1/32 A-7E VA-46 "DESERT STORM"

(never start with an apology....)

Sorry, no photos yet as I’m building this at work (during evenings). Spent all week on cockpit (Aires Seat) and getting fuselage halves together. I’m using the Zactoman correction set (and now really regret not buying his seamless intake as well). The quality of his resin is second to none, and was cleverly packaged so as to arrive in UK in one piece.

Whilst i had ever intention of waiting to not start this post until I had some pictures to show, I just needed the opportunity to vent off the delight that this Zacto resin is to work with, that and finding the following thred on LSP from the great man himself: http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.ph...st&p=230176

Sir if you get to read this, "Thank-you" - having got into a rut recently with my modeling, your set has enabled me to re-find my "mojo" (!)(?).

drop tanks....I’ve scaled up some drawings from the osprey books & will attempt a scratch build out of balsa (might regret committing to that statement!) and will hang some Mk20 rockeye cluster bombs supplied by another ARC member form his tamiya F-15E

• 1 month later...

A-7 is now approx 90% complete. As I'm building it at 'work' in the evenings I've not had a camera to take pictures - Sorry. However I'm going to attempt to transport home over the weekend so standby later today/tomorrow for some pictures.

Not sure I've enjoyed building this kit. Whilst grateful to trumpeter for providing an A-7 in 1/32, this kit has fought me all the way. (perhaps this is the real reason for my lack of "progress pictures" :crying2: ). That said i got the final varnish on last night and (to me ) the best moment of any kit construction, removed the masking from the canopy glass. Suddenly IMHO this kit is no longer looking like a dog's breakfast.

Question: the Sidewinder rails......I have found a ref that suggests that LAU/7 rails were used(?)(?). Certainly the kit supplied rails look way wrong. (Don't modern AIM-9L/M missiles cary the cooling nitrogen in the rail not the missile??). I'll be using 2 'winders from Academy F/A-18 and will attempt to modify some of their rails as well.

Edited by FIGHTS ON

IMG_2930.jpg

IMG_2931.jpg

CAM decals went on perfectly with no silvering (!) (a first in my experience with them). I know Victory Productions do a VA-46 scheme on their excellent A-7 sheet....tempted by their VA-25 version - if I could ever find the enthusiasm to do a 1/32 A-7 again..

Mk 20 cluster bombs nearly ready for adding.

Lovely paintwork and weathering on this A-7, Fights On. Nice job.

Sorry, no photos yet as I’m building this at work (during evenings)
I'm guessing there's more to this than meets the eye. You work away from home, right?!

I

Lovely paintwork and weathering on this A-7, Fights On. Nice job.

I'm guessing there's more to this than meets the eye. You work away from home, right?!

I

live in Portsmouth (right next to the Old airfield, HMS Daedalus), work at RNAS Yeovilton during week - great for just "popping into the FAA museum" for the ultimate references, not so good for being away from the family - having just recently returned from a "6-month'er away"

Did work alongside a couple of USN exchange pilots in the early '90s who'd done tours on A-7s. I see one is now a DCAG (name features on an Afterburner/Fightertown(?) decal sheet of a F/A-18E). Same pilot also has his name on a desert storm A-7E (VA-72). I gather the RN exchange (Sea Harrier) was a useful stepping stone for those who wanted to jump up to F/A-18s from the A-7. (Even had an A-6 pilot mid '90s across here for same reason). Not sure any of them rated the "steam driven" instruments & cockpit layout of the Sea Harrier very highly.

my next project is a 1/32 F/A-18D, having been inspired by MARCAEL111's recent ARC posting, and now having followed your link (Eastern post #15) and seen your Hornet I have loads of great references to follow.

Need to finish this A-7 first. 6x Rockeye Mk20s (from ARC'er ReccePhreak) in the final stages of painting and 2 x AIM-9Ls (Academy) with some LAU-& rails scratch built (Thanks Reddog for answer).