XFQ-16N-----FINISHED! [No drone though]

2nd Lt. Nagase read off the features list of the UCAV currently flying lazily alongside the JASDF E-2D he and an analyst from MHI, Ishikawa, with a somewhat skepical tone.

"...Approach speed of 225kph, max takeoff weight of 14000 kilos..." he paused at the engine specs and nodded approvingly. "...GE F-110-132, at least it has enough thrust to takeoff and lug around that warload," he waved the laminated paper at the similarly aged, bearded man across the small aisle between their respective stations. "What the hell is a F-16 going to do with four Phoenix missiles? aren't those, like, 400 kilos each?" Ishikawa nodded.

"With it's new AESA radar it can effectively utilize the AIM-54E. The UCAV is more supposed to be a sentry slash EW aircraft, it's not intended to dogfight. the internal gun is kept for self-defense purposes only."

"Sure looks weird though." Nagase sighed as he looked back out the observation port. The cockpit was faired over, an articulated wide-angle IRST and color high-definition camera inside a smaller smoked-plexiglass housing atop the cockpit fairing. the forward landing gear door was bulged massively and lengthened to accommodate the shortened F-18C strut, and the F-18E tailhook assembly looked odd between the ventral fins. The rudder was adorned with a couple extra antennae, the most obvious being the large fairing for the satellite data-link. Su-37 style canards and shoulders were mounted to the LERXs and the elevons had been enlarged and given dogteeth. Where the normal boom and receptacle port was there was the topside and barely exposed head of the probe-an drouge IFR probe. The whole aircraft was painted in an overall dark-gray paint scheme with red highlights on the cockpit fairing, wingtips, and rudder, and minimal USN markings.

"Oy, Ishikawa, we're about to reach South Korean airspace, we have to head back now." the co-pilot called back from the E-2's cockpit.

"Roger that, thanks for bringing us out here." he shot back. Ishikawa turned on his headset and spoke to the UCAV. "XFQ-16N Lillia, continue patrol into NK airspace and return when bingo is hit, good-luck." he ordered. He turned the headset back off and chuckled.

"The USN wants their latest fleet-defense toy tested out, and we get to see Shiro Masamune's animes come to life, huh?" he asked.

"I guess, it'll be interesting to see how the F-2s perform with this upgrade package, if it works out." Nagase replied. "Though, I can't wait to see those shiny-new Su-35s the defense ministry ordered."

At that point the E-2 began to bank away from the UCAV, but before they got far, both Nagase and Ishikawa's monitors illuminated with a message from the XFQ-16N.

"THANK YOU. WILL EXECUTE MISSION. EXPECT MY RETURN SOON, REMEMBER PLEASE MY FAVORITE BRAND OIL." the message scrolled. Ishikawa laughed.

"We give it one taste of Eunos turbine lube and it refuses to fly without it." he said. Nagase snickered.

"But it has to follow orders, right?" he asked. Ishikawa shrugged.

"I do believe...as do all the maintenance staff...that is a sentient machine." Ishikawa said in a low tone.

Will have pics soon.

Edited by sv51macross
:rolleyes: Nice stuff!

Does it talk in that high-pitched voice like the Tachikomas? :salute:

No, I'd thought it would communicate like B-503 Yukikaze, voice and data input and text output, though voice isn't a bad idea.

A small texudat, I've finalized the canard shoulders and the IFR probe. Thinking smaller-sized versions of the wings for canards. IFR probe is an external bomt-on affair like the A-4 Skyhawk had, pics soon.

I'm really putting alot of extra effort into this so I can enter it into a model-show that is 'fairly' local at a Riders HS. Need to make hydro lines on the LG struts, biggie disk-brake units on the MLG hubs, ect.

Looks good! I think the canards suit it. Just one question, if it's a drone aircraft does it really need to have a cockpit? Or will it be able to take a pilot as well.

I am really sorry, i have no clue in heck why pics keep coming out blurry as all-get-out.

I don't have a problem with your pictures, but if you'd like them to be a bit sharper I'd recommend investing in a mini desktop tripod. You can get them here for about $10-20 (about the price of a 1/144 kit). Using the tripod you set up the shot, then put the camera on self timer and let it take the shot. Voila, no shakes.

Chris

Looks good! I think the canards suit it. Just one question, if it's a drone aircraft does it really need to have a cockpit? Or will it be able to take a pilot as well.

Chris

The cockpit is just for display. I intend on fairing it over and adding the IRST/HD camera and housing but I also want it removable. The idea is that the 'AI' takes the place of the ejection seat in the cockpit and this is modular, mainly so that if the AI malfunctions the carrier doesn't have a useless airframe on their hands.

And thanks for the tripod idea, I'll look into it.

• 2 weeks later...

PLEeeeeeeese tell me ure finishing this!

maybe a canopy similar to my F-16XFU wouls be cool, but it wouldnt need to be as involved , it would look awesome as just a flattened out version of a normal canopy.

PLEeeeeeeese tell me ure finishing this!

maybe a canopy similar to my F-16XFU wouls be cool, but it wouldnt need to be as involved , it would look awesome as just a flattened out version of a normal canopy.

I aaaaallmost had it ready for decals, and then I thought; "It'd look cool with the flaps dropped." [groan]. So now I'm trying to find something to serve as fowler actuators (like on an airliner wing) and...eeeaaaahhhggg! The putty for the canopy fairing never cured so I've got that to deal with, and on top of that I still have no idea how I'm going to get a F-16 nosehweel door to cover a F-18 nosegear assembly.

So I've been taking a break from her, working on a 1:144 ARII F-16XL in the meantime, as well as the other F-16 Whiff I've got going, and wrapping-up a Su-47 I'm building for my dad.

• 2 weeks later...

Made some changes, listed as follows. Batteries dead in the camera, so no pics, sorry.

- Solid 'faired-over' canopy wasn't working out, so it's going to be a standard canopy over an ugly-looking AI unit with four cameras/IRST sensors

- Realized that with 4x each of AIM-120 and AIM-54, plus the two under-canard-shoulder AIM-9s O'm putting on, range is going to be really short. Thought about making an oversized VER for the Phoenixes but the dropped flaps interfere with the 370gal wing tanks. So under the wings the AIM-54s will be one to a pylon but I've now got overwing pylons for the 370gal drop tanks. By now, I just realized, I've created a one-engined Tomcat with crappy wing loading. :jaw-dropping: (thank goodness for the canards, TV, and the dogtoothed elevators!)

Alright guys, she's finished and done! ended up not being able to come up with some kind of AI-like structure for the cockpit so the bang-seat is in there (unglued though [fingers crossed]!) I'll get pics as soon as I get new batteries for my digital camera. BTW, it's Jolly Rogers

kevin climbs into the cockpit, starts flipping on the flight routine check list, power ons generators etc..

i'd always love to see how the f-16 could mount phoenixes, and 4 of them!! that is some serious load..

Great whiff i like this one.

oh, and what's with fowler flaps? more lift?

Here's a pic of the underside:

000_0477.jpg

Tomcat Rio, yeah, in OverG the F-16 will stall back onto the runway under 180knts if you put the flaps up, and it has a ridiculously thin wing, so I figured anything to help approach speeds would be best, so full-length fowler flaps.

Edited by sv51macross