S-3B Viking gets war paint for Naval Aviation Centennial

Link below. The Viking looks cool in the Midway scheme.

http://www.navair.navy.mil/press_releases/...iew&id=4445

Forgive me if this has already been posted. I thought it was interesting. Some teasers from the article:

"As Naval Aviation prepares for its 100th anniversary in 2011, Fleet Readiness Center Southeast (FRCSE) painters are meticulously applying WWII heritage paint schemes to aircraft currently in the Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard inventories."

"Dann said more than 20 aircraft in the Fleet will receive the WWII paint to commemorate the centennial, including fixed and rotary winged aircraft."

BTW, didn't the Bloodhounds used to be a Phantom squadron?

Edited by Pirata
Would it not be nice if the USN would use said colours and the later darker blue, med blue on top of white schemes for say the Super Hornet and legacy Hornet?

That would look cool. Maybe they'll get some ideas from this. I'm hoping they'll paint up a Black Sheep Harrier as Boyington's or a VFA-103 Super Hornet in VF-17's markings.

VX-30 has been a 'Mixed Airframe' squadron for quite awhile ...

I didn't know that. Thanks. Now, I gotta start looking for decals! :cheers:

Excellent looking Hoover! With 20 aircraft being painted in commemorative schemes I also hope the Navy replicates the mid war tri-color scheme and perhaps the dark sea blue as seen on late Hellcats. Hmm, a gull grey over white hi-vis SH would look great too!

All that stripping of the old paint does not look fun at all.

The final result is nice though.

Now they just need to find a Japanese destroyer through the clouds and follow it to the main fleet...then "Scratch one Flatop!" (Yea, I know that was the battle of Coral Sea)