Quiet Compressor Needed

Hello everyone!

I have two separate compressors and both are extremely noisy...I have an older continuous run diaphragm (refurb from hobby shop) and a shop type tank compressor and neither of them are quiet by any stretch...they work fine but are loud.

I am looking in the 200 dollar range and bearair has some that say "just above a whisper" but I am afraid to dump money into one without hearing it first. I have a toddler downstairs from my work area and I need it to be as quiet as possible since I usually don’t get to work on my hobby until after her bedtime.

Any suggestions? single/two piston or diaphragm make any difference? I prefer tank type but at this point I don't care as long as it's quiet. I went to local hobby shop and there are a bunch of idiots running the place now and offer no help.

Throw out some model names if you have a suggestion...I can research them up.

Background if anyone needs it...I use double and single action airbrushes and various brand enamel/acrylic/metalizer paints...low pressure. 10 - 15 psi…I have regulator and moisture trap. Only used for plastic model building.

Thanks for the advice!

jm

Wouldn't it be possible to use the compressors you already have...relocate them to a remote location and or enclosed in a "quiet box" to muffle their sound. Otherwise look at getting yourself a CO2 setup...zero noise there.

I second the CO2 setup. I filled mine up last year and am maybe a 3rd of the way through it. Only noise is from the airbrush itself. I love it. Not too difficult to refill either.

I would also recommend a CO2 setup if you need absolute quiet. I've been using CO2 for about 16 years, and would not go back to a compressor. It is completely quiet, relatively portable (weighs about 45 lbs.), takes up little space, and you don't have to worry about any moisture getting in the hose. With careful shopping, you should be able to put together a setup for about $200.00.

My only concern about a CO2 setup would be your infant. Carbon Dioxide is an asphyxiant, and the gas inside the tank is compressed to over 800 psi, the tank must be kept upright. These hazards are remote, but they need to be considered. You can always use elastic cord to secure the tank to a luggage cart and lock it out of the way when it is not in use.

Let me know if you are interested in a CO2 setup and I can supply a parts list and some other suggestions.

Otherwise, for $200.00, you might look into making your own compressor from an old refrigerator compressor. I recall there were some instructions on the internet for doing this. This compressor would be as quiet as a refrigerator, which is about as quiet as you are going to be able to get besides CO2.

Thanks for the responses!

I would go with the CO2 if I had a more remote location for my work but I can almost guarantee the wife will not allow a compressed gas canister in the house.

I have seen some refrigerator compressor setups on the web that look pretty cool...I just don't know if I have the time or energy to put one together.

I am going to hit a couple more local hobby shops and have them plug some in. I think I might be suprised how quiet even the cheaper ones are these days.

The one I got as a refurb I bought about 15 years ago. The guy told me it would run forever and it has just not all that quiet. I did some sound proofing and created a box...sort of. It helped some though it was with the shop tank type compressor and that thing is so loud you can't talk over it and when it kicks on I about come out of my chair. LOL!

Maybe in the future I will move to CO2...I think my options are kind of limited at this point.

I will let everyone know what I find and post a review on how quiet it is.

JM

i use a Sparmax compressor at the kitchen table (my modeling bench), about 15 metres (yards) away from where the family watch TV in the same room & they've never one said it was too noisy. it is very quiet,they don't even notice it, got it about 7 yrs ago for $250 Aus.

Another option would be to find out from your local dentist where they get their compressor from. I have a Junair which I got second hand from work, totally silent, uses a pump much the same as a fridge. I can fill the tank on it and work for a few hours before it has to fill again. If your lucky you may find a supplier who has just had a trade in and get it cheap.

Hi Hineni :woot.gif:

Let me know if you are interested in a CO2 setup and I can supply a parts list and some other suggestions.

I'm currently using a homemade silent compressor using the tank of a very noisy one and a refrigerator motor, but that is not going to last forever and I don't know where to get a motor replacement unless I find a broken refrigerator with a working motor, which is weird.

The thing is that I would love to see a parts list and other suggestions :nanner: for a CO2 setup. I don't know if I can get refills in Madrid, Spain, but right now I don't even know how to build a CO2 setup, the pieces I would need, etc.

Thanks a lot in advance :cheers:

Raúl

Hi jmixon :nanner:

I am looking in the 200 dollar range and bearair has some that say "just above a whisper" but I am afraid to dump money into one without hearing it first. I have a toddler downstairs from my work area and I need it to be as quiet as possible since I usually don’t get to work on my hobby until after her bedtime.

When I bought my compressor I didn't have much money to buy one, so I bought a very noisy (but amazingly cheap) one, and converted it...

If money is not a problem, there are plenty of models out there, from Grex to Silair, all probably above 400USD. But if you want to have a silent-but-cheap compressor, you can do what I did. I went to the mall and bought a 1/4HP compressor for less than 100EUR (120USD, maybe?). This kind of compressors can produce between 90 and 100dB, so your toddler not only won't sleep, she may go up to your modelling room and eat your head off :cheers:

Well, after you've bought the noisy compressor, find a working refrigerator motor. I got mine from a refrigerator in the trash, amazingly the motor was intact (well, more or less). Depending on the type of motor, you will find three or four tubes: one for the air intake, another for the air outlet, and maybe another two if the motor had double gas circuits. Most of these motors have another tube for oil, but I'm not sure. The best bet is to turn the motor on and see which tube sucks and which one blows.

Remove the noisy motor from the compressor and connect the refrigerator motor to the tank, observing that the "suck" and "blow" tubes are connected properly. I needed a rubber tube for connecting my motor, since the tubes were short, but I went to a hardware store and they made the tube for me with the proper endings. You can do it yourself with a piece of rubber hose, and those metallic rings that you tight with a screwdriver, depending on the model.

That's all you need, but beware that the presostate may not work as before: many of them have a valve that discharges the last air pumped from the motor so the piston is at a certain position. These valves work at very high pressures, pressures that your noisy motor can produce but the silent one won't, so that part won't work (usually, that part is a small black rubber hose going from a big valve in the tank to the presostate.

Mine works perfectly, but when the motor dies I don't know what I would do, since finding working refrigerator motors is not easy. I don't know where to buy a new one and getting a working one in the trashcan... well, you need a lot of luck for that :woot.gif:

If nobody near you can help you building the silent compressor from the noisy compressor, don't even try, otherwise you will be probably throwing away 100EUR.

Raúl

Is there any real advantage to a twin piston compressor? I went to another hobby store and listened to a single piston and a twin piston...both were quieter than I expected but I believed the single to be a little louder which was not what I was expecting.

The twin was made by Sparmax (Air Delivery 28LPM with a 45dB Noise Rating info from web)...I think the single was Paasche. The twin is a bit pricey but may be worth it...I felt it was very quiet when under pressure.

Just curious if there are any advantages to one with twin pistons (never used one). If I go that route I am also going to do some type of sound proofing box around the unit to reduce noise levels even more but I guess 45db is pretty darn quiet.

The silent air $600 usd + range say "noiseless" and are rated at 40db...

There is the TC2000 and the TC5000 (2.5 liter tank).

I am having thoughts of chunking out the extra cash for the TC5000 because I like tank type and the idea of it running only to fill the tank when needed.

Thoughts?

JM

As previously stated - scrounge an old fridge compressor.

My setup:

- old fridge compressor - free from junkyard

- old truck compressed air bottle (cca 10l) - free from junkyard

- air hose - cca 1 m, at 2USD/m

- misc. fittings, T-sections, electrical cable etc - about 20USD worth

- pressure regulator with filter and gauge - about 50 USD

- an hydro-pack presostat - about 20USD

Works like a charm for the past 15 years

I used to have a fairly simple setup using a noisy compressor to fill a small air tank (the type you find at Wal mart, 13 Gallon I think) during times it was OK to be loud, then I would have silent air when I needed silence. Now I uses an Iwata Smartjet, which isn't as silent as a tank, but not too loud either (I have a toddler as well). The smartjet is about as loud as a loud cat purr when it runs, and it has auto shutoff. This is certainly more expensive than the free junkyard options, but it is also extremely portable--I need to be able to set up, paint, and break down each session.

Most quiet compressor I've used is the Iwata Smartjet compressor. It only kicks on when you spray (it has a tiny tank reservoir that pressurizes) and it has a moisture trap and pressure regulator. When the compressor is on, it sounds very quiet compared to what I used to use (a really old Badger Whirlwind). Price for it may be above your $200 level cap, but they are worth it. I've had mine for 5 years and it has never let me down or gotten louder. It also improved the quality of spraying from my Aztek 470 airbrush.

i purchased THIS a couple of months ago.

Has a slight noise to it but barely enough to make you take any notice, plus it has a tank so only comes on when needed and at my building/painting rate is not alot, its never woken my kids 2 floors above or annoyed my wife :yahoo:

For the price i am not sure what compares.....

You can get refrigerator compressoers from a used appliance shops that sells old refrigerator and also parts. They have refrigerator compressors and motors. I'm not sure of the price but they are quiet.

Automotive mechanic repair shops have one large compressor located far from the work area. 1/2" cooper lines run from the compressor along the walls of the shop at waist height with fittings to plug in air tool lines. Copper lines like this would permit you to stick the compressor in the garage and run copper lines to your air brush area......if the air brush area is near the garage etc. It probably isn't.......but maybe it is. I wonder if remotely located compressors could be a problem in winter if the compressor tank is in an unheated garage in a cold area of the country? You could be airbrushing in a 72F room with sub zero compressed air from your garage. If the garge was -10F...then the air in the tank would be even colder when it was released from the pressurized tank during air brushing. Which might be a problem with acylics?.........I'm not sure.....just something to consider.

Co2 is heavier than air IIRC......so using it in a basement with kids in the house would be a bad idea in my books. Also....if you do go with Co2......make sure the tanks are secured so they can't fall over.....800psi will drive one of those through a concrete blook wall.....if the tank fell over and broke off the top valve.

Has a slight noise to it but barely enough to make you take any notice, plus it has a tank so only comes on when needed and at my building/painting rate is not alot, its never woken my kids 2 floors above or annoyed my wife :yahoo:

For the price i am not sure what compares.....

That looks like an excellent little rig if the noise is low.

Hi RichyJ :P

Has a slight noise to it but barely enough to make you take any notice

The page doesn't say the dB level of the motor. Is there any dB figure on the user manual or whatever other papers came with the compressor. If the noise is low, it is a VERY interesting purchase. It looks small and if it is silent... I would tolerate a bit more noise that my current motor is making (very low, being a refrigerator motor) for the decrease in size...

Thanks for the link!

Raúl

The documentation dosen't really say much about its sound level, but it does seem identical to this This (Look at the TC-20T) which gives a noise level of 59 db which more than tolerable for being next to it and the rest of the people in my house, plus as it has the tank it is not on that much anyway. Not sure how that compares with other compressors out there though.

Hi Richy :monkeydance:

The documentation dosen't really say much about its sound level, but it does seem identical to this This (Look at the TC-20T) which gives a noise level of 59 db which more than tolerable for being next to it and the rest of the people in my house, plus as it has the tank it is not on that much anyway. Not sure how that compares with other compressors out there though.

Thanks a lot for the information. I'll keep an eye on this kind of compressors :woo:

Raúl

FYI I went with the Sparmax TC5000. It was a bit more than I wanted to spend but the wife twisted my arm. LOL!

It is very quiet with a remote hanger/moisture trap with multi connection points which is great since now I can have all my brushes at the ready without a line swap.

It's auto shut off so it won't run constantly which is something I wanted...it just seemed to fit my needs on all points.

Here is a pic linky http://www.rexart.com/product11942.html

This is 1000 times better than what I had so I am very excited...I can get my projects moving again since I have been on hold due to noise.

FYI I went with the Sparmax TC5000.

Congratulations! The compressor looks really great, and it is not very expensive either (given that airbrushing compressors tend to cost A LOT, just like any other thing related with modelling...).

Enjoy it!

Raúl