Single seat Me 262 Night Fighter?

Mike,

In November 1944, 10/NJG 11 " Kommando Welter" commanded by Kurt Welter opperated a small group of Bf-109s and Me-262s in the night fighting role seeming to counter the Mosquito threat. Karl-Heinze Becker scored his first 262 night victory on Feb. 21, 1945 over Berlin by shooting down a Mosquito from 692 squadron. The unit scored a number of night victories with the single seat 262. See Kagero #38 "Me 262 Units" by M. Murawski for full information.

Regarding the profile. Cannot find any photos of NJG11 262s at the moment. The upper color scheme is consistant with one of the known factory color schemes and the all black underside is consistant with other 262 night fighters. Personally, I would go with it.

HTH,

Dave

I would be very doutful weather this manufacturer has done a very good research.

Looking at the decal sheet he says:

white 17 is JG2 !! is in fact EJG 2, see Me 262, vol 3, p.602, and decal sheet not even korrect, only known mount of Bär is red 13, p 619.

white 6 is JG 44 !!! would be JV 44, a/c was with JV44, but if it was flown by Steinhoff is quitionable, unless manufacturer has copy of steinhoff logbook, aircraft had been flown by, Fw. Frans Steiner ref. JV 44, p. 125.

JG 7 plane is correct, ME 262, vol. 4, p. 736

not able to find any photo of NJG 11 plane red 2, but Becker did fly a red 2, ref Me 262. vol. 3, p. 455.

so decals could be based on speculation scheme.

cheers

Jes

Edited by Touvdal
Mike,

In November 1944, 10/NJG 11 " Kommando Welter" commanded by Kurt Welter opperated a small group of Bf-109s and Me-262s in the night fighting role seeming to counter the Mosquito threat. Karl-Heinze Becker scored his first 262 night victory on Feb. 21, 1945 over Berlin by shooting down a Mosquito from 692 squadron. The unit scored a number of night victories with the single seat 262. See Kagero #38 "Me 262 Units" by M. Murawski for full information.

Regarding the profile. Cannot find any photos of NJG11 262s at the moment. The upper color scheme is consistant with one of the known factory color schemes and the all black underside is consistant with other 262 night fighters. Personally, I would go with it.

HTH,

Dave

Thanks, Dave. I wanted to do a 262A and 262B and I found the A with black undersides intriguing. I think I'll do it!

Thanks for the trust, but I am geting old and my hands are shaking, :lol: , but have always a 109 or 190 in the production line so soon !!! :salute:

Mike, why put a lot of effort into building a kit, (you are buildings are of a very high standard I know :) ), and then paint it something that was not. But if you are considering going down that road, why would the singel seaters not have the same camo as the two seaters, 76/75 upper surface ??

ES are doing some nice and well researched sheets

http://www.eagle-editions.com/decal29.htm

http://www.eagle-editions.com/decal44.htm

cheers

Jes

Jes,

I was going to try to do a night fighter theme for this GB and I thought a 262A with black undersides would be interesting. I'll have to think on this one a bit. I know for sure I'll be doing the Revell 262B as "Red 10" from NJG 11.

But if you are considering going down that road, why would the singel seaters not have the same camo as the two seaters, 76/75 upper surface ??

Didn't "Red 8" have it's upper wings done in darker colors? The last few years of the war were so chaotic that anything was possible. Interesting discussion if nothing else! :worship:

Edited by The Mikester

Came across this, no idea if it's accurate or not:

On 28 January 1945, the unit initially known as Sonderkommando Stamp, named after its founder and then Sonderkommando Welter, was re-designated 10./NJG 11 at Burg-Magdeburg. The unit was equipped with Messerschmitt Me 262 jet fighters. His first aerial victory flying the Me 262 was claimed on the night of 5 January 1945. [7] Welter claimed 20+ Mosquitos and two four-engine bombers shot down by night and two further Mosquitos by day while flying the Me 262. Welter tested a prototype Me 262 B-1a/U1 fitted with SN-2 Lichtenstein radar, however the majority of Welter's 20+ jet victories were achieved in standard radarless Me 262 aircraft.

In addition to what Mike posted, NJG-11's single seat 262s were standard production airframes as they came into service. These would, bearing the absence of photos, in all likelihood been painted in the standard day fighter schemes leaving the factory.

The two seat versions were purpose built as night fighters and would have left the factory in the current night fighter schemes. A number of the two seaters were 'greened up' using the late war 80 series paints.

HTH,

Dave

Wow. This thread's got some very good information in it for sure! Not to venture off topic too far, but with the introduction of the later second seat, what was done with the fuel tank behind the pilot in present in the single seaters?

Wow. This thread's got some very good information in it for sure! Not to venture off topic too far, but with the introduction of the later second seat, what was done with the fuel tank behind the pilot in present in the single seaters?

Not sure, but it appears that most of the 262B's night fighters photograped had dual drop tanks. If the fuel tank was removed these may have been a necessity for anything but fairly short flights.

Not sure, but it appears that most of the 262B's night fighters photograped had dual drop tanks. If the fuel tank was removed these may have been a necessity for anything but fairly short flights.

Yeah, that was what I was wondering. As the practice for many night fighter engagements was to "linger" in a selected area and almost "wait" rather than the seek out and pounce approach attempted that worked well during daylight hours. Having a fully loaded up 262 nightfighter with the droptanks too would be a nice loadout and mean looking aircraft...

Thanks for the info Mike!

njg11.jpg

And "Red 2" re-appears! I ordered this decal sheet (Extratech this time) to do Welter's "Red 10" and was surprised to see "Red 2" portayed in all it's black bottomed glory! I think it's an omen. :monkeydance:

Edited by The Mikester