Got the wings on the charmer:

091109003.jpg

This man is attending with a wodge of overdraft and he'll pay the going rate for about ten bottles of assorted Alclad lacquer

Six, as it transpired... This is not the easiest build I've attempted, contrary to previous expectations! Still, I bought another two of them for various reasons last week, so the next time I approach an Hasegawa 234, it will be with less expectation & awe, and more masterful behaviour. And filler, quite possibly...

Meantime, I will chastise this model until it relents :)

Did yours have fitting issues too, sir? If I hadn't just built a Hasegawa that was subtle as anything and held together like a Tamiya Beau, I'd be using the word 'overrated' here...

Look forward to seeing another one (will you put up the pics?)

Oh yeah, I had fit issues. Mainly the front clear cockpit parts to the main fuselage join. Watch that one, otherwise no major issues.

Im having some trouble with the paint right now. Appearently, the RLM 75 spots on RLM 76 is in accurate, modelers have been doing it that way for a while. The true scheme was an RLM -76 squiggle over RLM 75. So im now sanding the paint down and Im gonna try again.

Here's where Im at now with mine.

http://www.maritimemodellers.com/forums/vi...?f=21&t=228

Edited by Charlie Cheetah

Kind of struggeling my way through this build. First a major setback, was polishing the windscreen to get rid of the seem, almost ready and the windscreen cracked. I almost decided too quit this build but I glued and polished the d*** thing and it is smooth now, but the crack will not go away, so I guess that ruins my chances for best model of the year :sunrevolves:

Put the first colour on the cockpit after that a drybrush. That is how far I am now.

start019-2.jpg

start020-1.jpg

start021-2.jpg

start022-2.jpg

start023-2.jpg

start024-2.jpg

Hope it will turn out a bit, and that the masking is good enough.......

Rick.

Things went horribly wrong over here. First I managed too break one of the clear parts. Fixed it but it will be visible I am afraid.

Ahem. Wouldn't be this bit, would it by any chance? :thumbsup:

151109canopies.gif

Front dome (for reasons best known to themselves) Hasegawa moulded with a dirty great big seam down the middle. Why? Presumably there is a reason why they didn't do this horizontally as the much-vilified Hobbycraft more sensibly did, along the seams as per the real thing. I can't see why it's this way, and this isn't a double bubble like everyone's favourite BGJ the F-16 so shouldn't need it. Maybe it's a little thanks to all the loyal fans who need a rest from all the filling and sanding.

Anyway, I looked, cursed and got out the 6-way polisher. And I thought I was going to get away with it for a change, but on level-5 the darn thing split. Many more curses resulted. I can't even use a vac (got one lying around) as the canopy supports the radar - in this interpretation of the B2/N anyway. How joyous is this?

I was forced to break into my other Arado Nachtigall (and you can imagine how much I liked that: I keep as much of my stash as possible 'virgin' against the day when I get made unemployed. Having to sell it will be bad enough, having to take pennies for an opened box might just produce tears.)

With a heavy heart I extracted the #2 canopy (it's not even particularly easy to get it off the sprue) and utterly stuffed it's clear beauty with the level-1 sander. Then slowly, painfully polished it to some semblance of clarity. This was done with a polystyrene 'peanut' held inside the dome this time to give it some rigidity, breath was held, prayers uttered and concentration allotted. Still, every so often the polisher would slip and I'd have to go back three grades and start all over again. Smiling all the way, of course :wub:

To my surprise it survived, is not knackered this time round, and is getting 48 hours in the Klear to recuperate. As are my nerves, more importantly.

Small work on the cockpit pushes this one on a little:

151109_3_002.jpg

It would be together, but I just found the oxygen regulator so out with the Tamiya blue and I guess a wash after. We are getting there. And you, Rick?

9edited for speling}

Edited by Patrick_Nevin
Ahem. Wouldn't be this bit, would it by any chance? :salute:

151109canopies.gif

That is the part. No chance that there was a wire running there I guess......

I am in the middle of moving my building stuff into another room, got tired of spending my free time between the laundry. In a couple of days up and running I hope....

And yes I will get there just as you Patrick. Really enjoy doing a build like this. Next time we pick a kit which falls together easy ok?

Cheers Rick.

Edited by vvwse4
Next time we pick a kit which falls together easy ok?

I hear such things about H*s*g*w* 109's in the 32nd scale, sir - and you're on! Got any of those? Or 21st Century ones, if you grabbed any while they were cheap? :bandhead2:

Figure this is what they call a 'character building experience' though. Glad you're still here.

Patrick

PS Cheers too, Charlie C. Can we see pictures of the 'third Arado'? Not least as - if I get this right - both if not all of these ones are going to be sprayed using the same type brush. You got an (infinity) a while back didn't you, Rick? I contained my envy for a whole year. Do you get on with it? :cheers:

PPS I am going to fill my busted canopy with Milliput (slow time) and see if it can be used as a mould...

I hear such things about H*s*g*w* 109's in the 32nd scale, sir - and you're on! Got any of those? Or 21st Century ones, if you grabbed any while they were cheap? :)

Figure this is what they call a 'character building experience' though. Glad you're still here.

Patrick

PS Cheers too, Charlie C. Can we see pictures of the 'third Arado'? Not least as - if I get this right - both if not all of these ones are going to be sprayed using the same type brush. You got an (infinity) a while back didn't you, Rick? I contained my envy for a whole year. Do you get on with it? :)

PPS I am going to fill my busted canopy with Milliput (slow time) and see if it can be used as a mould...

Hi Patrick,

Yep got the infinety and yep I like it a lot!!!! And yep, need a lot of practice more also :)

I see a H******A 109G-14/AS, it looks like a beauty too me, but I cannot find it in Holland. 21st Century is not available over here also. Saw a revieuw of the P40E from the same company , liked that a lot too, is a special by sprue brothers but the customs over here never seem too give me a break :woot.gif:

T******A is way over budget I am afraid.

I have a Hobbycraft Mustang Mk1A, but do not know wheter that falls together easy.

We'll figure something out.

Rick.

PS Cheers too, Charlie C. Can we see pictures of the 'third Arado'? Not least as - if I get this right - both if not all of these ones are going to be sprayed using the same type brush. You got an (infinity) a while back didn't you, Rick? I contained my envy for a whole year. Do you get on with it? :)

Hey Patrick... Its still my first Arado kit, But I think its at least my 3rd attempt at finishing it. I started it, then put it aside for awhile. pick it up again, then set it aside for a while. I'm on my third attempt now, just setting it down long enough to get the paint started on my 1/32 CF-18. I think Im on my 3rd atempt at painting the Arado too. Like I said, this kit is tempting my patience. I've been a bit more tolerant since my hospital scare/stay.

I dont have an Infinity A/B yet, though I have been looking at one closely. Im currently using a Badger 175 Crescendo which needs a new fine nozzle tip and needle. The medium set is actually not tooo bad, I just dont have enough control of the air flow as Id like.

While Im waiting for the primer to cure on the Hornet, I may try and see what I can do with the paint on my Arado. Stay tuned.

While Im waiting for the primer to cure on the Hornet, I may try and see what I can do with the paint on my Arado. Stay tuned.

Yes, indeed, bated breath - are you better, sir? Hope so. Missed the illness thread but it can't have been fun :thumbsup:

'Third Arado' as in, you're unofficially in this build now. Pictures! :)

Brushes, indeed. I'll probably use my Sparmax for the splinter but I'm kicking myself: the Bonow machine is reverse mottle 74/75, and the H&S would ace it. Though really I bought mine for - I hope - thin 'wandering line' camouflage, and mottles in 1/144th...

Rick: Hobbycraft Mustang probably will fall together. And if you listen carefully you'll probably be able to hear the sound of experts' teeth chattering at the thought. I may have to find one, in fact! I do have many of their 109's (and for that matter one of their Do17's crawling along the build queue) and they will ALL require work... :)

Finally managed too finish something on this one. The office is done. A couple of pics before buttoning everything up.

Lovely, sir!

We're about in the same place (though I've got more filling to do afterwards.

211109_002.jpg

Just remembered the inside of the periscope and am rapidly painting this. If it's any use, I ended up spreading the side walls of the cockpit with a cut-down cocktail stick because they fell naturally narrower than the cockpit roof:

211109_005.jpg

Having done (and cursed) the brake lines etc, working on the remainder. There's an antenna bracket on the inside of the front dome and I tried 2 or 3 adhesives before losing patience and hitting the cyano. Surprisingly, it didn't craze the glass :rofl: 10-1 bet: the stag-horns DO NOT MEET in the middle...

Also having put the instrument wires onto the main panel, we're back to wondering about the gunsight. I am copying Eduard part 84 in bell wire - thicker: the u-bit in pic 1 - and then plan to bolt a Quickboost Revi 16B onto the top of it (the out of focus sprue in the first shot.) Give it a go...

A few pieces of tape and......look what the cat brought in!

Nice...

I appear to have won the battle - for now - with the tape. IP in:

221109_4apsd.jpg

Note the pilot's end of the periscope (top left.) This was evidently designed to work with the outside bit as it meshes with it. I'm blowed if I'm putting a stick-out bit on the model until all the filing is over so cut off the teeth and fitted it now. Also I lengthened the Eduard loom as - on the NASM machine at least - it goes up the knee-height holes at the end of the side consoles. Maybe it was my routing...anyway, I put some more wire on the ends and used cyano for that. Surprisingly, a bit of cut-up coffee stained Post-It note succeeded in keeping the inside of the canopy from crazing :cheers:

The whole lot epoxied and (after a couple of false starts!) taped and left to set:

221109_1apsd.jpg

Sadism sir, you should be ashamed :D

Indeed!! ;)

Been working on the wheelbays and the main gear. Something must be wrong because everything kinda fell together, turned uot to be quite easy going this time. I used the landing gear from Airwaves, kindly donated by Patrick, and I had too cut away a piece of the original gear, hope it shows.

start033-1.jpg

start034-1.jpg

start035.jpg

Also made a dryfit of the wheelbays and not much of all this will be visible when done. I know it´s there......

Rick.

Wow, looking good guys. Well Im waiting for some confirmation about a few details on my CF-18, maybe its time to get some work done on my Nichtigall before you guys get too far ahead.

Ahead?! (we still want to see pictures - go on, you owe us!)

Huh, about ten minutes after my last pic I had to rip the cockpit roof off to restore the battery box (fell off), the pilot's seat (wobbling) and make another of those things just behind the pilot's left shoulder (I can't find it in the carpet, who knows.) Then we got onto the main gear and the fun REALLY started :P

I got to bed an hour later than planned but the beast is back again:

DSC_0009.jpg

(The white is Gator Glue and it's dried clear. We're having more of that...)

Like what Rick did with the metal legs. I lacked the nerve...

Well I got distracted by all those 1/32 modern weapons with my Academy Hornet. Darned newfangled wunderkits.

I have pictures of the failed painting attemp, will that do for now? I dont have alot of pics of the build, we had a computer crash over the summer, lost all the pics that wern't uploaded to Photobucket yet. This kit was intended for a club group build with a Loabour Day 2008 deadline. Needless to say, It didnt make it. The kit has been put aside twice for months. I have it aside right now but only coz Im on a roll with the big Hornet kit.

The cockpit before sealing it up. Eduard PE used here also.

Arado004.jpg

Arado007.jpg

Flaps cut out. I hope this works

Arado003.jpg

And the failed paint job which has since been sanded down, gonna try an RLM 76 spaggetti pattern over RLM 75 with a black bottom.

Arado012.jpg

Arado014.jpg