Hello all,

I'm kinda new here but not to the Aviation community. Since this is my first posting I'll drop a little background on myself. I'm currently in the US Navy assigned to one of the finest and most professional F/A-18 hornet squadrons in the fleet, The Sidewinders of VFA-86. Although I started my career working on the infamous EA-6B Prowler, I somehow ended up in a Hornet squadron. Cruel joke I'll tell ya! Anyways, during my tours in the few commands I've been in I've had the opportunity to paint a few CAG birds, some of which I see that Hasagawa has taken the liberty of reproducing in a few of their model kits. Here is the list of commands I've been in so far, VAQ-132, TAD with VAQ-139, VAQ-136, small TAD stint in VAQ-137 and VFA-86. my next command is VFA-122. I'll stop babbling now and post the pics. enjoy!

MVC-023S.jpg

MVC-028S.jpg

MVC-046S.jpg

61662_1614218401545_1418875625_1626361_6180422_n.jpg

136-320b.jpg

136-342b.jpg

71666.jpg

BL2-1.jpg

M1.jpg

Edited by usn sti

Thanks! there's a story behind the snake on the plane. I actually drew that design in April of 2009 when were on a detachment in Fallon,NV. The plan was to have the new design on the jet before we left for deployment later that year... long story short and approximately one year later I finally got the approval and the go-ahead to paint the jet with the new design. Conversely you may also notice that on the earlier tails on the inboard side there is the CAG 11 logo with the phrase "speed and violence" and on the newer pictures there are only a pair of dice... yup, more red tape. someone didn't like it so I had to remove it and put something a little more "PC"... oh well, it was fun while it lasted. good thing i took pictures before it was removed!

Edited by usn sti

Firstly, Welcome Aboard ARC !

Glad to have you here ...

Second .... WHOA ! Great tail and nose art ! Reallym Fantastic Stuff ...

I love em all ...

Now you know, we can't have a warplane with the word 'Violence' on it, we don't want anyone to get the wrong idea ... :thumbsup:

Gregg

Firstly, Welcome Aboard ARC !

Glad to have you here ...

Second .... WHOA ! Great tail and nose art ! Reallym Fantastic Stuff ...

I love em all ...

Now you know, we can't have a warplane with the word 'Violence' on it, we don't want anyone to get the wrong idea ... :P

Gregg

speaking personaly gregg they can fly all day with whatever they want to write on them it never harmed anyone !!

it only gets twitchy and personal when government orders are involved

the irony is totaly lost on the powers that be !!

i remember the usaf unit tshirts i used to have in the late 80's with anti warsaw pact messages , people would go appopleptic nowadays

ironicly we are presently the most pc ever yet there is more upset in the world than ever !! how does that work ???

Sux...back when I was in CVW-11 (2001-2004) CAG/DCAG loved it. Our second Admiral, not so much. But he was so anally retentive that VFA-41 ended up scrubbing all the names/callsigns off of their jets rather than have them staffed for PCness.

But then, since the Navy is now "A Global Force for Good" you can't go around reminding folks you may kill people

Edited by Spongebob

Thank you for the kind words! I'll let you guys in on a little secret... If you look closer at the "rookie" nose art you'll notice on the ladies stocking there are 3 orange diamonds. They represent the Sidewinders of VFA-86. I had painted the WWII nose art at the request of Commander Lins (VAQ-137 CO at the time) I guess it was a tribute to his Father who flew B-24's or something. You may also notice the slight sheen outlining "Ready on Arrival". Well, that was a little tip that I learned here on ARC so I owe you guys a big thanks. I was researching clear coats that I could possibly use to protect the acrylic paint. Everything we had on the ship was too harsh or expired so I did a little surfing and stumbled across ARC tip sections where i found out about future floor polish. So again, thanks fellas! =)

I tried to take a few pictures of it flashing but it was tough. I don't have a good enough camera to capture the images. I can try to get one of my co-workers who's an avid photographer to take a few. I'll ask him and get back to you.

Wow, yeah, things are definitely changing... incidently, the current CAG's call sign is... wait for it... "SATAN"... I think we actually had to remove one deployment so it wouldn't offend someone... now I'm pretty sure he's not REALLY Satan as I'm sure it really has a lot to do with his demeanor, of course it's back on the aircraft now.

Sux...back when I was in CVW-11 (2001-2004) CAG/DCAG loved it. Our second Admiral, not so much. But he was so anally retentive that VFA-41 ended up scrubbing all the names/callsigns off of their jets rather than have them staffed for PCness.

But then, since the Navy is now "A Global Force for Good" you can't go around reminding folks you may kill people

Indeed it is true that bringing about good often requires extreme measures of action. At some point in time that may mean killing some people.

• 1 month later...

I don't think the Commander-in-Chief likes to use the word "Victory" on our current war against terrorism......guessing not wanting to offend the enemy. So, it figures how "pc" they are being forced to be.

Glad the Navy SEALs from SEAL Team 3 use the theme "Embrace The Hate". Just google it for images and you'll see.

Awesome art work, truly a work of art!!!

Keep up the good work.

Rio

Semper Fi!

Edited by Mutant_X_109

usn sti.

MAGNIFIQUE art work..

You Sir know how to capture the Audience...

LOVE them ALL and you answered what I was going to ask as to what the 3 marks were on the Lady' s stocking were ...BRILLIANT

ADORBALE ... :wub:

Keep up the good WORK and may you do many more...

And THANK YOU :salute:

HOLMES :D :thumbsup::worship:

I tried to take a few pictures of it flashing but it was tough. I don't have a good enough camera to capture the images. I can try to get one of my co-workers who's an avid photographer to take a few. I'll ask him and get back to you.

Ask someone to take a long exposure, just enough to allow the strobe light to flash at least once.

You'd be set.

Rio

Semper Fi!

gotta be the best job in the world !!! if your time permits it, there´s a matter i would like to discuss with you, perferably in private, so if you would e-mail me on aircraftprofiles@gmail.com i would be greatful

I´m a aviation artist and photo collector, and have done work for several magazines among them tailhook associations member magazine "The Hook"