1/48 AC-130U - back on the road.

Kel - Yeah Cheers I get what you mean now! :salute:

Not wanting to disbelieve you, but I'm still not sure. On my shot I reckon it does look very grey, but have a look at these two - one taken by my friend Paul of 89-0510 arriving at Mildenhall, and another from airliners.net.

Maybe it is the darker greys of the Spooky tricking my eyes into thinking the nose looks bluey. Either way, I know the colour I showed on the "colour test" thing is far too blue, I will be mixing in a whole bunch of grey.

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-phot...6/8/1470867.jpg

1470867.jpg

Paul's Shot:

Port89-0510-1.jpg

To me, they still look pretty blue, Could be wrong though, you probably know more about it than I do!

Andrew, heres one that I've been using from Wikipedia. Bit irritating as it shows all the extra stuff that needs to be put into the flap sections!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b...130_gunship.jpg

Ac130_gunship.jpg

Edited by OriginalMonty
That looks like Africa! I must say I don't miss Dyess..... and those old H-1s

Curt

Nailed it Curt! I think that was at Ethiopia. I think I will be here until the Flight Engineers go and the J models take over. Try to make SMSgt and put in my paperwork. Who knows....

Curt, what is your opinion of that AC-130 nose? Do you think it is a replacement from the slick world or a different color all together? Kel

Nailed it Curt! I think that was at Ethiopia. I think I will be here until the Flight Engineers go and the J models take over. Try to make SMSgt and put in my paperwork. Who knows....

Curt, what is your opinion of that AC-130 nose? Do you think it is a replacement from the slick world or a different color all together? Kel

Went there in 05 to fix a broke plane it rained the size of tennis balls for 10 minutes. the time it took me to change and rig an elevator trim tab! It was a a flawless change! God was with me. Gode

Replacement from a slick for sure...

Curt

Edited by C-130CrewChief

Even though you've already got it all figured out, I can guarantee it is a replacement. Not quite from a slick though, as the U-model's radome is a specific part. Still has radome anti-icing, some extra bracketry (is that a word?) and some special coating for the radar. All of our replacement radomes come in that color and are repainted when they get around to it. Refurb or depot, usually.

OK, Im ready for painting bar the final sanding, tomorrow hopefully.

Masking the canopy:

IMG_9489.jpg

And installing:

IMG_9493.jpg

IMG_9490.jpg

Testing out some of the Archer Decals - the film on these is very thin, so you need to varnish or seal them in pretty much straight away to prevent them from just coming off. That said, they will be great when under the paint - the film should be completely invisible! :D

IMG_9491.jpg

IMG_9492.jpg

A few photos of a further engine run to ensure the electrics all still work (that's my excuse, I just like running the thing! :D)

IMG_9481.jpg

IMG_9512-1.jpg

IMG_9525.jpg

IMG_9522-1.jpg

And the final load of milliput to clean all the edges off. A bit industrial in the application, but it will all sand out OK in the end.

IMG_9547-1.jpg

IMG_9548-1.jpg

Getting there!

Ben

OK, a bit more done tonight. All "finer detail". I added the two long strips running down the length of the fuselage, which will be sanded down to very thin. Then built up that big round top aerial. also added the first half of the front two sensors near the cockpit, and the slipway lighting (as requested Curt, but I'm still working on that too!).

Not quite ready to paint as I thought, there is always something else to do!!

IMG_9570.jpg

IMG_9565.jpg

Ben

Edited by OriginalMonty

Well, I'm home again, and the airbrush was straight out!

So here you go - paint!

IMG_9593.jpg

Oh - and some progress on the 25mm. Bit stuck with the 105 - the barrel snapped a while back, and I reglued it with brass rod support, but it keep s coming apart. Aaargh!

IMG_9596.jpg

IMG_9598.jpg

Tasty rivets....

IMG_9599.jpg

Mini Monty working on his AC-47 Spooky, whilst my Spooky II dries.

IMG_9597.jpg

IMG_9603.jpg

And got a coat of nose colour (I think!) done. I varnished the paint next to the nose, but this didnt stop the tamiya tape peeling some of it off. So this shot is a little photoshopped to give you a better impression.

IMG_9613.jpg

Pretty close?

I'm aiming to get the painting complete tomorrow, and maybe the weathering started the day after.

Ben

Edited by OriginalMonty
Yeah, I didnt actually use the Citadel colours for the overall colour - only for small bits of black and stuff. The grey is Xtracrylix RAF Extra Dark Sea Grey, and the nost is a mix of Humbrol 47 and 147.

Ahh I see. Thanks for clearing that up. PS..you guys have the same desk light I have on my bench at home :cop:

Probably a half and half - not too clean, but not filthy either. I'm trying to model the aircraft as it was when I saw it (only time I have seen one!). I'll probably try and fade the gunshi[ grey a bit, and do lots of oil staining, and smoke staining on the underside.

Didnt get very far yesterday, but the gunship grey is all varnished now so I can mask the division line between the top and bottom colours. I'm going to try doing this my using a piece of paper for the division, raised of the surface 2mm or so, so the demarkation line is slightly feathered.

Ben

Probably a half and half - not too clean, but not filthy either. I'm trying to model the aircraft as it was when I saw it (only time I have seen one!). I'll probably try and fade the gunshi[ grey a bit, and do lots of oil staining, and smoke staining on the underside.

Didnt get very far yesterday, but the gunship grey is all varnished now so I can mask the division line between the top and bottom colours. I'm going to try doing this my using a piece of paper for the division, raised of the surface 2mm or so, so the demarkation line is slightly feathered.

Ben

Real men do it by hand .. no masking required :taunt:

You guys are funny!

How about this........

I got to crawl around an AC-130U in Depot with a brand new fresh paint job on it last week at Warner Robins AFB in Georgia!!! I think they painted it by hand..........

Curt

Just had to razz ya some.. You two guys and your gunships have been a lot of fun for me! Keep up the excellent work!