Hey Gents

So I suppose here I am, well I have managed to scrounge 2 matchbox Kits, the 72 BF 109E for this time round and I will save the 72 Supermarine Stranraer for next time.. I have also found an Airwaves PE sets, but I don't know whether to use it or not, What is missing are the decals so I don't yet know what finish I will be applying.

But for now pix.

P7152035.JPG

P7152036.JPG

The 2 above , how i received the kit, most parts cut loose

P7152037.JPG

Above the plastic

P7152039.JPG

The copied plans

P7152040.JPG

and some tin.

Thanks for looking

Graeme

Way too cool!

This was my first ever model kit, got me started down a long slippery slope!

Looking forward to seeing how you do, when I built it first time it was built painted, decaled and flying in an afternoon!

Julien

Yip remember those day all to well, Oh and whole 2" squeeze tube was almost not enough to finish it. :salute:

Yep! and big glue finger prints on the model! :wasntme:

Those were the day, we did not know what a seam was, what putty was and if someone had mentioned FS numbers we would have said Urh?? Brown was urr.... brown, not hang on I have 10 shades of brown in the paint tray, which do I use?

I also remember those drunk models, or how about building with the gear up and hanging from the ceiling using mums thread and drawing pins!

Julien

Edited by Julien (UK)

Well I have been pottering around a bit. and decided that I will not use the PE set that I have but rather scratch and steal some plastic from an Academy kit and use the PE for the more modern kit, but the pedals look really crap, and as the PE set has 3 pairs i will use one of these. I don't want to have a accurate pit , as the canopy will be closed , so I just want it to look like there is something there that resembles something more than a void.

Here is a pic of what i have to date so far, still have to tweak it a bit more, but am on track to complete by October.

pit.JPG

later

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys, me back again

But I beg thee all please go slowly with me , besides the flettner that I have under the hellies, this is my first Plane and its all you fault, was a devoted tank, truck and car builder till you all lead me down this path of no return.

This is a major learning curve for me, Plenty filling and sanding, and then this scribing thing to get rid of the raised panel lines that were on the plane, left the wings as is.

This is where I am so far:

109_1.JPG

109_2.JPG

109_3.JPG

Thanks for looking, and please any comments gladly welcomed

Later

hey Ray they are not bad at all, dont know why i have never built them < must have arround 100 planes that i have collected over the years, but none built.

Enough of that this is where i am now.

109_camo_2.JPG

109_camo_1.JPG

Any comments please, will be greatly appreciated.

Later

Well guys , the Decals are on although I am a bit peeved , the decal sheet that I used is from an academy kit, ( i ordered a new decal sheet to replace this one and just as well) and some of the crosses were not printer properly and have a white shadow, which i discovered to late, so they are on shadow and all, will just mask a bit and blast with some paint.

Oh and the academy decals are super thin, soak then soak again and when you think they are ready, Soak again.

109_dec_1.JPG

109_dec_2.JPG

Just have to dirty her up a bit , get her on her legs and i think she will be about done.

Comments most welcome.

Later

Well gents these will be the last pix before i put up the final ones,have dirtied her up put her legs on and ready for finishing. I think this little plane looks ok and I like it.

109_1.JPG

109_2.JPG

Appologies for the poor quality of the above pic.

109_3.JPG

109_4.JPG

Comments appreciated Please.

Very, very nice!

My one slight comment is that the spine camo is a tad too narrow.

Mind you, this has to be the nicest of the Me109 schemes. Love all the straight splinter!

:)

MikeJ

Guys thanks a lot for the kind comments, they are greatly appreciated.

Mike , your comments made me do some more surfing, the spine is correct I think but I did notice that the wingtips need to be yellow, I was working off a black and white picture, hence the mistake.

Thanks Mike, I quickly rectified it and finished the little Girl.

Here she is

bf_109_fin_1.JPG

bf_109_fin_2.JPG

bf_109_fin_3.JPG

bf_109_fin_4.JPG

bf_109_fin_5.JPG

Thanks Guys

Graeme

Like the finished product. I was going to say that the spine camo looked too narrow as well, but you've already spoken to that. I haven't seen any 109s myself with such a narrow camo job on the spine, could you direct me to the link or pic that you came across? I've been on a 109E kick as of late and this would certainly be something different for me to consider doing.