The fun begins. This is what we have

start001-2.jpg

start002-2.jpg

So I made a modest start, dryfitted some parts

start004-2.jpg

start005-2.jpg

And glued the first small pieces together. I usually build a larger scale, man this is a lot smaller!!

start003-2.jpg

There is a lot of PE too be attached too some parts, so I am really curious how it will look like in a while.

Oh yeah, Patrick your inbox is full.

Rick

Didn't know this kit existed until I saw it on the RoG website just this morning. Too bad it isn't in 1/32nd scale.

Someone wants to extend the timescale and make us both rich, I'm sure we'd be mutually up for the MDC one and some scratchbuilding :jaw-dropping: Meantime, I belatedly join with the Hasegawa version which I gather is what Revell reboxed - and long may this fine practice of releasing high quality plastic in rubbish boxes with vast price discounts continue...

041009001.jpg

Started thinking about what to do here, wondering if the engines can be added at a late stage in order to aid the splinter scheme on the Bisping bird. ISTR the inside surface of the nacelles being interesting to mask otherwise :wacko: The entire nose section is glass, which I can see may sort some pitfalls (but maybe cause others...)

Also, have been browsing R. 'Mike' Crosley's excellent memoir "They Gave Me A Seafire" which (besides being the funniest military memoir I've yet read) goes into some detail about deflection shooting. Given that Cdr Crosley's first hand experience suggests it's darn difficult to hit even a slow target with a tuned fighter, am thinking maybe the B2/N got shot of the Lofte bombsight (as provided in the kit) for a reflector gunsight in order to have a chance of hitting anything at all. Hmm, where, though? Off the small panel perhaps, or hanging from a wire?! Rick, can I put one in? Would that be cheating?

Looked at the Eduard with the usual mix of admiration and fear - the control surface balances in particular look exasperating - and determine to use as much as possible. Usual limiting factor is losing bits, but I figure a cocktail stick with wax on it may be a good weapon against the carpet monster :blink:

OK....

Rick, can I put one in? Would that be cheating?

Looked at the Eduard with the usual mix of admiration and fear - the control surface balances in particular look exasperating - and determine to use as much as possible. Usual limiting factor is losing bits, but I figure a cocktail stick with wax on it may be a good weapon against the carpet monster :thumbsup:

OK....

Hi Patrick,

No problem for me, do what you've got too do I believe. Never thought of a gunsight before, hmmm

Got the same feeling about the Eduard stuff, must look good when in place

Rick.

Edited by vvwse4

OK, very similar tentative look at the model. Quite pretty, and lots of detail, not sure about this gap though:

061009gapsahoypsd.jpg

Looks nasty and the huge gap on the inner flap edge (both sides) doesn't seem quite right either.

Thank You Chuck Norris Moment:

I had a nose round the excellent Modelling Madness site, and found Tom Cleaver's comprehensive review (he helped on the last one, too :thumbsup:) put me on guard for this:

061009tryfront2psd.jpg

The front bulkhead is meant to sit on (slightly inside) the ledge, but it won't without the help of Mr Sanding Stick. Hooray for the Internet :wub:

Right, time to play with the wheel bays...

Good start guy... BTW are you guys like sharing this thread i.e vvwse4 & Patrick_Nevin ???

You know thread are free right ...!!! you can each have your own ! :D

Cheers

Good start guy... BTW are you guys like sharing this thread i.e vvwse4 & Patrick_Nevin ???

You know thread are free right ...!!! you can each have your own ! :rolleyes:

Yep - it's cooler that way. Sooner or later we're going to do something different to one another and then the fur will fly...

Got the wings and some small parts together:

081009_3.gif

Had a look at the Airwaves wheels and legs - think I prefer the Hasegawa ones...

Did a tiny bit of etch work:

081009_2.gif

That 'box' on the pilot's left hand elbow (sorry, don't know what it is, isn't in the Eric Brown reference), the Eduard is perforated but the kit item is dimpled and has serrations round the edge to boot. I just drilled the OE item! Took half the strakes off the wheel bays in order to replace with etched items (using the other half as a reference, first.) Looked longingly at spare Aires wheel bay set...

Thought crosses my mind - the Eduard set has one pair of belts. The Nachtigall has two seats :worship:

Hi Patrick,

Good to see you accomplished something allready. I am stil middle in the progress of clearing the working bench.

start057.jpg

That PE is very, and I mean very, small. Looking good from here Patrick!!

Rick.

Thats awesome work so far! I'm liking this one a lot. There's just something about the look of the Ar 234's, and even though I can't put my finger on it, it's starting to show in this one you're building.

Thankyou both :cheers: Also Rick, who has managed to scare me with an even more busy workbench... Kostucha, you ought to see the swept-wing V16 bird, now that is pretty...

Various bits of my model are sitting under an initial coat of RLM66. This is of course too boring to picture. Today I have also discovered some of the limitations of the etch (of which more, anon), I have found seatbelts and far more importantly, the remains of the Hobbycraft canopy decals* from my last one ! (You wait, Rick - you'll know the moment when my joy here makes sense :cheers:)

Incredibly slow progress continues. I must be some kind of 'tard as the nacelles seem to want a curvier aerofoil than the wing has (and I glued this in three stages, to be careful.) This means filler and this also means my idea of attaching them after painting gets file 13'd. Look forward to seeing what Rick does and if this recurs for him (hope not.)

Put the drop-tank hardpoints on. The wrong way round (D'oh!) Cut 'em off again and re-affixed, red-faced.

Bash on! The coolest thing I have found so far in this build is a nail polish stick which has grades 1-6 on it. Previously I have ignored this as grades 2-6 were...effeminate. Now, I am converted - they really are pretty funky for making plastic look paintworthy. Must suggest the wife has a day of retail therapy, and make her breakfast before.

Patrick

* I was looking for my set of Heydrich 109 colours, after that silliness the other day. Alas, the dates are out of scope for DoTR. Probably for the best, all things considered :wub:

'Pit work :banana:

DSC_0006-1.jpg

The blinking seats are a pain with the little arms etc, but look all right to me now under the black oil wash which obscures the fine work on the frames (curses.) Belts next and the radar office at least is in. The goldfish bowl comes later...

I seem to have lost the Eduard film for the instruments so am using the paper backing instead. My advice to anyone trying similar is simple: don't. It blunts blades, cuts horribly and sticks to anything - other than the etch you're trying to mate it to.

To close the little darling up it's the rear pit and the main bays. Speaking of which:

121009002.jpg

Not a hundred percent convinced the Eduard is accurate here. Why?

1) The wiring ends in the middle of no-where. See the Aires bay? The Ed loom ends at the end of one of the braces. The Aires goes out the other side, up the port bay side, breaks out and feeds all the various rams etc. Easily sorted with some wire.

2) The Ed set is symmetrical - 2 identical looms, one for each side. Looks too neat by half - since I can't get to the NASM bird and my references don't do this bay...I'm going to trust Mr Aires, and will ape his layout. IIRC you can see very little indeed in a 234 bay when it's done unless you light the thing, but let's show some willing.

Patrick

Recovering from searching (desperately and destructively) a rather large portion of cave for the 234 decals, before reading his own whiteboard with the message saying where they'd been put away...

Recovering from searching (desperately and destructively) a rather large portion of cave for the 234 decals, before reading his own whiteboard with the message saying where they'd been put away...

Glad to see I'm not the only one.... :salute:

Cockpit's coming along very nicely. :banana:

Thank you both - I'm honoured :worship:.

Got the radar bay into the fuselage last night and tonight I did some stuff to the main bay. It isn't hugely accurate but I've sorted some things that even I couldn't ignore and hey, the thing looks a bit busier now, yes? :)

151009ul2.gif

(closer)

151009ul1.gif

Tomorrow it's clean up the various spills (I like cyano but I'm growing to LOVE Tamiya extra thin cement. Gucci stuff :)) Then prep, hopefully for the eventual 02 coat!

Patrick

{ the other guys are too busy loking at boring grey wingy thingy BUT WE ARE HERE !}

Getting embarrassed now :) Next time I'll take more honest pictures!

Holmes, are you coming in on this one then? The water's warm so as to speak, all welcome and you look at the participants here: there's a lot of help about should one need it. And the subject - each to his own, of course - but it's pretty cool, like :) Be good if you could join us...

Patrick

Maybe I should ressurrect my Naughtygal. Great work so far Patrick, I love the wheel bays.

Just a word of warning, watch the join between the clear nose parts and the grey plastic fuselage, mine had stepped out of allignment while the gluse set. Im gonna have to try to break it free again, so I can fix that, plus my ballast broke free too. Ill fix that at the same time.

Edited by Charlie Cheetah