inside of intakes before installation.

What I've been the most curious about with this kit surrounds the landing gear. The Italeri and other offerings not only had what I believed to be very inaccurate wheels / tires (main landing gear specifically) but the whole stance of the model once it was on its wheels looked completely off. I know that kit has plenty of other issues, but I really want to see if Academy got it right with this one. Unfortunately, the only build-up pics I've found online don't clearly show a side-on profile of the MLGs or the overall stance of the jet from a side view.

Might just have to pick one up though. F-22's a mighty pretty airplane.

-Brady

I am also working on my 1st of 2 kits.Chuck are the Alaska AK codes correct as on the sheet?Mine are missing the shading on the back side of the K on one of the AK's. I am using the Wolfpack cockpit on my 1st kit,may use kit cockpit on 2nd.I am currently painting inside of intakes before installation.

It seems all the decal sheets have some curiosities. There are many number call-outs in the directions (though that can be attributed to the directions as much as the decal sheet itself) but luckily there's enough in the images to make it clear which is which. Also, look very carefully at the names. Many misspellings, but I am not sure exactly of all of them. For instance, some people spell their names weird, but definitely there are some wrong ones. You might have to do some math to figure out which schemes have enough decals to do one plane accurately. Unless you don't care about names, and not everyone does.

Mike Todd

• 4 weeks later...

Just some observations from my current 'curbside' (in flight) build

The intakes weren't as bad as I thought they would be fit wise, but if you are concerned about contests or people with pen lights, it would take a little more effort to get them contest worthy. Couple of ejector marks, and the bottom seams where they attach to the internal bay will need a little work. Since I was doing mine in flight and didn't to worry about internal bay details, I didn't follow the instructions and assembled mine in a manner to best allow for some adjustment after the intakes were slid into the slots in the fuselage.

If you are doing yours buttoned up, the main weapons bay door fits very well. The one piece gear doors are too large for the openings, so I used the 2 piece doors meant to be open. With just a little clean up, they fit very tightly, much better than the one piece doors. The sidewinder weapons bay doors fit very loosely and will need some gaps filled in. The small diamond shaped door on the spine fits much better if you thin down the tabs on each side. Like the exhausts parts below, the tabs are a little too thick and prevent the door from sitting flush with the surface of the fuselage.

The exhausts parts used to show them in the closed position had quite a step between the fuselage and the exhaust part, leaving what I though was too large of a gap. This seems to be because the petals have a ledge that slides under and attaches to the rear edge of the fuselage, and its too shallow to allow the top of the exhaust to match the contour of the fusealge. I just scraped these a bit with an exacto blade to make them deeper, which raises the top of the exhausts up to the same level as the fuselage.

Just some quick observations of my slammer F-22 that will sport some Israeli markings (if I make it that far).

Edited by JasonB

Any one match up the wing pylons and drop tanks to the Italeri kit?

If I get an Academy F-22, I would like to keep her clean as a demo bird then possibly use the pylons and tanks on a Italeri bird.

• 2 weeks later...