Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk. IXE

I'm just learning more and more about the Spitfire. I plan/hope to build a Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk. IXE out of the Tamiya 1/32 kit. My question is. Is it possible to build a LF Mk. IXE from the kit. If so what's needed to do so?

Thanks!

The 'LF' simply indicates which engine the aircraft is fitted with, specifically the supercharger is optimized for lower altitudes instead of higher. Often an 'LF' aircraft will have cropped wing tips, but that does not make it 'LF' Any Spitfire could have cropped wings just by replacing the tips.

The 'E' part is the significant part. LF IXE denotes a de-rated engine with the 'E' wing. I will let the real Spitfire experts provide more detail, but the 'E' wing usually did not have the outboard .303 guns, the 20mm cannon was fitted in the outer bay, and the inner one had a .5 mg with a stub fairing. This reverses the order usually seen with the 'C' wing where the cannon is in the inner bay, with a stub fairing beside and outboard. Bulges in the wing surface to fit the cannon and ammo are also swapped about.

1/32 isnt my scale, but from what I have gathered reading comments, some modeling skills will be needed to make an 'E' wing from what Tamiya gives you

If you're not overly bothered with having the guns on show, the differences centre mainly around the cannon bays. The 20mm cannon was moved out, to the outer position in the bay, and back, so that the ammunition fed from the aft tray. The cannon was replaced by a .5" Browning, which fed from the forward tray. Because the cannon was moved, the small (must be small; you can't use the broad) blister, on the bay cover, was also moved out, and back, to cover the new position of the feed mechanism, and the cannon fairing, on the wing l/e, needs to be shortened by a scale 6-8". The flashed-over hole, underneath, will need to be opened up, for the cannon ejection chute position. Although the muzzle, of the .5" could be seen, in the l/e casting, it was normal, when loaded and cocked, for it to be covered by the usual canvas patch, so you don't have to scratchbuild the muzzle, if you don't want to. Dedicated "E" armament wings had plain covers fitted, and no muzzle holes, for the redundant .303" bays, but it was acceptable for converted wings (and there's absolutely no way to know, if you can't see the l/e) to have a double thickness of the canvas patches stuck over the holes (possibly not red, which makes them even less visible.)

Going by the time-scale, it's likely that all IXe had the pointed "Mk.XII" rudder. The 5-spoke wheels will probably suffice, since the 4-spoke, being stronger, were intended for bomb-carrying Spitfires, initially, at least. If you're looking at a D-day airframe, there were only 40 IXe, at that time, so it'll take some finding, and don't bother trying to find a XVI, either, since the Mark (even though there were Packard Merlins in some Spitfires) didn't exist until after June, 1944.

Edgar

No, it's based on Bowyer's research, in "Aircraft for the Many," in which he quotes a 1st. June, 1944 census of Spitfires, which showed a total of 5,681 Spitfires in service, of which 40 were L.F.IXe in 2nd. TAF. Since the initial order was for 60 Mk.IX, with this armament, and the leaflets , for the modification, weren't issued until 2-5-44, and the same mod was issued (with the same "Ministry-only working-party" proviso) for the XIV, during the same month, it appears doubtful that any of them were modified, but probably came from the initial order.

Edgar

I knew you had got it from Bowyer, but wondered where he would have got it from. I suspect aircraft such as Johnson's, which started out as a Mk.IXc, would still be carried as a Mk.IXc in the census records. Even if it had been converted by then......and that I suspect is the key.

We are still with the answer "not many".

Just what I needed. Someone to break it down. lol Thanks to all...

Well I "plan" on building Wing Comanders Rolf Arne Berg IXe of the No. 132 (Norwegian) Wing, 2nd Tactical Air Force (Fall 1944). I came across it on The Spitfire Site, and loved the Norwegian bands on the wings and tail. I do plan on scratch building one side of the aircraft weapon bays, possible both. As well as some access panels over the airframe.

In that case, I'd like to recommend a Wings & Wheels Publication, Special Museum Line no. 26 "Spitfire LF.Mk.IX in detail." It's a photo-essay, and includes empty, and filled, gun-bays, plus cockpit photos, etc., but beware of some photos of a Packard Merlin installation, since it differed, markedly, from the Rolls-Royce style. ISBN is 80-86416-25-9.

Edgar

In that case, I'd like to recommend a Wings & Wheels Publication, Special Museum Line no. 26 "Spitfire LF.Mk.IX in detail." It's a photo-essay, and includes empty, and filled, gun-bays, plus cockpit photos, etc., but beware of some photos of a Packard Merlin installation, since it differed, markedly, from the Rolls-Royce style. ISBN is 80-86416-25-9.

Edgar

Thanks. Just found it at Sprue Brothers. Along with a set of G-Factor landing gears.

I was wondering about this same subject.

After some investigation I came to realize that Tamiya is most likely going to release a IXe and a VIII variant of the Spit based on their latest 1/32 product...so I am just going to do a USAAF or British IXc for now. She looks like a great kit in the box and based on some builds being done now, she is a beauty.

Cheers

ATIS

I think it's also a safe bet that once Roy Sutherland gets moved and settled into his new digs, an IXe conversion will be on its way from him. At least I hope so! :)

I wonder who's going to do the early prop blades. The early IXs seem to have had the metal bladed prop from the Mk.VII fitted. The wooden 'knife blade' blades seem to have come along well into IXc production. Edgar?

J

I have also noted that the kit is designed for ease of manufacture of mkIXE and mkVIII but also mkXI, there is a round "disc" to the rear of the wing that is a possible cutout for the rear vertical camera, a new wing, PR-wing (or as a saw once "D-wing") without guns and you have a XI. There is however no provision in the left fuselage for the horisontal camera.

Edited by TuveB
I have also noted that the kit is designed for ease of manufacture of mkIXE and mkVIII but also mkXI, there is a round "disc" to the rear of the wing that is a possible cutout for the rear vertical camera, a new wing, PR-wing (or as a saw once "D-wing") without guns and you have a XI. There is however no provision in the left fuselage for the horisontal camera.

This cutout was discussed a little while back on BritModeller. The thinking was that its for the 'Real Sound and Action' version to allow the wiring to pass out of the fuselage. Unfortunately I doubt Tamiya will do a PR version anytime soon.

Agree. The punch out is not in the right place for a PR.XI, but much more likely to be for a sound-n-action toy version. I think it's fairly likely we'll see a pretty massive aftermarket conversion for a PR.XI at some point however.

J

Agree. The punch out is not in the right place for a PR.XI, but much more likely to be for a sound-n-action toy version.

:thumbsup:

I think it's fairly likely we'll see a pretty massive aftermarket conversion for a PR.XI at some point however.

J

:thumbsup: