Kuttelwascher's Night Reaper

Just finished this today.

Piece of background history, shamelessly copied from http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/theaircraft/hurricanepz865.cfm.

Hurricane IIc BE581, ‘Night Reaper’, the aircraft flown by the Czech fighter ace Flt Lt Karel Kuttelwascher DFC* during night intruder operations from Tangmere in 1942 with the RAF’s legendary No 1(F) Squadron. In only 15 night intruder missions ‘Kut’, as he was know to his colleagues, shot down 15 enemy bombers (3 in one night on 5 May 1942) over their own airfields in France; he also damaged a further five bombers and shot up several steam locomotives and ‘E’ boats. The single-seat Hurricanes were not radar equipped, so targets could only be found visually and without the benefit of modern aids to night vision. With their Hurricanes fitted with long-range drop tanks, night intruder pilots flew long sorties of 3 to 3½ hours, often in poor conditions and completely alone. ‘Kut’s aircraft, BE581 ‘JX-E’, wore the ‘Night Reaper’ motif on the starboard engine cowling and ‘Kut’ had swastika ‘kill’ symbols painted under the cockpit on the port side. When his three kills from the night of 5 May 1942 were added there were 11 swastika symbols displayed (‘Kut’ eventually achieved a total of 18 confirmed kills). The aircraft’s rudder and a panel on the port wing had to be replaced with black-painted items from a ‘Turbinlite’ Hurricane (BD770) due to ‘flak’ damage incurred by BE581 on that sortie. ‘Kut’ survived the war but died in 1959 from a heart attack – he was only 42.

This is the Hasegawa kit, with aftermarket decals, tires, canopy, gun barrels and anti-glare shields.

On to the pictures...

IMG_2080.jpg

IMG_2082.jpg

IMG_2085.jpg

IMG_2083.jpg

IMG_2084.jpg

And here it is in the bookshelf, the horseshoe in the background is WWII German. My granddad kept it after the Germans pulled out of Norway in '45.

IMG_2087.jpg

My display case from IKEA, on top is the result of the GF asking me to buy a flower...a pineapple plant.

IMG_2088.jpg

Very nice indeed. It's always nice to see a bit-o-history behind the work. Great job!

I think you should do a little plackard to go with this aircraft for your display cabinet as the history is just so fascinating... especially for the casual viewer.

-Greg

Thanks for the comments guys!

As for the color debate, the decal sheet came with options for both. I figured it was just the same plane at different times. I strayed from the decal sheet instructions and painted/decalled it like the plane presently flown by the RAF's bbmf.

Thanks again

Ken